How do I disable form autosubmit?

Comments

• HosHousePeppers
    HosHousePeppers
    Community Member

This is SO annoying

Please bring back a toggle for auto submit

I don't want that on many sites I use and it's making me consider dropping back to v7 at this point.

Really frustrating
    Please LISTEN to your paying subscribers here!

• mixture
    mixture
    Community Member

It's been several months and this ability to disable autosubmit still hasn't been brought back. Such a basic feature. I can't believe it. Just can't.

• c224
    c224
    Community Member

@mixture It’s also been several months and still full of bugs on Monterey and Catalina.

• Shango0
    Shango0
    Community Member

Ya, it's really sad and frustrating as a long time user and supporter of 1Password. 1Password used to be fast and innovative and I loved it, recommended it to others, and pushed for use at work. On the outside it is really confusing what happened to the company. Can we please get back to the "Agile" part of AgileBits? Yes, move fast, break things, take chances on new technology and patterns -- but you have to also be able to quickly fall back or react to the results of those actions.

I've downgraded everything to 1Password 7, and am looking at other options, both for my personal/family use as well as corporate use. 1Password 8's behaviors and mandates on my work just break too many things. It's super sad too, as there are some neat features in 1Password 8 (SSH AGENT!), but they just can't overcome the combination of missing features like this (just don't bloody submit for me), frequent slowness or failure to fill, and inconsistent search results.

:super_sad_panda:

• kelchm
    kelchm
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

I have to echo the sentiments from previous posters here. I've been using 1Password for nearly a decade now and this is the first major update that has forced me back to the previous version.

Safari is actually the one browser where we're explicitly not reaching out to the browser extension to perform fills right now,** instead relying entirely on accessibility-based filling** (when using CMD + ). This is due to some challenges we've had getting the Safari extension to quickly and reliably perform actions when requested by the desktop app. We're actively working on this issue and we hope to be able to use the Safari extension to perform fills when using CMD + \ in the future, just like every other browser.

@ag_jarek Is there any update on this? This is by far the biggest pain point I have with 1Password 8 at this point. The accessibility based filling with Safari is awful, particularly when combined with the fact that it auto submits the login form.

Yes, I realize I can use CMD + SHIFT + X, but using CMD + \ is pure muscle memory at this point.

• outcoldman
    outcoldman
    Community Member

+1 for this feature.
    I gave up on 1Password7, and finally decided to switch to 8. The auto-submit caused me several times issues with banks, and some other websites, where the captcha is present. I don't believe this should be considered as a feature request but as a regression. This feature existed in 1Password 7, and I don't see why it is not in 8. Please escalate.

• JesseM
    JesseM
    Community Member

This issue / request has been open since May. Can we get a response from 1Password if making auto-submit an optional toggel is even on the road map fro the devs? Early on there was talk about "counting votes" for this issue. From this htread alone, there seems to be plenty of user interest. Could we get an idea of how many folks have asked for this? Add me as a +1 for making auto-submit optional again. Thanks.

• bigbearword
    bigbearword
    Community Member

I just upgraded to 1Password 8 and thought I was missing something because this is so infuriating to the UX. Please fix this and provide an update here.

• pterisaur
    pterisaur
    Community Member

Is there really no way to turn this off? I just got locked out of an account because it kept auto-submitting the wrong form (there were 2 on the page).

• Hi folks,

Thanks for following up. While I can't share any specifics just yet, adding a toggle for this is definitely on our roadmap. Thanks for your feedback!

Jack

• BobW
    BobW
    Community Member

People have been begging for this at least going back to May, and in the intervening time, people have posted a number of examples of it causing real problems and have posted at length how this is, in fact, a security bug. Heck, in July, I posted about how this directly led to leaking a bunch of my own family's PII and private information to outsiders. These are serious security concerns.

The bottom line is that this "feature" is a disaster, as you guys knew it was when you killed it the first time around in the v7 days. Yet, a fix is still only on the roadmap? That suggests some time in the future other than the near-future, and it's already been months and many releases. I'm pretty patient, but this is not the type of fix that should take months or (gulp) years to implement. If adding a toggle in the UI is that complicated, then just delete the one or two method calls that trigger the submit; it's better we have to wait for the toggle to get the feature back than wait for the toggle to be able to disable the thing.

• skatch
    skatch
    Community Member

I’m also surprised at how long this is taking to resolve. I downgraded back to v7 a few months ago, optimistically thinking I’d be on 8 later in the year. But judging by the pace of minor fixes like this, to say nothing of some of the bigger problems with 8, I’ll remain on v7 for a couple years. Kind of a bummer, but at least v7 is working as well as ever for now.

• Hi @BobW / @skatch:

Thanks for following up on this. While I can't promise a timeline, I'm hopeful this will be sooner rather than later.

