Feature Request: Character Counter

Options
mgargan1
mgargan1
Community Member

Some websites have different password length requirements. For instance, the one I'm trying to sign up for right now requires a PW to be less than 15 characters.

It would be handy dandy if there was a character counter feature within 1Password.

I know I can just as easily google it, or paste in an office app; but that requires more mouse and keyboard clicking... I would prefer not to open up multiple apps if I don't have to.

Is this the best way to submit a feature request?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• AliH1P
    edited September 2022
    Options

Hey @mgargan1, thanks for reaching out! I can certainly file a feature request on your behalf but could you tell me a little more about this? Where exactly would you like to see a character counter? You mentioned this would be used to meet website password requirements, is this for passwords you create yourself?

As an alternative, the Smart Password Generator in 1Password for your browser attempts to use a website's guidelines to generate an appropriate password, but that doesn't work for all websites.

In these cases, you can adjust the parameters on the fly with the Password Generator in your browser:

1. Click on the 1Password extension icon in your browser.
    2. Select Settings > Password Generator
    3. Change the Type from Smart Password to Random Password.
    4. Adjust the password parameters to suit your needs.

If you'd prefer, you can set the Random Password as the default for suggestions.

Let me know if this helps or if you could provide more details about the feature request I can help with that!

Ali

• mgargan1
    mgargan1
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @AliH1P , thanks so much for the response!

So, in my head, I would see several use-cases for this character counter. However, the initial catalyst that got me to think that 1Password could be the ideal platform for this was when I had to create a password that was less than 15 characters.

There are other times that a character counter could come in handy, and for those unique or specific cases I could either
    1: open up OneNote - if it isn't already open, and use a macro
    2: open up Word, if it isn't already open
    3: google search "character counter" and open the first result, and use that...

But, for me, 1Password is always running, and it would be a useful feature to have... not just for passwords, but a feature for several different applications. I could use a keyboard shortcut to bring up 1Password, which is more convenient that opening word, or onenote or a new browser tab that isn't already opened.

I'm aware of the password generator, and the functionality and flexibility it provides. However, for the most part, I generally prefer to create my own passwords.

I added some screenshots, and hopefully this helps to communicate my thought process, and the challenge/problem (which I admit is fairly trivial) that I could see 1password being a solution for.

• AliH1P
    edited September 2022
    Options

Hey @mgargan1, thanks for your detailed feature request. While I can't make any promises regarding whether this is something that will be implemented, I have created an internal feature request on your behalf for our team's consideration.

Let me know if there's anything else we can help with!

Ali

ref: IDEA-I-1872

• mgargan1
    mgargan1
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you! @AliH1P

• You're most welcome @mgargan1!

Take care and have a wonderful day 😄

This discussion has been closed.