Update an existing record

Andrew42
Andrew42
Community Member

I think I must be living in a senior moment. I cannot work out how to update and existing record in 1P8. It used to be so simple in 1P7: Go to the site, Open but do not action the log in click the right button and save as a new login or update. Bingo - job done. I cannot work out how to do it either in Windows or on iPhone or iPad. What am I missing?

Why when I try to find a user guide for windows all i find is some sketchy document that doesn't cover even this most basic of actions.

Thank you for your help.

1Password Version: 8.9.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 10 Pro
Browser:_ Edge or whatever it is now called

Comments

• Reeze
    Reeze
    Community Member

Oh my good lord - I thought it's just me and I'm just too dumb to figure it out but i have the EXACT SAME problem..
    I am new to 1 password so I thought IT MUST BE ME...

• Reeze
    Reeze
    Community Member

Update:
    So I figured out that the mask will change to "update" from "save" IF there is already an existing Entry with a match for the URL.

Background: I came from keepass where I stored all cridentials WITHOUT the url. So I have about 180 entries without url. I was hope that when I login to any website for the first time, I can just "update" an existing entry which was imported from Keepass.... but that is just not possible as it stands.

• Hey folks, thanks for reaching out.

@Andrew42, do you happen to have the latest version of 1Password in your browser installed (web extension)? With the extension installed, you should be automatically prompted to update an existing record or save a new item. If you have the extension installed, I recommend checking out these two guides:

Let me know if that helps!

@Reeze, not having a URL attached to items would certainly explain why you aren't always prompted to update existing logins. The URL is required to associate a specific login to a website which prompts you to update the entry if you make any changes on the site. So when you fill the credentials, 1Password will see it as a new item and prompt you to save it as such.

Although I understand this may not be an ideal solution, I would recommend adding a URL to each of your saved logins in 1Password.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Ali

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

@AliHP. I do not know if I have the latest extension: mine is 2.3.7 on Windows. My 1P version is 8.9.5 and I am signed up for Beta versions but I don't think this one is Beta as I've lost the ability to open in a secure desktop which was in the last Beta.
    I will read both articles to see if they help. Thank you.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Even if I have the latest extension I do NOT get any prompt to update an existing login. If I did I wouldn't be writing about having the problem.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

Update: For reasons totally unconnected with 1P I had to reset my browser (Edge) to its defaults. In so doing all my extensions were wiped out. When I went to add them back I found that I had loaded but uninstalled two browser extensions for 1P. The first was under the "Microsoft Store" and entitled 1Password - Password Manager. The second was listed under "From Other Sources" and entitled 1Password Extension (Desktop app required). Why I have two? No idea. Which was origianlly installed? Equally no idea. Maybe both were installed. What is the difference between them? Again no idea.

Anyway I installed the one from the Microsoft Store and it seems to be working better than on previous days.

However I have another question related to this. I was on a website (UPS) and it asked me to change my password and there was a field for me to enter a new password. This was, I thought, an excellent time for me to use the 1P generator but I totally failed to find how do do that. Again it is something that was easy to do in 1P7. How is it now meant to be done? This field did not have a 1P icon in it, just a blank box for the password to be entered. I clicked the 1P extension icon in my browser but that onlly took me to that ridiculous "Suggestions". So I had to make up a minimum 12 character password including a mixture of Upper and Lower Case, at least one number and at least one special character. Having created it I was al least asked if I wanted to update my record but I wanted access to the Password generator, too.

Thanks for your help in telling me how to do that.

• Hello @andrew42,

Thanks for getting back to us. Regarding the Secure Desktop, this continues to be available in Beta and Nightly versions of 1Password 8, but not in Production versions: Use 1Password beta releases

The second extension mentioned, 1Password Extension (Desktop app required) is our 1Password classic extension and does not work alongside 1Password 8. I'm happy to hear things are working better after installing 1Password in the browser.

In order to access the password generator through 1Password in the browser, I'll include our guide here to create a custom password. Please let us know if this helps or if you have any further questions or concerns.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

@ag_mike_d . Thank you for your response. I must be doing somehting wrong because I did click on th 1P extension in my browser. As I mentioned it took me to "Suggestions" (whcih I dislike, why can't we be taken to something useful like Favorites), I did not click on the three dots but when I do that now from this forum there is no Create a Customer password listed. There is a Change Password but when when I click on that it takes me back to the main page of this forum and nowhere does it show a Password generator. I know I must be doing something wrong and I hope you can put me right but 1P is far from being easy to use and intuitive, unlike 1P7

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

@ag_mike_d. As a follow up and trying to learn I clciked on 1P in the browser,went to the Agilebits Forum and clicked on the three dots. Attached is a scrren show of what I got. Nowhere does it say "Password Generator". Click on "Change Password" and as I mentioned it takes me the the Agilebits Community and the first page of this forum.!

