Feature Request: Support for other Masked Email providers

joe24
joe24
Community Member
edited March 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

I would guess that there's probably a decent overlap of 1Password and ProtonMail customers. This year ProtonMail acquired https://simplelogin.io for masked email creation (https://simplelogin.io/blog/simplelogin-join-proton/) and I'm wondering how it could be made available in the same way as

Masked Email - Keep your real email address private. Automatically create new, random email addresses you can use when signing up to services online. Any emails from those services get sent right to your primary inbox. If you start receiving spam, you can block that address with a single click.
https://support.1password.com/fastmail/

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:masked email

Comments

• B0rg
    B0rg
    Community Member

When will AB add AnonAddy integration to 1Password v8? I don't want to pay 50 usd + tax for fastmail just to use the email masking option.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

AnonAddy does seem to offer an API (unlike Apple, which is also request a few times): https://app.anonaddy.com/docs/

• B0rg
    B0rg
    Community Member

Yeah, that why i ask AB for this option, because Apple does not provide api access.

• @joe24

I'll be happy to let the team know you're interested in this ability.

ref: IDEA-I-223

• joe24
    joe24
    Community Member

Thanks @ag_tommy 😀

• beevk
    beevk
    Community Member

+1

• jmreekes
    jmreekes
    Community Member

AnonAddy and SimpeLogin support would be great additions.

• Kev0909
    Kev0909
    Community Member

Commenting to add my +1 for Fastmail alternatives integration (AnonAddy and SimpleLogin in particular). Bitwarden has made creating email aliases really easy with their recent integrations of AA, SL, Firefox Relay, and soon Fastmail. Would be great if 1Password could implement that as well.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2022

Thanks, @Kev0909. I've added your thoughts to our tracking system for this feature request. 😃

Ben

ref: IDEA-I-1287

• Kev0909
    Kev0909
    Community Member

Thanks, @Ben!

• norysang
    norysang
    Community Member

I would love to see an integration of AnonAddy and SimpleLogin as well. Fastmail is a nice service but if used only for masked email it is kind of overkill, both finance and functionality wise.

• daver3k
    daver3k
    Community Member

I was just reminded of this feature by a post I saw on Reddit - please add me and my family members (four users total) as wanting integration with AnonAddy and/or SimpleLogin. I personally am more invested in AnonAddy, but I use SimpleLogin as well and would welcome integration with either.

• @norysang and @daver3k

Thank you for the feedback! I've added your votes to the feature request tracking item. 🙂

-Dave

• KH9882
    KH9882
    Community Member

+1 for additional email masking service integrations.

• @KH9882

I've added your vote. 🙂

-Dave

• arcety
    arcety
    Community Member

Also, a +1 for me Annonaddy support would be amazing!

• TravelSD
    TravelSD
    Community Member

Across all providers 1Password needs a way to allow the user to specify the username portion of the masked email address when we use a custom domain that we own. For example, banking.787@mydomain.com. Right now masked emails are nearly useless to me as they are randomly generated, which is great for a domain you don't own, but needed for custom domains.

• omartayel
    omartayel
    Community Member

+1 for me to integrate Annonaddy

• TravelSD
    TravelSD
    Community Member

+1 for SimpleLogin

• Brrry
    Brrry
    Community Member

+1

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Across all providers 1Password needs a way to allow the user to specify the username portion of the masked email address when we use a custom domain that we own. For example, banking.787@mydomain.com.

Wouldn’t that be way less random?

• TravelSD
    TravelSD
    Community Member

@XIII I don't WANT random masked email usernames.

• Zaka7
    Zaka7
    Community Member

@XIII It would. But lots of people, myself included want both.

I have a SL domain I use for services I trust that little bit more. Then completely random ones for services I intend to use once or sign upto a newsletter (etc) So the ability to do both would be superb.

• TravelSD
    TravelSD
    Community Member

@Zaka7 Exactly! We need user choice. I personally don't use any random usernames for my custom domain.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

I don't WANT random masked email usernames.

Looks like I don’t understand: if they are no longer random, what’s still masked?

• TravelSD
    TravelSD
    Community Member

@XIII My email address is masked.

• clemens1
    clemens1
    Community Member

Hello everyone, I’d like to add my +1 for the AnonAddy and SimpeLogin support feature request.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the feedback @clemens1! I've shared your input about this with our devs. Let us know if you have any other questions.

PB: 31684995

PB: 31081862

• JoT
    JoT
    Community Member

+1
    I just upgraded to v8 after getting the EOL notice popup in v7, and discovered masked mail.
    I would have expected protonmail to be at the very top of the list when agilebits looked for an initial email provider to pilot this feature with, but was sadly disappointed.

As someone else noted, there is indeed an overlap between 1password and protonmail customers. Agilebits seeks to offer the best password management solution out there, and has garnered a good reputation. Protonmail is your counterpart in that regard for secure and private email.

I can understand why you went with fastmail initially, since they have some thoughts about distinguishing themselves, and made a slight bet on privacy. However, please consider protonmail as your second provider, since that service is really the gold standard in terms of private and secure email (as much as a hosted one can be) where-as fastmail with its server-side unencrypted processing (and FISA court subjection) is far from being that.

• TravelSD
    TravelSD
    Community Member

@JoT Technically I think you mean SimpleLogin, which is now owned by the Proton group.