Why is Touch ID not opening 1Pass any longer in Safari on my iPad?

jazzman
jazzman
Community Member
edited September 2022 in iOS

I have not upgraded to version 8 yet but, for some reason, I can no longer open 1Pass on my iPad with Touch ID. Now I have to enter the password whenever I log in. The same is true on my iPhone 11 Pro. Maybe I’m wrong on that one, but I thought I was using Face ID on the phone. They both work fine when I use the 1 Pass apps but not in the Safari extension. Can you help?

The OS on my iPad is 15.7. On my iPhone it’s 16.0.

1Password Version: 7.9.9
Extension Version: 7.9.9
OS Version: iOS 15.7
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

@xyzulu:

It appears to me this issue has been going on for some time without a fix. In your opinion, is it worth upgrading to 1Pass 8 before they fix this? The reviews I’ve read are not very good. Just give me your opinion.
    By the way, if you use 1Pass through your browser, do you sign out of 1Pass whenever you’re not using it or do you remain signed in? I’m just thinking about security.

• xyzulu
    xyzulu
    Community Member

I'm happy with 1Password 8 .. BUT this issue that is not being addressed as fast or as transparent as it should means that I would recommend you install v8, but also keep v7 so can can go back if this issue happens to you.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

How do you KEEP 7 while you have 8?

• xyzulu
    xyzulu
    Community Member

Just leave the old v7 app installed.. they are slightly different look.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

Thanks.

• Hello @jazzman! 👋

It sounds like you're able to use Touch ID to unlock the main 1Password app on both your iPad and iPhone is that correct? If I understood correctly then you're not affected by the issue that is mentioned in that other thread that was linked since that issue deals specifically with unlocking the main app itself.

With the latest iOS 16 update, 1Password has temporarily turned off Touch ID and Face ID in Safari due to changes in the user flow and experience. Biometric sign-in across all other devices and browsers other than Safari will remain the same. 1Password understands the importance of biometrics, namely the security and convenience it offers our customers. This change affects both 1Password 7 and 1Password 8 for iOS as well as earlier versions of iOS such as iOS 15.7.

We would like to bring back this feature one day and are working closely with our partners at Apple to figure out how to make that happen. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

-Dave

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

Hello @Dave_1P

Yes, I am able to use Touch ID on my iPad and Face ID on my iPhone to unlock the main 1Password app.

And yes, the inability to use these features is an inconvenience. I’m not sure what you mean that 1Pass has turned them off due to “changes in user flow and experience”.

I’m a long term user of 1Password, and I’ve been totally happy with it. Yet I must admit I have been reluctant to make the change to 1Pass 8 because of all the negative reviews. I’m sure I will change one day but it will most certainly be after the biometrics problem is solved.

• We'll be here when you're ready jazzman. Have a great weekend. I hope we can put this Face ID issue behind us very soon.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

Thanks ag_tommy. I hope the same. I still don’t know what is meant by “changes in user flow and experience”.

This discussion has been closed.