GitHub SSH signing error: The system cannot find the file specified

Options
cubanx
cubanx
Community Member
edited September 2022 in SSH

Hello!

I'm getting this error when trying to use ssh signing:
error: Error: AppError { error: Os { code: 2, kind: NotFound, message: "The system cannot find the file specified." }, location: Location { file: "ssh\\op-ssh-sign\\src\\ops.rs", line: 41, col: 52 } }

I added the SSH key from the GitHub page.

If I try to run C:\Users\cuban\AppData\Local\1Password\app\8\op-ssh-sign.exe directly, it starts the process of creating a new key.

I can do that, but I suspect that's not the "right" way, although I bet it will work :)

This is on Windows 11, git version: 2.37.3.windows.1

1Password Version: 8.9.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:The system cannot find the file specified

Comments

• cubanx
    cubanx
    Community Member
    Options

No one has seen anything like this?

• Hey @cubanx thanks for the post! Just to double check, have you created or imported an SSH key in a private vault in 1Password, and then registered it with GitHub? You can find more information on that here.

One other thing that would help ensure you are on the right path is if you can authenticate using the key stored in 1Password. With the public key added to GitHub as an Authentication key, you should be able to run:

ssh -T git@github.com

And be able to successfully authenticate using 1Password.

• cubanx
    cubanx
    Community Member
    edited September 2022
    Options

I had to go back to Gpg4Win which works.

However, when I run that command now, I get: git@github.com: Permission denied (publickey).

Maybe that's part of the problem? I have Gpg4Win set up and working, could that collide with getting it working in 1Password?

Also, yes, I have it a Private vault, and it's registered on GitHub.

• cubanx
    cubanx
    Community Member
    Options

Here's a couple of screenshots of the setup. Let me know what else could help.

• cubanx
    cubanx
    Community Member
    Options

UGH, never mind. I had a specific singing key set up in my current repo, but the 1Password app added it to global config.

I moved the changes over to the specific repo config and it seems to be working.

• cubanx
    cubanx
    Community Member
    Options

Now I'm running into the prompt running for every SSH request. I'll turn it off for a bit and wait for a few versions, unless you need my diagnostic info.

Thanks!

• @cubanx Thanks for sharing your updates, and sorry about all the headache! I'm glad to see you have it up and running now. As for the prompting frequency, I know the team is actively working on some improvements for this. Check out this thread for some more info and to submit diagnostic info if you'd like.

• cubanx
    cubanx
    Community Member
    Options

Already submitted some diag info! Thanks for your help.

This discussion has been closed.