Jack

• nfarina
    nfarina
    Community Member

+1, prevents me from checking the "remember me" box and also is just annoying! Also would like an option to always show the list of possible logins even when there's just one. Right now pressing the hotkey for Universal Autofill feels very "risky."

• chrisdidge
    chrisdidge
    Community Member

+1. I'm still on v7 and won't be upgrading to v8 until you Remove AutoSubmit and the other bugs in v8.

• glyph
    glyph
    Community Member

+1, the "remember me" behavior is very annoying. Not only does it not let me check it, sometimes it un-checks it even on sites where it's initially visible if I've explicitly checked the checkbox beforehand!! I can't find any way to edit hidden form fields in the UI, either.

• aceeare
    aceeare
    Community Member

While autosubmit is horrible, I'd also love to be able to disable autofill and get ride of the 1Password icon everywhere I'm trying to fill in my address, phone, etc. Safari does a nice job of autofill for these things, but the new 1Password v8 is completely taking over all of it. I've been with 1Password since the beginning, and don't want to start over somewhere else, but I may have to. The autofill is making me crazy.

• jackbrewster
    jackbrewster
    Community Member

@aceeare You can turn off the Safari prompts in the browser extension settings. Right-click on the toolbar icon to access settings (these are separate from the Mac app’s settings). Try turning off Autofill > Show autofill menu on field focus. You’ll still see the 1P icon in form fields, but you’ll have to click it to display the list of available logins. Much less whack-a-mole this way. 🙂

• aceeare
    aceeare
    Community Member

Thanks! I did that, and then decided to just go ahead and reinstall 7 which is making me feel so much better. No autofill, autosubmit, and everything is back in alphabetical order. Whew.

• JoshuaJMorgan
    JoshuaJMorgan
    Community Member

I just discovered that 1Password 8 auto-submits with no way to disable it while I was logged into my webhost's admin panel and I was trying to set the FTP user and database passwords for a newly hosted domain. v8 kept auto-submitting the password I use to log into my webhost's site and never giving me a chance to enter the specific passwords that I wanted to use for my OWN domain. I had to completely disable the v8 Chrome browser extension altogether before I was able to input the actual passwords that I wanted to use. Please, please, PLEASE give us a way to disable auto-submit in v8!

• calebruth
    calebruth
    Community Member

I would like to add my voice to the feature request to DISABLE auto-submit. It causes big problems with sites with CAPTCHAs and hardware keys. It makes 1P8 worse than 1P7/6 and makes the autofill feature useless with many sites.

HAHAHAHAHA. auto-submit just prevented me from registering on this support site by auto-submitting before I ticked the "I agree" checkbox.

Please fix this glaring omission to the product. (Apple keychain beckons.)

• MGDominguez
    MGDominguez
    Community Member

I remember there was a 1Password blog post about how auto-submit was not a good idea and therefore would not be used. I think it was around the time 7 was released. Some people complained but I thought it made sense.

And now, here we are, a few years later and the same company has made a U-turn about this, pushed it out without an option to disable it, and like many others have said, it causes problems in several websites. I also don't understand why it has to appear as being typed, I think is some accessibility feature that needs to be used for the plugin to work.

Version 8 is such an odd mix of compromises, new features and old ones being removed, that I went back to versión 7, which I've never done since my first license was purchased way back in 2009. Fortunately, I haven't updated on my iOS devices, and I don't plan to for a long time.

• face
    face
    Community Member

@Jack.P_1P any news about that ? I've downloaded again 1P 8 hoping to find that request implemented but still no way to disable auto-submit in v8! Incredible! :(

• craiglttl
    craiglttl
    Community Member

+1 for adding an option to disable auto-submit. This is a key feature I look for out of a password manager and it's been a frustrating omission in my use of 1P 8.

Thank you for the consideration.

• mixture
    mixture
    Community Member

Still waiting. As a paying 1Password Family customer (and one who has used 1Password for over a decade), this very much sucks that it takes so long to implement such a BASIC FEATURE.

• Shango0
    Shango0
    Community Member

Any updates here? The months just keep ticking by...

If 1Password isn't going to support this rudimentary feature, please just say so. It'd really save us from holding out hope that this will get fixed, and we can move along to other password managers.

I'd really prefer not to have to move (and maybe that's what 1Password is depending on here), but this has been an absolutely atrocious experience as a user.

• mgl03
    mgl03
    Community Member

I agree @Shango0. The degradation of basic features is sad.

1Password has been a trusted resource for nearly 15 years. Starting to explore other options.

• mdenwood
    mdenwood
    Community Member

I've also been frustrated several times by the auto-submit "feature". Please consider this yet another vote to allow us to disable auto-submit!!!

This discussion has been closed.