Face ID Not Working [Fixed. Please see the approved answer for details.]

Comments

• vinaygup
    vinaygup
    Community Member

its iOS 16.01. I think its specific to just iPhone 14s. ios16.1 is still in beta. I can share diags. How?

• jambeze
    jambeze
    Community Member

Same issue [#FAX-97231-352]

• Jack.P_1P
    edited September 2022

Hi folks:

@shadowplayer:

A good way to reproduce the error is just repeatedly fill the same password field. It will eventually fail.

This is actually something separate from the issue where Face ID / Touch ID isn't available at all. We're investigating this as well. As for the issue where

ref: dev/core/core#16892

@mikiwa:

We're still investigating the cause of this. We do have a solution that's worked for other people running into this, but as it requires factory resetting your iPhone and restoring from an iCloud backup, it's definitely something that should be done at your own risk. Let me know if you'd like to go further and I can share the steps with you. We're hoping to know more soon on this issue, so waiting for the fix would be recommended, but if you'd like this sorted out right away, we do have options.

Jack

• Hacktron
    Hacktron
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

@vinaygup

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/133622/1password-8-unable-to-use-face-id-on-ios-16#latest

Your forum username: vinaygup

• mikiwa
    mikiwa
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

@Jack.P_1P yes, please share the steps. Thank you.

• shadowplayer
    shadowplayer
    Community Member

Yes, please share steps

• medcom2443
    medcom2443
    Community Member

Any updates on this. I have upgraded to 1Password 8 for Mac. I also had to re-set my iPhone settings and since then I cannot use Face ID to open 1Password. I have re-installed the 1Password app, checked to make sure 1Password is approved for using Face ID on my phone. App ‘acts’ like Face ID passed but requires entering password always. Very frustrating.

• Hi @medcom2443:

Thanks for following up. We're still investigating, but hope to know more soon. We'll be sure to follow up with everyone as soon as we know more.

Jack

• Hi @shadowplayer / @mikiwa:

It's important to note that there is the potential for data loss here. As with anything that involves resetting and restoring your device, ensure that you have a full backup of your device before proceeding.

1. In the Settings app, tap your name at the top > iCloud > iCloud Backup. Then turn on "Back Up This iPhone / iPad" if necessary and tap "Back Up Now". Allow the backup to proceed.
    2. Use the < back arrow at the top-left corner repeatedly to return to the main Settings list.
    3. Tap General > Transfer or Reset iPhone / iPad > Erase All Contents And Settings.
    4. Follow the onscreen instructions to make a final backup, sign out of your Apple ID, and erase the device.
    5. When the device restarts, choose your language, country/region, and Wi-Fi network, then choose "Restore From iCloud Backup".
    6. Sign in with your Apple ID and choose your most recent iCloud backup.

After performing these steps, the other important thing to do is to avoid using any options from the Transfer or Reset iPhone menu in Settings > General. We've found that using Reset All Settings may be linked to this issue.

Jack

• glowa1313
    glowa1313
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

Same issue here with password 8 and ios 16. I would be happy to be able to downgrade to password 7. Honestly speaking without face id using 1password is painfull and does not make much sense.

• shawnye
    shawnye
    Community Member

@vinaygup

If you reset settings on iPhone 14, maybe FaceID will also stop working. I assume RESET ALL SETTING may destroy 1P8’s chain access on iOS side.

But I still do not understand why 1P7 works fine after this “disaster” if they are sharing the same logic on code. Seems like the only way is to wait for new releases 😤

• Hacktron
    Hacktron
    Community Member

For anyone else who finds this thread there is a workaround on iOS if you’ve had 1Password 7 installed in the past.

Go to the App Store - go to your purchased app history - redownload 1Password 7 and voila Face ID works again.

Really hope they get 1Password 8 fixed soon but at least I get the experience back from version 7.

• 00pertbalsa
    00pertbalsa
    Community Member

@Jack.P_1P I remember I did run Reset All Settings once at some point before (maybe with 1Password 8 testflight installed). but the other apps work just fine using FaceID. hope this issue can be fixed asap

• rannyd
    rannyd
    Community Member

Hi,

Note this isn’t the known safari extension issue, this is completely outside of safari:

I got an iPhone 14 Pro yesterday and restored from my iCloud backup. Once I logged in, 1Password worked totally fine with Face ID and Autofill as expected. But for other reasons I decided to do a full settings reset on my phone (not a factory reset, just settings) and now Face ID and Autofill don’t work at all.