• Hello again @Andrew42,

Sorry for the continued troubles. From the main 1Password in the browser window when opened with icon in the browser taskbar, you are defaulted to Suggestions but this can be changed by clicking the Suggestions heading and selecting something more useful to you, such as Favourites:

Then, if you close and reopen your browser, are you seeing this default to Favourites?

Thanks for attaching the screenshot! The three dot menu you are looking at is the More Options menu for the item you've currently selected. The Password generator is located in a different menu as depicted below:

The Change Password option from the More Options menu in 1Password in the browser is taking you to the URL associated with the Login item you've selected. Instead, I wanted to provide you with our below guides which includes steps to:

I hope these additional images and guides are helpful. As always, we're here to help should need any further guidance. Thanks!

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Thank you. That was very helpful regarding finding the password generator. However the issue of defaulting to Suggestions has not gone away. If I do as you suggest and change it to Favourites that works as long as I stay in the browser. Howver, if I close the browser and re-open it I am back to Suggestions again. I've tested this both on a Windows PC with Edge and an iPad with Safari: both behave the same way.

I have just saved this message as a draft backed out of the browser and came back in again. I clicked on the 1P icon in the browser tool and up came "Suggestions". I changed it to Favourites and opened a second browser window. 1P defaulted to correctly Favourites. Saved this message again as a draft and closed all browser windows, came back in again and am back to "Suggestions".

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

@ag_mike_d .

Bingo! I found that I can set the 1P to open with Favourites by changing a setting in the General Area of Settings. Now my 1P is behaving as I would like.

Onward and Upward!

• @Andrew42, that's great news - thanks for the updates here. I'm happy I was able to help with finding the password generator in 1Password in the browser.

I'm currently not seeing any issues with 1Password in the browser losing settings and reverting back to Suggestions, but glad you found that additional General setting to Open 1Password to: suggestions/favourites/all items and this has helped to get 1Password behaving favourably!

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

I spoke too soon. It works perfectly in Windows but on an Ipad or an Iphone I have been unable to find the same Settings screen. I attach the screen I can find in Windows. You will see the Settings General Block "Open 1Password to..." and there is a drop down box containing "Suggestions, "Favorites" and "All Items" where is that to be found in IOS for iPhone and iPad? I have looked everywhere that I could think of. Thanks again for your help.

• Hello again @Andrew42,

Thanks for getting back to me. I don't see the attached screenshot, but sounds as though you are referring to the setting of 1Password in the browser, the browser extension itself on your Windows device:

On iOS (iPhone/iPad), these same settings do not exist in the app. Rather, it sounds like you are referring to the home screen or items tab and you can follow this guide to get to know 1Password for iOS and how to customize your home screen and items tab.

If this is not what you are referring to, could you please send a along a screenshot of what you are seeing and we'd be happy to take a look. When sending a screenshot, please be sure to redact any personal or private information. Looking forward to hearing back from you.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Thank you @ag_mike_d. I learn from you each time. Moving from 1P7 to 1P8 is in no ways easy; a fact whcih is complicated by the App and 1P in the Browser not always behaving the same way. I will go to my grave believing that 1P8 was released too soon, with so many 1P7 features missing and with a documentation that I find very weak. Unlike others, I have no intention of reverting to 1P7 as that product is not going to be developed any further. If I change it will be to another vendor completely. But I must admit to being severely disappointed with the stock 1P phrase: "We are working on it but cannot give you a time frame". This is repeated so often and about so many missing features: dispiritng. It supports my theory that 1P8 was not ready for release and seesm to indicate that 1P engineers are working against time to bring the product up to scratch. I hope you succeed.

• Hi @Andrew42,

Thanks for the additional feedback here and we appreciate your passion for 1Password.

In general, when we mention that we don't have a timeline to share, it's due a feature that has yet to be greenlit, still in it's initial phases or currently under development. We tend to keep our plans fairly close to the chest and announce new features once they are available in Beta channels so they can be further tested before reaching Production. You can keep an eye open for new updates here: 1Password Releases

We're always interested in learning from our customers where improvements can be made. If there are any other features, suggestions, or improvements you'd like to see added to 1Password 8, just let us know and we'd be happy to send this along to our product team for future consideration.

Have a great day!

This discussion has been closed.