IP8 "Default Vault for Saving"

Lacrocious
Lacrocious
Community Member

In IP7, it was hard to find the "Default Vault for Saving", but in IP8, I am totally lost as to where to find it. I tried searching the support web site and 10 items were found. Zero of the 10 items actually had the text "default vault for saving"! There is list of vaults under settings and no place in Settings that I can find to set the "default vault for saving".

How do I change IP8 to save new items to a specific shared value, rather than my private vault?
Thank you,
- L

1Password Version: 8.9.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IPADOS 15.6
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @Lacrocious,

Thanks for your message. 1Password 8 saves items by default to the vault you currently have selected. If you'd like to change the vault the item is being saved to, you can do so by tapping the Account/Vault option at the top of the item creation screen.

The ability to select a default vault for saving is feature request that we're currently tracking and I've cast a vote on your behalf. 👍

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. We'll be here to help!

ref: IDEA-I-658

• Lacrocious
    Lacrocious
    Community Member

Hi @ag_mike_d,
    So if I have a collection selected that has 3 vaults in it, which of the 3 vaults is the "current vault"? How does it choose which to use? In the case that I had the issue, the collection has "Private", "Shared Vault 1", "Shared Vault 2".

In our family use-case, we basically have 3 shared vaults (we have a few more for odd-ball cases, but they are not normally part of 1P7 All Vaults nor in the primary 1P8 collection): His Vault; Her Vault; and Our Vault. We want all logins to be in one of those 3 places. My new logins should go to His Vault; My wife's to Her Vault; and none should go to Our Vault by default. We are a fully shared family and know that both of us can see each others vaults if w so choose, but we choose not to to keep our list of logins (and credit card) to just our specific ones. If we need to use the others login for a specific reason (wife using my computer for instance), she can easily select the Her Vault and go. We also use the Our Vault for things like Netflix Password, etc. - those things that we expect both to use day-to-day.

It sounds like if my wife uses my computer and shows her vault, my new passwords will now be placed in Her Vault until such time that I switch the active vault or recognize it is going to the wrong vault and correct it individually for every login created.

I don't want to have to remember to check which vault I create a login in every time I create a login. I would like a default. I am the tech guy in the family. My wife really doesn't want and realistically - she won't check which vault a login is created in. She wants it simple.

So please, cast a few more votes for us to bring back the ability to set a default vault.
    Thank you,
    - L

• dannyic
    dannyic
    Community Member
    edited August 2022

Seconding a feature request for setting a default vault at the global level. This was a very reassuring feature in 1Password 7 and it's quite critical to ensure my personal passwords are not accidentally committed to my shared, corporate-owned vault (which, for some unknown reason, switched positions with my personal vault from how things were in 1P7, such that it is now the global default, albeit an non-modifiable global default).

I could say the lack of this feature is merely annoying for my personal use, but it's a show-stopper for the corporate account I help manage; we won't be able to upgrade our users until this is resolved. Thankfully, I caught this beforehand by playing guinea pig, but I would've missed it if my vaults hadn't loaded "backward" in 1P8 from how they were in 1P7.

On another note:
    It would be helpful to know the reasoning behind this removal of a simple, useful feature such as this between major releases. Was it a rushed release, so devs couldn't implement some features? Or did this not get included in the set of a base features needing implementation in 1P8 prior to an initial release?

I ask because - as the admin of a 250 person 1Password org - we're paying for a set of secure and reliable features, first and foremost. I would argue that this is a security concern in addition to a simple usability concern given that users can unknowingly commit passwords to a shared vault (causing over-sharing) or vice versa (effectively breaking compliance/governance on a shared password that ought to have been placed in a shared vault but is accidentally placed in a personal vault).

I see that other organizations apparently have communicated this issue as well around early May, so knowing a timeline would also be helpful.

(If this is out-of-scope for the question at hand, I can open another thread in a more appropriate area re: dev/design processes)

To end on a high note: the new design is lovely!

• Dr_Owssap1
    Dr_Owssap1
    Community Member

Please add my vote as well. I can’t understand why this feature would be removed. Very frustrating.

• UncleJohn4
    UncleJohn4
    Community Member

Seconded with prejudice!

• chale
    chale
    Community Member

Agree. I used to be able to save a default vault to save a new item. It does not appear that is the case anymore. Needs to add back

• ag_tommy
    edited September 2022

I've got your feedback recorded for the team. Thanks folks.

ref: IDEA-I-292

• joemus
    joemus
    Community Member

Adding a vote for this feature. When you’re on the Search tab (which is where I usually like to be), it always seems to default to save new passwords to Private vault. We really need to be able to specify the default save-to vault because you can’t choose which specific vault you’re viewing in the Search tab.

• Shipscat
    Shipscat
    Community Member

Please add my vote, how do I role back to version 7 as this is causing chaos with passwords being saved to the wrong shared folder.

• hegguardo
    hegguardo
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

Also voting for this feature. As password manager (1Password in particular!) champion within my family and friends, this feature is vital for me to support other less tech savvy users. Please re-implement ASAP! This loss of basic functionality will inhibit uptake of the otherwise very good version 8.

• PHEY
    PHEY
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

Ludicrous that we have to “vote” for what is a no-brainer…
    If this is not fixed by the time my subscription renews I will not be renewing.

Anyways, here’s my vote also.

