Wanting a feature back. Searching within one vault only

Options
othernote1792
othernote1792
Community Member
edited October 2022 in Mac

On the Mac OS Desktop & IOS app for 1 Password 8, I used to be able to be in a specific vault and search, lets say Facebook, and only get the results for that vault. Now it searches all vaults together with no distinction, which makes it hard to pinpoint the result I'm looking for. When searching on the desktop a drop down appears as I'm searching, but hitting enter only takes me to that first result in the drop down list. It's doesn't open a new search results window with just the Facebook results for example.

1Password Version: 8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS 11.6.8
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2022
    Options

Hi @othernote1792

This is currently possible, at least on desktop. To do so:

1. Select the vault you'd like to search in the sidebar
    2. Activate search function using ⌘F or Edit > Search
    3. Type your query

I hope that helps!

Ben

ref: IDEA-I-1480

• othernote1792
    othernote1792
    Community Member
    Options

When I do this on Mac OS, 1Passwork 8.9.4, It does drop me down to the first entry, but beyond that the entries aren't highlighted or the only thing shown in the window, nor does is group multiple login cards if they aren't already connected with the first word alphabetically. I really think the search should be in a new window or screen forward that just shows the results, nothing else.

And on the IOS app regardless of what vault I select, it still shows the results from all vaults. 1P8 on phone I get all 8 results from all vaults. On 1P7 I see only one result from the one vault I'm in. Streamlined and easy to see without sifting.

• Woodendog
    Woodendog
    Community Member
    Options

I just upgraded to 1Password8 and pretty much noticed this difference straight away.
    I wish I harnt upgraded now as I have a number of vaults for different family members and the last thing I need it the confusion os seeing results from all vaults.
    Will this be improved in future or can I revert back to 1Password 7 ?

• Woodendog
    Woodendog
    Community Member
    Options

By the way I see the work around but how does that help when I am on my iPad or iPhone?

• Ben
    Options

To accomplish the same thing on iPhone, prefix your search with the vault you want to search, like so:

=vault:Personal Hello World

We're evaluating how we can make the UX for this better, especially on mobile. In the meantime, I hope that helps!

Ben

ref: IDEA-I-1480

• Woodendog
    Woodendog
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben. Thanks for your response. I have spent a bit more time playing with 1Password 8 and also reinstalling 1Password 7.
    I really cannot see the logic of the change you have made to 1Password 8. As I mentioned before I have a number of vaults for different people as I help other family members such as my mother and my son. With 1Password 7 I could select a specific vault and would then be able to easily search in that vault only. Also I would see all tags that are relevant only to items in that vault. Seeing relevant tags is extremely useful as I do not necessarily remember exactly which tags I have created or the syntax of them. With 1Password 7 I could also choose to select 'All Vaults' if I want to work with all vaults. This then allows a global search and shows me all the tags that relate to all items in any of the vaults.
    Why on earth was it decided to remove this functionality? I cannot see the logic. We now have to enter vault specific searches which takes more time and effort.
    Consequently I have decided to roll back to 1Password 7 on all my devices.
    Please let me know if the vault separation facility is being considered for future releases of 1Password 8.

This discussion has been closed.