TouchID stopped working since iOS16 [Fixed. Please see the approved answer for details.]

JZamburek
JZamburek
Community Member
edited February 2023 in iOS

View 1Password's Approved Answer

Since I updated to iO16, TouchID is no longer recognized by apps. The TouchID dialog appears, but then terminates as if the finger is not recognized. 1Password then falls back to the login code. Other apps, such as one for signing PDFs, report "Authentication not successful". When I disable TouchID in 1Password Settings, the switch remains grayed out and cannot be enabled. I reinstalled 1Password, now it tries to use TouchID again and falls back to the LogIn code at the first finger touch.
It seems that apps in general have problems accessing the security engine, otherwise TouchID works for all other areas like unlock, wallet cards, etc..

1Password Version: 8.9.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 16.0 (20A362)
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• albertvanderiet
    albertvanderiet
    Community Member
    edited August 2022

Hi,
    I cannot get 1PW8 on my iPad Air 4 to work with Touch ID. Touch ID works fine unlocking my iPad and other apps, just not 1PW8. Worked fine with 1PW7. And works fine on my Samsung S22 Ultra.

No matter what I try, it keeps saying on every login: “You need to enter your account password before you can use Touch ID”.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

1Password Version: 8.9.0
    OS Version: IOS 15.6

• Jack.P_1P
    edited August 2022

Hi @albertvanderiet:

That definitely isn't the experience we want you to have with 1Password for iOS. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your iOS device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

ref: dev/core/core#15937

• albertvanderiet
    albertvanderiet
    Community Member

Thanks Jack, the support ID number is [#GKB-94677-238].

• obbay1953
    obbay1953
    Community Member

I have the same issue though it began after I did a reset on my iPad. It worked fine before the reset.

• albertvanderiet
    albertvanderiet
    Community Member

Not solved with the aug 31 update.

• Silmarils
    Silmarils
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

I can't use touch id to unlock 1 password which I used to work normally before. But after I updated iOS 16 and reset all settings the device . I can't use touch id to unlock 1 password anymore and when I delete the 1 password app and reinstall it and set up a new touch id it still doesn't work. Ask for help via 1password.

..sorry i use google translate

1Password Version: 1Password 8.9.5
    OS Version: iOS16

• Hi @JZamburek – that doesn't sound right at all. I'd like to see what's going on with 1Password, so I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your iOS device:

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

— Grey

• JZamburek
    JZamburek
    Community Member

Hi @GreyM1P
    my support ID is: [#BYX-67453-741]

• @JZamburek Thank you! We'll get back to you as soon as we can. :)

• JZamburek
    JZamburek
    Community Member

@GreyM1P I now have uninstalled and reinstalled all affected apps, which all reinitialised the Touch ID authentication after reinstall. It worked for all apps except 1Password, where the problem persists.

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

This is a well-known bug (except perhaps on this forum), one that is taking the folks at 1P weeks to fix. All I've heard is that it is "rare." Not so rare judging from the posts here.

• Hello @Silmarils! 👋

I'm sorry to hear that Touch ID isn't working with 1Password on your iOS device. Can you tell me if you see an error or any sort of other message when you try to use Touch ID? Is this happening when autofilling through Safari or another app, or is this happening when you try to unlock the main 1Password app?

Can you try these steps:

1. Restart your iPhone or iPad.
    2. Open and unlock the main 1Password app using your account password.
    3. Switch to another app.
    4. Switch back to 1Password.

Are you now able to unlock 1Password using Touch ID? I look forward to hearing from you. 🙂

• Andy_MacBride
    Andy_MacBride
    Community Member

Also having the same behavior (and it's making me NUTS — but at least I know I'm not alone).

M2 MacBook Air
    1Password for Mac 8.9.6 (80906030)
    MacOS 13.0 Beta (22A5352e)

• @Andy_MacBride If you're having trouble with Touch ID on a Mac, as opposed to an iOS device, this is handled differently, so try the steps shown here first, if you haven't already:

Use Touch ID to unlock 1Password on your Mac — Get help

If you've tried those steps and haven't had success, use the "contact 1Password Support" link at the bottom of the page and we'll be able to help you individually by email.

• xyzulu
    xyzulu
    Community Member

@GreyM1P can we have an update on the original posters issue please?

• f123456789
    f123456789
    Community Member

TouchID Trouble
    Hello,
    Can anybody help?

I am having trouble using touch ID.
    I got the same message: "You need to enter your account password before
    you can use Touch ID."
    I tried to delete the app,
    I tried this "https://support.1password.com/touch-id-mac/#get-help"
    etc.
    What a waste of time! :-(
    Thank you 1password,

1password 8.9.5
    iPhone, IOS 16.0.2

• @f123456789

It sounds like it would be best to gather some more information and help you directly, so please email us at support+mac@1password.com to have one of the team take a look and help you further.

