Search bug related to record titles

Options
wagnerone
wagnerone
Community Member

I was looking for a 1Password record today and searched for "311".

Nothing came up despite knowing I have records with "311" in them.

Turns out the record I was searching for had a title of "Something311".

1Password could not find this record using search.

If I rename it to "Something 311" it can be found using search.

No bueno!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• sergiorru
    sergiorru
    Community Member
    Options

Same case here,

I just searched for "postman" in my case, and no search result was found, but I have an item that has in the website section the url https://*.getpostman.com

In the version 8 for Mac, the search suffered a terrible downgrade, in the 7 version those search problems never happened.

Other sample, I use frequently the Note Field to store important sensitive data. On the version 7 i was able to search and result Note fields are indexed, in the 8 version don't.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

Search in its current state is barely usable. AgileBits knows about these problems for almost 7 months. But apart from constantly telling us that they are listening nothing has changed.
    The reason behind the changes is Unicode support. You now can search for every exotic Unicode character but are not able find parts of words. Breaking one basic principle in software development: don‘t break working features by adding new ones.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

I would be more than happy if they would add an option to fully replace search with find. As find is the pretty much how all previous 1Password version used to work. Sadly find has to be called again and again via shortcut and is placed in an unusual place whereas the broken search remains visible all the time and occupies screen space that could better be used by find.

• rpallred
    rpallred
    Community Member
    Options

Just had this again this morning and came to make sure it's still on radar. Just saved an entry for WSDOT's GoodToGo website. A search for good finds nothing. Searching by the username I just set up found the item. The browser plugin named the entry mygoodtogo. If I manually change the name to My Good to Go now it is found by 1P when I search for good.

• wagnerone
    wagnerone
    Community Member
    Options

Whoa!

CMD-OPT-F actually finds the record I want to find that Search cannot. I didn't realize there are 2 different "find" mechanisms.

Good tip, random Internet person!

• PeterG_1P
    edited July 2022
    Options

Hi @wagnerone, it's good to hear that the cmd-opt-f find option locates the entries you need. This was added recently to support the use cases where search is not meeting your needs efficiently.

I do appreciate the input that folks have provided on this issue. While I can't offer any timeline on improvements to the main search feature, I'm happy to pass on the requests to make find the default functionality. Thank you for letting us know what you'd like to see!

ref: IDEA-I-289

• wagnerone
    wagnerone
    Community Member
    Options

Hi again. Very frustrated today.

The standard search functionality is still not working for me on 1Password for Mac 8.9.0, 80900001, on BETA channel.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

You need at least 80901013, currently available as nightly build.

• Hi @wagnerone:

As @viswiz mentioned (thanks for the assist!), our new substring search functionality is only currently available in the nightly releases, and isn't in the stable or beta channel just yet.

Jack

• wagnerone
    wagnerone
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. It's working for me when switching to nightly.

However, my mom and sister aren't cut out for nightly builds and are still affected. What is the ETA for fixing this for everyone?

• Hi @wagnerone, thanks for letting us know this works for you in the Nightly.

We don't have a timetable on when this will make it to Production, since we need to make room for customer feedback, potential bug fixes and improvements, and so on. But pending the thorough testing that ensures everything functions properly, we'll look forward to sharing news about the introduction of this feature to Beta and Production channels when it comes. Thanks for trying out this early version!

• Hi @wagnerone - the substring search matching has now made it to our latest Production build! And we welcome your family to try it out. Let us know how it works for you; we're always grateful for the feedback!

• wagnerone
    wagnerone
    Community Member
    Options

Great! Thank you for the followup.

This discussion has been closed.