How do I merge records?

Options
alessing
alessing
Community Member
edited September 2022 in Windows

How do I merge records so I do not have duplicates? Sometimes they are logins from 2 different URLS, sometimes they are an app and then the website? Please help?

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Merging

Comments

• Hi @alessing

Although you can't merge items in 1Password, it sounds like you'd be able to copy and paste the website address from one item into the other and delete the old one. If you need to add a second website field, you can do so by clicking "+ add another website" while in Edit mode. Let me know if you need any further help. :)

— Grey

• joshka
    joshka
    Community Member
    Options

+1 on feature request for this. Current approach for de-dupe:
    1. Click Watchtower
    2. Click first dupe
    3. View all duplicate items
    4. Copy / Paste each field of non website parts between from secondary item(s) to primary items
    5. Copy the website field
    6. Paste the website field, but click on the secondary item before it disappears from the watchtower duplicates list
    7. Click archive or delete on the secondary item

It would be nice to collapse this to:
    1. Select items in watchtower list
    2. Click these are the same site

Why so many dupes in the first place? There's no good UX for when a site with a different url is the same site as some existin site, which implies a new url rather than a new login.

• Hi @joshka,

Thank you for your feedback and feature request. We understand that duplicate items can be difficult to deal with and I've included a +1 for you in our current feature request. We're tracking this for the product team while they discuss a better way to handle the de-dupe process.

ref: IDEA-I-615

• EriConda
    EriConda
    Community Member
    Options

My entire vault is duplicated, HELP. Too many to manually fix

• Hello @EriConda,

Thanks for your message and sorry for the delay. There's currently no way automatically merge or remove duplicate items in 1Password. Manually removing the duplicate items through 1Password 8 is the best option. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this causes.

Duplicates can be best recognized when searching and using (Ctrl + Enter) to show all matching items or sorting by title. These duplicate items can then be removed manually by selecting the item (or Ctrl + Click for multiple items) and then right clicking one of the selected items > Delete (or archive). See this guide for more details: Archive and delete items

We'd like to learn more so we can understand what caused these duplicates in the the first place. For example, was this related to a migration data or import of from another password manager?

In the meantime, I've added you to our existing feature request for future consideration by the Product team.

ref: IDEA-I-615

• EriConda
    EriConda
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the update
    With all respect, this looks like a great opportunity for programmers to provide this feature. I'm new and all my gazillion pswds are duplicated. I chip away at ~ 50 per day.

• Hi @EriConda! On behalf of my colleague Mike, you're very welcome, and thanks for letting us know that a de-duplication tool would be very useful for you. If you have any further questions or issues, don't hesitate to get back in touch.

This discussion has been closed.