@xyzulu

I can't comment on another customer's case for privacy reasons, but I can say that we have made significant progress in solving the issue with Face ID and Touch ID in 1Password 8 for iOS and we hope to have good news about this soon.

• xyzulu
    xyzulu
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

@GreyM1P 2 months after you knew about this issue.. that is all you share? And in a reply to a thread.
    No announcement here in the community about this issue. No blog post. No support article. No message in the app store.
    Many staff still clueless there there is even an issue. You can't see why we are feeling frustrated?

"we have made significant progress in solving the issue with Face ID and Touch ID in 1Password 8 for iOS and we hope to have good news about this soon."

You wrote:
    "I can't comment on another customer's case for privacy reasons.."
    Thanks for the patronising reply. I never asked for private information. I asked why you had not provided an update. Stop trying to divert attention.

• @xyzulu

Face ID and Touch ID in 1Password 8 on iOS are currently a very high priority for our development and customer support teams. The development team have found the cause of the problem and the relevant secure parts of iOS that 1Password communicates with. They are working on building a solution for the root cause of the problem and although it may not seem like it from the outside, there has been considerable discussion about this issue within the teams. I assure you, we do know about it, and the impact that it's having on customers. We're hoping to have something concrete to announce in that regard soon.

Up until now, there hasn't been anything suitably actionable we could suggest to help, so we have been gathering information about affected customers and letting them know that we're aware of the issue and are working on it. We do know that erasing the device, which also erases its Secure Enclave, then allows 1Password 8 to work with Face ID and Touch ID properly again, even if restored from backup, since the Secure Enclave isn't backed up. However, that's a very drastic step, and involves erasing the entire device – something we wouldn't actively recommend to customers. It is hardly a proportionate workaround, and has the potential for serious data loss, so we haven't offered it publicly to customers. However, it's helped the development team gain valuable insight into what's causing the problem.

When you asked for "an update on the original poster's issue", I was under the impression that you were asking about the issue experienced by the original poster specifically, rather than the issue more broadly. Apologies for the confusion there.

Any customers who have reported experiencing this issue to us will be updated directly when the fix is available. Those who haven't can check the 1Password Releases blog, and can look out for mention of the issue there.

We'd like to thank everyone for bearing with us while we get this fixed. Because the problem involves talking to the Secure Enclave – the security chip in iPhones and iPads – it's not a straightforward process to diagnose and troubleshoot, since we're not able to dig around in the same way that we can in our own code. Fortunately, we now have the answers we need, and are now past the investigation stage and are moving into the resolution stage. Please stay tuned for further updates when we have them. You'll either hear from us directly, or via the release notes in the App Store when 1Password updates, or you can check the 1Password Releases blog to see what's new.

• xyzulu
    xyzulu
    Community Member

Thanks @GreyM1P .. THIS is the information that was needed.. a while ago.. but.. a bit late than never I guess.

• alangoldsa
    alangoldsa
    Community Member

I am having a similar problem on my iPad (on iPadOS 15.7). I thought it was only with the Safari extension, but I tested the steps above, having set the security settings to Auto Lock on Exit to Immediately.

When I switch back to 1Password (step 4), it prompts me to use Touch ID, but then gives a little shake and says I need to enter my account password before I can use Touch ID.

This started because Touch ID does not come up as an option in my browser, even though the extension is installed and enabled. I have to enter my master password if it hasn't been used recently. I haven't timed the delay, but it's not long. It used to work, and works fine with FaceID on my iPhone.

Any help would be appreciated

• ditrseels
    ditrseels
    Community Member

How long is this going to take to fix? Seems like it’s foot dragging with an elaborate “we’re working on it” excuse. Please identify when a fix is coming so I know whether to look at other options.

• BKKPeter
    BKKPeter
    Community Member

The latest version was advertised with the great Touch ID feature. This will allow for longer and more secure passwords. Great! I can unlock my phone and every app I protected with Touch ID. The only app that is always asking me to first enter the password before I can use Touch ID is 1Password!
    I don't think I keep this on my phone (SE 2020, latest IOS - 16.02) for long.

• Hello @BKKPeter! 👋

I'm sorry to hear that Touch ID is not working with 1Password on your iPhone. Our developers are working on a fix for an issue that sounds like the one that you've described. So that I can confirm that you're affected by this issue (and not an unrelated issue), I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your iOS device:

The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

ref: dev/core/core#15937

This discussion has been closed.