Prompt to save/update a login _after_ logging in.

Options

I know this has been raised multiple times over the last 4+ years but given that it has not been addressed I wanted to raise it again.

Most password managers will offer to save a login after you've successfully logged into a site. 1Password currently requires that you save it before you've validated it. A previous discussion suggested installing the legacy extension which did include this functionality, but now that we're on 1Password 8 that no longer seems viable.

I want to re-raise a long standing request to add this to the current extension's capabilities.

1Password Version: 8.9.6
Extension Version: 2.4.4
OS Version: macOS 12.6
Browser:_ Firefox/Chrome

Comments

• sunlib
    sunlib
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for this feature request. This would be a very useful feature.

• jaseinvt
    jaseinvt
    Community Member
    Options

I've been using a paid 1password account for the past 6 months or so, and always assumed the fact that 1password didn't offer to save my logins after login was just some setting I hadn't bothered to figure out yet. Now today I'm realizing it simply doesn't do this. I'm happy with 1password overall, but this might be the thing that causes me to move to something else.

There are a whole number of use cases where offering to save after the login is so much better (or at least very useful as additional option):
    1. You're entering an old password from memory, and you're not sure if you remember it. Clicking "save password" or "update password" before every click is just not a useful workflow.
    2. Same as above, your browser or another password manager has auto-filled the password for you, and you only want to save it in 1password if it winds up working.
    3. You just forget that you ought to be saving whatever login as you create it. That "save this password?" prompt every other password system gives you after login is just a good reminder that you ought to save it.
    4. It's how everything else works, so most of us aren't conditioned to think about saving before login. I keep on logging in to something, and then realizing I meant to save that password only once the normal popup doesn't come up, and I realize it's too late.
    5. The typical "save this password" prompt after login is just easier and faster, period.

I know they've said before that trying to save a password after login doesn't always work out for a variety of reasons -- but it seems to work well enough to be the default way things work in other password managers. If 1password wants to leave the existing system so that anyone who really wants to can click "save" before submission and avoid whatever risk that the password can't be saved after... fine. But it sure would be nice if it worked like everything else does.

• jaseinvt
    jaseinvt
    Community Member
    Options

And as an additional example -- it wound up taking me like 4 tries to get my login saved correctly when creating a 1password community account to post the above, because the "re-type password" thing was tripping me up. Offering to save afterward avoids that.

This discussion has been closed.