Should display UUID somewhere in the UI

jennings
jennings
Community Member

I use the 1Password CLI and use replacement references like op://Personal/UUID_HERE/password to replace secrets with entries from 1Password.

I duplicated a secret and wanted to edit the duplicate, but I could not tell which one was the duplicate and which one was the copy, because both show the same "created" date. The only way I could tell the difference was to "Copy UUID" and paste it into a text editor to see which was which.

Because I'm using UUIDs in the reference URL, it's important I edit the copy. I have two feature requests to support this:

1. When duplicating a secret, the duplicate's "created" date should be the current time.
  2. Display the UUID somewhere in the UI. I suggest putting it below "updated" and "created", even if it requires turning on an option under "Developer" or "Advanced".

Another option: I'm only using UUIDs in the reference because some of my secrets have non-alphanumeric characters and the CLI didn't seem to recognize them. I tried urlencoding but it didn't seem to work. Maybe I did something wrong or maybe urlencoding support has been added since I tried it, but if not, that would help so I wouldn't need to use UUIDs anymore.

1Password Version: 8.9.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @jennings

You can turn on debugging tools in 1Password's Settings on the Advanced tab. Then you can right-click the item and choose "Copy UUID" to be able to paste it elsewhere.

With regard the duplicate items, these are bitwise duplicates, except for their UUID, so everything else will remain the same. In your case, you may want to take note of an item's UUID before duplicating it so you know which is which.

If you need any more help with this, or have any other questions, let me know. :)

— Grey

• jennings
    jennings
    Community Member

I don’t feel you have understood my request, @GreyM1P.

I know that you can use “Copy UUID”, as that’s what I said I was doing in my original post. But that is cumbersome when you just need to see the UUID for an entry.

1Password should display the UUID when debugging mode is turned on.

I also understand that duplicates begin as a bitwise copy of the original entry. I think it would make more sense to update the “created” date for duplicates because the duplicate entry was newly created. But, I recognize this is a difference of opinion. Simply displaying the UUID would make it unnecessary to update the “created” date to tell the entries apart.

• @jennings

Apologies for my confusion. I've submitted that as a suggestion to our product team for their consideration. Additionally, because the duplicate you've created is an exact duplicate (except for the UUID, as we know), I'd be interested to learn more about why you need to differentiate between the two. All the history of the item, including any previous changes, is copied over to the duplicate. Let me know and I'll be able to pass that feedback on to the product team along with your suggestion.

ref: IDEA-I-1922

• jennings
    jennings
    Community Member

I use the 1Password CLI and use replacement references like op://Personal/UUID_HERE/password to replace secrets with entries from 1Password.

It is important that I know whether I’m editing the original or the duplicate because these references will all break if unintentionally edit the original.

I’m using a UUID in the reference instead of the entry name because the name contains characters that the CLI doesn’t seem to recognize when searching for URLs to replace.

• @jennings

That's useful to know, thank you! I'll include that with the request.

This discussion has been closed.