Virus Protection Saying Update Has a Virus

DavidinLA
DavidinLA
Community Member

I keep getting a message from Bitdefender that the 1Password update has Gen:Variant.Tedy.163778 and stops the installation. Why do you think this is happening and how should I correct it? Thanks for your help.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• DavidinLA
    DavidinLA
    Community Member

I hope someone who works for 1Password can answer this. I can't use or install an app that says it has a virus attached. And there seems to be no direct customer support that I can find anymore. Anyone? crickets.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@DavidinLA

Anti-virus products use a combination of heuristics and simple patterns to match key parts of certain types of files that can carry malware. Sometimes these false-positively match newly released files. Eventually these get reported to the A/V vendor, and they eliminate the false-positive in an update in their A/V definitions.

You can upload any concerning file to a site such as VirusTotal, which will run dozens of A/V products against the file(s) and report their findings. If you find just one report an issue, you can almost always assume it's a false positive. Of course it could be the case that a file contains some new malware that only one A/V product is detecting, but since they share their findings very quickly, this would be rare.

Here's a link to their site, but you can do your own search to find it:

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/home/upload

I assume you can download the version you're concerned about from the 1Password site. Once you have it, upload it to VirusTotal.

• Hi @DavidinLA:

You can always get in touch with us directly via email at support@1password.com.

Does Bitdefender indicate a specific file is the problem, or just 1Password for Windows in general during the update process? Let me know.

Jack

• DavidinLA
    DavidinLA
    Community Member

The file C:\Users\david\AppData\Local\1Password\update\8\resources\app.asar.unpacked\index.node is infected with Gen:Variant.Tedy.163778. The threat has been successfully blocked, your device is safe.

• Hello @DavidinLA,

Thanks for getting back to us with this report. We'd like to investigate further and I've passed these details along to the team.

ref: dev/core/core#17625

• Ekalb
    Ekalb
    Community Member

Hello,
    Here is the VirusTotal report for 1PasswordSetup-8.9.5.exe:
    https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/9151f43042b2751ef7e502d1b4108451b8b0cde9b69022ae136e35737b543d86
    No malicious detection on 67 analyses, including Bitdefender.

• ag_mike_d
    edited September 2022

Thanks, @Ekalb. I've passed this along to the team.

This discussion has been closed.