How do I set up 1Password so that it asks for the MFA code for the app I'm trying to access?

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member

How do I configure 1Password so that it goes out to the authenticator of interest and grabs a code so that I don't have to play the juggling act and do it manually? I use a mix of MSFT Authenticator, Google Authenticator, Authy, Duo, and Symantec VIP (I'd use just one if it were up to me... it's not).

1Password Version: 8.9.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How do I set up 1Password so that it asks for the MFA code for the app I'm trying to access?

Comments

• Hi @Peter_Wang:

Just to confirm, you've got two-factor authentication codes stored in various other authenticators? This isn't something 1Password does, but I can see how it would be handy, so I'll share your thoughts as a feature request. While I can't promise anything, we use feedback like yours to help inform the future of 1Password.

Jack

ref: IDEA-I-1767

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

Jack, I think I was possibly missing the big picture... Can 1Password simply replace my other authenticator? Authentication built-in?

• @Peter_Wang

1Password can generate time-based one-time passwords (TOTP), which are an industry standard. You'll find other apps like Google Authenticator and Authy are able to generate the same type. I'm not familiar with Symantec VIP, so I can't comment on that, but I do know that Duo is a custom implementation of two-factor authentication and won't work with any other apps, so anything that requires a Duo MFA will need to stay as it is.

You can find out more about how to add one-time passwords to your 1Password items here: Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication. Let me know if you have any questions about it and we'll be able to help you out.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

@GreyM1P so it's clear how that would work if I'm using my Android device and trying to login to an Android app that needs MFA. But what if I'm sitting at a desktop / laptop browser, and the site I'm logging into demands an MFA code? How does 1Password work across platforms then?

Does the 1Password app on my phone have a way to generate a code that I then type into the browser? Or does the 1Password extension and/or Windows / Linux application serve up an MFA code, which means I no longer have to have my phone with me to authenticate so long as I can get to 1Password?

• @Peter_Wang

If you've saved a 2FA one-time password in 1Password then the 1Password app on your Windows or Linux device will indeed show you the one-time password without you having to open 1Password on your Android phone.

When logging into a website 1Password in the browser will fill the one-time password for you the same way that it fills your username and password: Save and fill passwords in your browser

I hope that helps. 😊

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Great I will test it one one site and confirm that it does what I expect

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

So then can 1Password then serve as the MFA app for itself ?

• @Peter_Wang

In theory, yes, but please don't! 😅 We strongly recommend having another TOTP app to generate one-time passwords for your 1Password account. There's specific guidance in this article, Turn on two-factor authentication for your 1Password account, which says:

Although 1Password can be used to store one-time passwords for other services where you use two-factor authentication, it’s important to use a different authenticator app to store the authentication codes for your 1Password account. Storing them in 1Password would be like putting the key to a safe inside the safe itself.

If you also use a hardware authentication token like a YubiKey, Google Titan Key, or anything similar, you can use that as well. You must have at least one TOTP app added to your 1Password account's two-factor authentication before you can add tokens. There are instructions on how to do this on that page linked above. Hope that helps.

This discussion has been closed.