New computer, my secret key must be reentered every time I log in. Why?

Options
W1122prob
W1122prob
Community Member

I now have windows 11. I can log into 1password, but each time must reenter the secret key. Plus no 1password icon shows up on my desktop anymore. I did notice that under "personal" that there is a note of "not syncing". Can't find the version of password, but I just joined a month ago.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: windows 11
Browser:_ edge
Referrer: forum-search:new computer secret key not consistent

Comments

• Hello @W1122prob,

Thanks for reaching out and sorry to hear that you are running in to an issue requiring you re-enter your Secret Key.

To confirm, is this happening while trying to sign in to your account through 1Password.com (or .ca/.eu)? If this is the case, are you perhaps checking the box that this is a public or shared computer? If it's a personal device not shared with others, trying signing in again leaving that box unchecked and let us know if that helped.

With regard to the 1Password desktop icon, can you confirm that 1Password 8 for Windows the desktop app is currently installed? If it is, you can open it by pressing the Windows key on your keyboard and selecting the 1Password from near the top of the list. Once opened, right-click the 1Password icon that appears in the taskbar and you can Pin to taskbar.

Regarding the "not syncing" message you are noticing this does sounds like you are experiencing this within the desktop app itself and we'd like to help by looking further in to this. Can you send a 1Password diagnostics report via email to support+windows@1Password.com so we can help to investigate? Please do not post these details in the forums.

If you could also include a link to this thread and your forum handle, this will help us to "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox. Thank you!

• W1122prob
    W1122prob
    Community Member
    Options

I'm definitely not marking it as a public computer.

Clicking on the windows icon - no choice for 1password appears (icon or otherwise). Do I need to download the app again onto this new computer? I was hesitant to do this in case it opened a new account and got everything confused, but perhaps I need to do that for it to run? Let me know!

• Hello again @W1122prob,

I'm definitely not marking it as a public computer.

Are you clearing your cache, cookies, etc. after closing your browser?

Clicking on the windows icon - no choice for 1password appears (icon or otherwise).

It sounds like 1Password 8 for Windows has yet to be installed. Installing the app will provide you the option to sign in to your existing account. A link to download 1Password 8 and the initial steps can be found here: Get the 1Password apps

Please let us know if you run into further troubles along the way!

• W1122prob
    W1122prob
    Community Member
    Options

Over the weekend I downloaded the 1password app onto my new computer. I now have an icon on my desktop, again no problem signing in, but the program doesn't offer to auto-fill or even ask if I want to do that. What am I missing in the setup?

• Hi @W1122prob – you'll need to make sure you have the appropriate extension for your web browser. You can get the right one from here:

Get started with 1Password in your browser

When you've installed the 1Password browser extension, you'll be able to autofill into websites.

• W1122prob
    W1122prob
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for all your help in September! My account is now working correctly.

• W1122prob
    W1122prob
    Community Member
    Options

Is 2 factor authorization available for desktop computers? All I can find are directions for setting up (yet another) app on my phone.

• @W1122prob

If you'd like to set up two-factor authentication for your 1Password account, you can do so by following these steps: Turn on two-factor authentication for your 1Password account.

To use 1Password to generate one-time passwords for other websites or apps, you can add two-factor authentication to your 1Password items: Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication

Both of these can be done from 1Password on your computer.

⚠️ If you're setting up two-factor authentication for your 1Password account, you should use another authenticator app to generate the one-time passwords for your 1Password account:

Although 1Password can be used to store one-time passwords for other services where you use two-factor authentication, it’s important to use a different authenticator app to store the authentication codes for your 1Password account. Storing them in 1Password would be like putting the key to a safe inside the safe itself.

Please let me know if you have any questions, or would like any further help setting up either of those. :)

This discussion has been closed.