Password generator in 1Password 8 Quick Access

Comments

• alf12345
    alf12345
    Community Member

How about considering this a bug... The feature was there in 1password7 (at least!) and I used it a lot! When creating accounts it kind of is totally normal to be able to do this fast and in quick access (which was fantastic in 1password7). Not having this is imho not a feature request but rather a bug! (if this helps with priority)

• oziade
    oziade
    Community Member

Hi 1 password team: +1 for bringing back the password generator quick access.
    It's a big ux loss.

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member

Apparently I haven't added my +1 to this topic yet. Please also add ability to NOT save the password in 1Password - I often use(d) this for generating random passwords for other automated temporary password facilities, for which I do not need nor want the generated password saved at all.

• @Hightime, @alf12345, @oziade, @esquared

I appreciate the feedback and have added proxy votes for each of you, thanks for taking the time to explain why this is an important feature to you. 🙂

• jleslie
    jleslie
    Community Member

This is an absolute necessity. Will be going back to 7 until this is added.

• pinecone
    pinecone
    Community Member

@andrew.l_1P Please add another vote for me. This was one of your best features and now it's gone. What's the reasoning?

I use the generator often for creating passwords (that are not stored in 1Password) when creating users for a system I admin.

• Hightime
    Hightime
    Community Member

I was just trying to do this now, and had no way to quickly generate a password. Why change something like this when it was working before? Ridiculous tbh.

• benobi
    benobi
    Community Member

This is a complete tragedy. The inability to generate passwords easily is a MAJOR misstep here. Please fix this ASAP!

• benobi
    benobi
    Community Member

Also - there is no "edit" button when you open an item in it's own window. C'mon team 1pass! Please!

• JimH
    JimH
    Community Member

and me. Just wasted 20 minutes looking for 'password generator' only to discover it no longer exists

• @jleslie, @pinecone, @JimH

I appreciate the feedback folks, proxy votes have been added!

ref: IDEA-I-298

@benobi,

I've also added one for you re: editing items when they're opened in separate windows. 👍🏻

ref: IDEA-I-1162

• aHuman
    aHuman
    Community Member

created an account to pile on with everyone else - bring back that quick access password generator!!!

• Kirkvan
    Kirkvan
    Community Member

+++1!!!

(I reported this missing when 1Password 8 first came out in May and the support rep here on the forum actually asked "Hey @kirkvan, can you share a bit more about your use cases for wanting the password generator to be so prevalant without wanting to save those passwords as items in 1Password?")

Clearly, I wasn't the only one who was using the Password Generator in 1Password Mini! Please bring it back.

• SegeiCMeerkat
    SegeiCMeerkat
    Community Member

As a new user I agree with the previous comments. I was trying to generate a password to join this community and have wasted around 15 minutes going round the houses looking for a password generator button. Do. you test your pre-release software?

• SegeiCMeerkat
    SegeiCMeerkat
    Community Member

P.S. Apart from creating new items, is there a separate password generator in the Mac app? Can't find it but it must be there somewhere, surely. Thanks

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    edited August 2022

Apart from creating new items, is there a separate password generator in the Mac app?

This was discussed here:
    https://1password.community/discussion/comment/649410#Comment_649410

• WestW
    WestW
    Community Member

++1 vote to add back the generator.

Yet another feature that has been lost after upgrading to 1PW8. Sigh....

• RamonT
    RamonT
    Community Member

Same here,
    I use it all the time to generate passwords for my websites and databases.
    So +1 for sure

• adepretis
    adepretis
    Community Member

+1 vote to bring back the generator. After 1PW 7 already messing up the generator UX compared to version 6, 1PW 8 now completely fucks it up - what did the 1PW product management smoke to remove such an essential feature? ;-)

• Gerrit78
    Gerrit78
    Community Member

+1

• TilRoquette
    TilRoquette
    Community Member

+1 - definitely!

• glyph
    glyph
    Community Member

I just spent about 15 minutes poking around the quick access UI because it didn't even occur to me that it might have been removed. Please bring it back!

• SimmonsMD
    SimmonsMD
    Community Member

Switched to 1Password several months ago. My previous password manager had a handy drop-down menu in the system toolbar that included a password generator.

I'd love to have that feature on 1Password.

I realize 1Password has a different work flow, and perhaps with time I'll get used to it. But as of now, I often find myself hunting around for a minute or two until I finally stumble upon 1Password's (deeply buried) password generator.

Thank you!

• Hi folks:

Thanks for your feedback! While I can't promise anything, I've shared your thoughts with the team.

Jack

• n9yty
    n9yty
    Community Member

+1

It irks me when “upgrades” take so many steps BACKWARDS and remove features we rely upon daily. Back on 1PW7 until it will no longer run, 1PW8 has been a huge disappointment in so many ways.

• spartan
    spartan
    Community Member

Just started using 1password, love it so far. Count me in for asking politely for this to return :)

• @SegeiCMeerkat

With the example of signing up for this community (welcome!), I recommend using the 1Password browser extension. It can automatically offer password suggestions, and these can be customized in the browser extension's password generator itself:

@n9yty

We hope you'll try 1Password 8 again in the future, in the meantime your feedback for this feature has been recorded.

@spartan

Thanks for the kind words and letting us know this is important to you, I've also added you to our internal tracker. 😊

• SegeiCMeerkat
    SegeiCMeerkat
    Community Member

Hi, many thanks for the guidance. I stumbled upon the Generator when I was investigating the tools 1Password offers and it does exactly what I want. I've already used it and it worked perfectly.

This discussion has been closed.