Customization of 1Password 8 on iOS

Options
thedean
thedean
Community Member

I applaud you for providing a much more customizable version 8 of 1PSW on iOS. It goes a long way towards allowing each user to make 1PSW uniquely his/her own.

Version 8 on iOS gets us 90% of the way, but with just a few steps more you could take us to 100%. It is wonderful to be able to customize the Home page and the Items page... but it would be even more wonderful to allow each user to select their own landing page when they open the app. For example, maybe someone does not want the app to always open to the Home page.... maybe they would prefer that it opens to the Items page (perhaps with the All Items expanded)... or maybe they would prefer that it opens to the Search page... or the Watchtower page. You get the idea.

As I said, version 8 gets us most of the way there... but taking the last step could make it so much better. Making the landing page customizable would probably only require a 5 minute code change by your developers... but it would go a long way to making 1PSW much more user friendly and a much more usable tool for customers.

Thanks,
Dean

1Password Version: v8.9.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 15.6.1
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• Hi @thedean:

Thanks for sharing! While I can't promise anything, I'll add your thoughts to an internal discussion we have on this.

Jack

ref: IDEA-I-1441

• lnemekhbayar
    lnemekhbayar
    Community Member
    Options

100% agree with thedean on this one. My most used functions are Search and Categories, both of which I cannot add to the homepage. It always takes 1 extra tap to get there.

• JEK
    JEK
    Community Member
    Options

Ditto. Home page customization does not offer what I need. Just open ALL ITEMS or my PERSONAL VAULT. Instead, I have to click three times to get there.

• Hey all. 1Password 8 will always open to the last screen you used. The only time it'll default to the Home tab is if it was forced to crash by swiping it away from the app switcher. There's no need to do that to any app unless it stops responding. It also won't save any battery, since the app will have to use more energy recovering from the forced crash than it would have done waking up from its suspended state. Only the app in the foreground is actually running – everything else in the app switcher is pretty much a screenshot of what it was doing last, and those apps are all suspended. The only exceptions to these are:

• apps which are given you spoken turn-by-turn directions
    • playing media
    • finishing a job that was started before you switched apps or went Home. There's a maximum timeout of 10 minutes on this enforced by iOS.

When you're finished with 1Password, you can either switch to a different app or go to the Home screen. You would only ever need to swipe it away from the app switcher if it got stuck and stopped responding normally.

Hope that helps clarify things.

— Grey

• thedean
    thedean
    Community Member
    Options

Grey:

I am sorry, but I am confused even more by your response. To help clarify things, I have created a short video to demonstrate my experience which is very different. You can view the video here: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AjxJRtcb59lUgTGwgDCgHZO6EbiZ?e=xeGwip

Here are the steps I took in the video:

1. I tap the 1Password icon and it opens to the 1Password home page.
    2. I switch to the search screen.
    3. I then use the app switcher to put 1Password in the background, and open up the Notes app and view my shopping list.
    4. I use the app switcher to switcher to switch from the Notes app back to 1Password. 1Password opens to the search page. So far, so good. That's exactly where I want 1Password to open.
    5. Now I use the app switcher to switch from 1Password back to the Notes app, and then back to 1Password once again.
    6. This time, 1Password opens to the home page, not the search page. This is not my desired result.

My preference is have 1Password always open up to the search page, because that is the feature I use most often. How can I do this under the current release? If not, can you please make available a user selectible option to choose the landing page to view whenever 1Password is opened?

Thanks,
    Dean

• @thedean

I've just repeated your steps and found that yes, it seems like 1Password went back to Home, rather than Search, which was unexpected. Having looked into it and asked the development team, it turns out they're aware of this behaviour, and it's already in hand to fix it. In fact, some internal testing builds already have the fix incorporated, so hopefully it won't be too long until this reaches the stable version in the App Store, although I don't have a timescale to provide for this.

Our TestFlight program is currently full, having the maximum number of testers permitted by Apple, but if a space frees up, you'll be able to join it from here, if you want to get early access to it:

Join the 1Password 8 - Password Manager beta - TestFlight - Apple

We do purge inactive users who don't update for a while, so keep an eye out. Otherwise, you'll be able to see mention of it in the release notes for the stable version of 1Password for iOS, either in the App Store when you update, or here: 1Password Releases.

1Password is supposed to stay where it was when you switch back, so when this bug is fixed, that's exactly what should be happening. Let me know if you have any questions. :)

• thedean
    thedean
    Community Member
    Options

Grey: Thank you for your fulsome explanation. The fix will really help to make 1Password behave in a more expected and reliable way.

I would be happy to participate in the TestFlight program in the future if a spot becomes available.

• @thedean – we'd love to hear your feedback about the TestFlight betas if you have the time. In the meantime, if you need anything, we'll be here to help out.

This discussion has been closed.