To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Two-factor support for umich.edu

Options
ben4
ben4
Community Member
edited September 2022 in Memberships

I'd like to request two-factor support for umich.edu. It's listed on https://2fa.directory, but 1Password fails to recognize the QR code (Duo-based) listed.

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: 2.3.7
OS Version: macOS 11.6.8
Browser:_ Brave
Referrer: forum-search:umich

Comments

• Hi @ben4:

Thanks for reaching out. Currently it's only possible to store standard TOTP one-time passwords in 1Password. Other specific authentication providers like Duo, Microsoft Authenticator that require a specific app aren't supported.

With that said, there's an existing feature request for being able to refer to an external authentication provider from within 1Password. While I can't promise anything, I'll add your thoughts to the existing issue.

Jack

ref: IDEA-I-1767

• ben4
    ben4
    Community Member
    Options

OK, thanks for the quick response. My work's 2fa appeared to only be compatible with Microsoft Authenticator, and I was pleasantly surprised when it integrated OK with 1Password. So I thought other cases might also work the same way, but I'll take your word that whatever format umich.edu is using isn't supported at the moment.

• @ben4

Microsoft Authenticator supports both a proprietary two-factor authentication format as well as the more universal TOTP format. It sounds like your work account is using TOTP-based two-factor authentication which can indeed be stored in 1Password.

That being said, thank you again for the suggestion. I hope that we're able to support more formats like DUO in the future! 🙂

This discussion has been closed.