safari extension doesn't respond for 1password 8

jerryplotnick
jerryplotnick
Community Member
edited September 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

I recently installed 1password 8 and have added the Safari extension. On restart of the computer and opening 1Password, the icon in Safari for 1Password remains locked and unresponsive. This seems to be an old problem. I am a longstanding paid subscriber. Why haven't these problems be solved? What do I do to get 1Password working as it should?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:safari extension doesn't respond for 1password 8

Comments

• nmdias
    nmdias
    Community Member
    edited August 2022

For me it doesn't work sometimes also. May be a different issue, but when I click the 1Password icon in Safari, and then click "Open 1Password", nothing happens. After a cold boot for macOS it works again, for some time.

• Hi @jerryplotnick / @nmdias:

Just to confirm, with 1Password open and unlocked, clicking the 1Password icon in Safari's toolbar doesn't prompt 1Password for Safari to unlock? Let me know.

Jack

• jerryplotnick
    jerryplotnick
    Community Member

Yes, was like that for a whole day. Has seemed to work fine since the next time I started the computer. I'm hoping, though, that this doesn't become an intermittent issue.

• JellyFish
    JellyFish
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

Im having the same issue with the safari extension as well the chrome extension. I have 1Password 8 opened and the extensions are locked. If I lock 1Password app and try using the extension, I am prompted to unlock the 1pass app, but as I do this only the app unlocks and the extensions remain locked.

• Hi @JellyFish:

Thanks for letting us know. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac as well as a console log from Chrome:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Save a console log for 1Password in your browser

Attach the diagnostics and console log to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

@jerryplotnick:

Glad to hear it's working again. If it does happen again, let us know, and we'll take a closer look!

Jack

• jerryplotnick
    jerryplotnick
    Community Member

Similar problem as before. 1Password is open. In Safari, I click on the 1Password icon, which shows a lock, I get prompted for a password, and no response. Too buggy a program for a longstanding monthly prescription.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @jerryplotnick, sorry that you are still seeing problems with 1Password in Safari. Could you reproduce the behavior and then send over the following so we can take a closer look at what may be going on:

Attach the logs and diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• aleearndt
    aleearndt
    Community Member

I hope this is the right thread. I have 1Password 8 on my Mac along with the 1Password for Safari extension downloaded from the App Store. It works fine when I first install the extension but on restart, the extension icon is not in the Safari toolbar and the extension does not appear in the extension portion of Safari's preferences. It basically means that I cannot use the extension with 1Password 8. I have downgraded to 1Password 7 and it works fine. Please help!

• jasonatmacaid
    jasonatmacaid
    Community Member

same issue as aleearndt is happening to me too as of today. Makes 1Password basically useless if I can't use it in the browser.

• Hey @aleearndt, @jasonatmacaid,

Can you try these steps to see if it improves things:

1. Make sure you are running the latest version of 1Password 8 for Mac.
    2. Open 1Password 8 for Mac.
    3. Click the Help menu and choose Troubleshooting, followed by Fix Missing Safari Extension.
      This will rebuild the launch services database and allow you to enable 1Password under Safari > Preferences > Extensions.

As a side note I would also suggest uninstalling 1Password 7 to avoid any intereference.

I hope this helps!

• jasonatmacaid
    jasonatmacaid
    Community Member

Thanks Steph, That worked.

• Mlpontikes
    Mlpontikes
    Community Member

UGH -- I'm ready to f'ing delete this whole app! I've been using 1PW for years and years --- long before it became a subscription and I've never had the issues I'm having w/version 8. Like the other Safari users, 9 out of 10 times the extension doesn't work right...ALWAYS needing to "allow access" even though I've already allowed access (and no - not just for the day). It almost never autofills the username nor password...not from the website or from within 1PW when I click "autofill". I've sent a report once, heard crickets, so no - I won't do it again. I still have version 7 on my other computer and it works FLAWLESSLY. Why can't this can't addressed? It's been week and at this point, I want a refund

• Hey @Mlpontikes,

I'm sorry for the trouble you are having, can you try the steps below to see if it improves things:

1. Open Safari
    2. In the top left hand corner next to the Apple choose Safari > Preferences > Extensions
    3. Click on 1Password for Safari and then choose 'Always allow on every website...'

In addition, I would recommend you uninstall 1Password 7 as having both installed could be causing interference.

I hope this helps!

This discussion has been closed.