When I try to click the key button when logging into any app, Face ID scans my face then gives me in the 1Password window a message saying “that didn’t work.” I then have to enter my master password to get my logins. Autofill suggestions never show up above my keyboard, only the lock icon, even if I’m logged into the app and it hasn’t timed out (face ID doesn’t work on the 1pw 8 app either)

I’ve verified 1Password is checked in the iOS Autofill settings. I’ve verified Face ID is turned on for 1Password both in app and in iOS settings.

I’ve tried logging out of 1Password and logging back in (both with the remembered email address and with a fresh re entry of secret key etc)

I’ve tried turning Autofill and Face ID off then back on.

I’ve tried the above but with a power cycle in between turning off and back on.

I’ve tried an erase of the app and then repeated all of the above troubleshooting steps.

No matter what I get these errors when I try to use Face ID and Autofill. Works totally fine on my Mac and PC. This app is really frustrating to use without Face ID and Autofill - any known solutions?

• rannyd
    rannyd
    Community Member

Also, I submitted diagnostics and linked this post/my username.

• medadxb
    medadxb
    Community Member

Me too suffering too much due to this issue on my iphone 13 pro with ios 16 , too much annoying, thinking seriously to leave 1password, pls solve the issue at the earliest

• medadxb
    medadxb
    Community Member

I have sent the diagnostics report to you, please check

• medadxb
    medadxb
    Community Member

Same issue here. Just like you said, I reset my settings and now FaceID just won’t work to unlock 1Password, even after reinstalling the app.

• Hi @rannyd,

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing issues unlocking 1Password with Face ID on your iPhone 14 Pro, and thanks for sending that diagnostics report through to us. Can you post the support ID you received from BitBot so I can get this looked into for you?

• medadxb
    medadxb
    Community Member

I switched back to 1password 7 and faceid is okay now

• medadxb
    medadxb
    Community Member

I switched back to 1password 7 and faceid is working smooth

• snowlapa
    snowlapa
    Community Member

Hello,

Since upgrading to iOS 16, I can no longer use Face ID on my iPhone 13 Pro. It tries to login with Face ID but then it says I have to login first for Face ID to work. I’ve done this several times and it has not made a difference.

Thank you,

• Hi @snowlapa:

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing issues unlocking 1Password with Face ID. So that we can understand more about what's happening here, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your iOS device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much :)

• rannyd
    rannyd
    Community Member

Hmm…would that have been a reply from the email? Unfortunately I didn’t get a response, nothing in spam either :(

• Hi @rannyd,

That's no issue, I've seen your email has come through on our end. We'll continue the conversation over email so that I can take a closer look at this issue you're experiencing :)

• zacharye
    zacharye
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

I’m having the exact same issue after resetting settings to clear some bugs. You ca see Face ID work in the dynamic island (good lord that name is awful) confirmation, but 1Password fails to unlock and I have to enter my master password.

I’ve submitted diagnostics as well.

EDIT: I’ve also tried the same remedies as OP with no luck.

• JZamburek
    JZamburek
    Community Member

This is exact the same issue I have with TouchID. See my post https://1password.community/discussion/133744/touchid-stopped-working-since-ios16
    Maybe there ist a connection?

• zacharye
    zacharye
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

TEMPORARY FIX

You can get around this bug while they (hopefully) work to fix it by reinstalling 1Password 7 and using that instead. It's no longer searchable in the App Store, but reinstalling it is simple:

Open the App Store
    Tap on your avatar (top-right)
    Tap Purchased
    Tap My Purchases (if you use family sharing)
    Search "1pass" and you'll be able to reinstall it from there

Then, just log in, configure your settings (enable Face ID, etc) and change auto-fill in iPhone settings from "1Password 8" to "1Password." You'll now be able to use 1Pass on your phone without having to reenter your master password every time.

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member

You can also Google 1Password 7 and you’ll find a link to the App Store listing for it. I did and saved it just in case. I’d post it here, someone else already did I believe, but I don’t know if they’d remove it. The link takes you right to 1Password 7 on the App Store even though it’s not searchable on the store. Some have mentioned not being able to find it in their purchases list so the link could be used instead.

The fact that people are still looking for 7 keeps me convinced to keep using 7. I haven’t read of anything that 8 gives you that I don’t have in 7.

• JZamburek
    JZamburek
    Community Member

Thank you very much @zacharye !!!
    Don’t know why I hadn’t the idea to downgrade.

This discussion has been closed.