I'm having difficulty finding how to generate a password on both my Mac laptop and iPhone.

Options
tonymaws
tonymaws
Community Member

I'm having difficulty finding how to generate a password on both my Mac laptop and iPhone. Additionally, 1Password does not always pop up to generate new passwords on new sites the way it used to.

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.9.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Monterey 12.5.1
Browser:_ Chrome
Referrer: forum-search:can't generate a password

Comments

• Hi there @tonymaws

There are a couple of ways you can do this – either in the browser, or in 1Password itself.

In the browser, click 1Password in the browser's toolbar, then choose the three-line menu, then "🔑 Password Generator", as shown here:

In 1Password, click the "+ New Item" then "Password", like this:

Give those things a try and let me know how you get on. I'll be here if you need further help. :)

— Grey

• tonymaws
    tonymaws
    Community Member
    Options

Grey,
    Thank you for your reply.
    Neither of those two options appear to work for me. In option 1, I don't have the three line menu. Instead I have a ? icon.
    Option 2 takes me to a blank item with no option to generate a password.
    Not sure what changed (or when exactly) , but this didn't used to be an issue.
    any advice and/or direction appreciated!
    Tony

• GreyM1P
    edited September 2022
    Options

@tonymaws

If you're seeing the ? icon next to New Item, you're more likely in 1Password itself than 1Password in the browser. All the browser extensions show a three-line menu next to their New Item button, which you'll see when you click the 1Password icon in the toolbar of your browser. There's a bit more about this process here: Get started with 1Password in your browser — Create a custom password

If you are in the main 1Password app, then clicking "+ New Item" then "Password" will, as you say, show a blank item. Clicking the Password field will then reveal the password generator, like this:

The password generator will appear and you can change any settings for the recipe. Click Use when you want to keep the password currently shown. Give the item a name, then Save the new item.

I look forward to hearing how you get on, and I'll be here if you need anything.

This discussion has been closed.