• Aober
    Aober
    Community Member

I just upgraded my family to 1PW 8. Regretting this decision based on this. Is there a way to revert?

• hegguardo
    hegguardo
    Community Member

@Aober, version 7 of the app should be available in your list of previously downloaded apps in the App Store (Account -> Purchased) or from here https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/1password-password-manager/id568903335

Then delete version 8 until (if?!) 1P get this fixed.

• Aober
    Aober
    Community Member

Thank you for the guidance. I am pretty sure my wife and I caused this problem when we updated her machine to 1PW 8 "real quickly before work." I have been a 1PW user for years and recommend it widely (even in lastpass environments) but this feature change will make my family password situation incredibly challenging.

• peet1
    peet1
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

This one is absolutely NUTS. Just NUTS. I have access to >100 vaults. I just realized this basic functionality was removed from 1Password. I've had to manually check every single record that's been updated since the release of 1P8. Please for the love of all that is holy please add back the basic functionality that made 1P the best.

Moreover @AgileBits, What is exact behavior that 1Password uses to select a vault to save in? I cannot for the life of me consistently reproduce were 1Password saves new records. It seems to be completely at random and 100% not consistent across devices. It's pretty infuriating.

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member

this is bad - so many times, a login doesn't work because it was saved to my Personal vault, which seems to be default vault when you create a new login from the home screen (iOS or macOS); in macOS, I can at least set the default vault which for some strange reason has to be done via the Safari extension prefs not the app prefs; however, this setting is being ignored as I still end up with new items in my Personal vault

please implement the ability to set a default vault for all devices and ensure this feature works!

• inckblog
    inckblog
    Community Member

How is this function not in anymore?! Definitely an upvote from me to have it added in again.

• mipaulsen
    mipaulsen
    Community Member

Please enable the ability to default saved passwords to shared vault outside of browser extension. this is a a no brainer feature since it is already allowed in the browser extensions but needs to be extended to the mac and windows apps as well as the ios and android apps.

• lcastell
    lcastell
    Community Member

Please re-enable the ability to set a default vault on a per person basis. Thank you.

• Thanks folks I've passed on your comments to the team.

ref: IDEA-I-292

• tumbaa
    tumbaa
    Community Member

not that this seems to matter, but here is my vote as well.

please also consider this a vote for not removing or changing functionality in new versions without clearly notifying users. this is not the first time y'all have done this, but I really do hope it's the last. this isn't a beta release. this is the release you are actively telling your users to install yet you clearly haven't finished implementing all the existing features, or you have actively decided to change the behavior your existing users are expecting. either way, you don't seem to have any documentation about this so no wonder you have multiple threads of angry users.

I don't need a beautiful new design if the functionality is going to be consistently inconsistent.

Now off to revert back to 1P7 😒

• thedean
    thedean
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

Please add my vote to the chorus. Also, it would really be great if 1PSW kept of log of the most popular feature requests voted on by the community, and their status (under consideration, accepted for a future release, rejected, etc.). I am not asking that you commit to a timeframe, but people would at least like to know that their voices are being heard. You must be collecting this data now. It would be nice if you shared this data with your loyal customers.

• mamiller130
    mamiller130
    Community Member

Another vote to add Default Vault functionality!

• ginmn
    ginmn
    Community Member

this is a critical feature needed

• Dave_1P
    edited October 2022

Thank you for the feedback. I've added everyone's votes to our internal tracker and forwarded your comments to the product team. 🙂

-Dave

ref: IDEA-I-2091

• tumbaa
    tumbaa
    Community Member

@Dave_1P any chance we'll ever get an update as to whether this is going to get fixed or not (and when)? seems that months of people requesting this is getting nowhere but what I imagine is a thumbs up on a backlogged ticket that won't ever see the light of day

• @tumbaa

In general, we tend to play things pretty close to the chest when it comes to new features and changes since even the most solid release date or commitment can slip due to unforeseen circumstances and we want to avoid disappointing people. So unfortunately, I don't have the answer that you're hoping for but I can say that this is something that is being avidly discussed and looked into by the team.

Thanks again for the feedback. 🙂

-Dave

• thedean
    thedean
    Community Member

@Dave_1P

Please take a 2nd look at my post dated Oct 3. I certainly understand your reluctance to provide any release dates, as things can change, and you do not want to disappoint your customer base.

On the other hand, you are keeping an internal tracking list of feature requests, and you do have an obligation to your customers who take the time to make suggestions to make your product better, to give them some insight into what features you are seriously considering, and which ones, for whatever reason, you are not entertaining at this time.

Taking your internal tracking list, and publishing the top 50 most requested features and their current status (planned for a future release, under consideration, not possible at this time, etc.) is a best practice for development organizations (Proton Mail for one publishes the histogram with vote counts of all feature requests and their status on their support page). It would also be a great PR move for 1Passsword. I hope in the future you can be more transparent about your plans with your customers who are only trying to help.

Dean

• @thedean

I'm sorry for not being clear in my earlier response: we do have an existing internal tracking item to investigate the creation of a public feature request system and I added your vote and comments to that tracking item after you mentioned the idea in your previous post. Thank you again for the suggestion. 🙂

@AMonitorDarkly

I hear the feedback and hopefully this is something that we can improve in the future. I'll bring this up with the team.

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.