Password generator in 1Password 8 Quick Access

Comments

• SimmonsMD
    SimmonsMD
    Community Member

Wow! Thank you very much for sharing the screenshot guide, pointing out the location of the Password Generator. I didn't know that's where it was hiding!

While I believe it should be prominently located on both the main app and browser extensions (i.e. on the main display page when you click either of those), this will certainly do the trick for me. Now that I know.

Thank you again! That's a big help and time saver!

• TilRoquette
    TilRoquette
    Community Member

@SegeiCMeerkat thanks for your hints.

I was not aware of the menu next to the search field in the browser extension, wich offers a password generator

Unfortunately, there is no password generator in the Quick Access control which can be startet from MacOS's system menu

Also, I cannot find a password generator in 1password for iOS / iPadOS apps (except in the menu to create a new login/password). Especially, when you are registering a new login (user name and password) for an iOS app, which does not support / recognize password managers like 1password, you have to switch to the 1password app, create a new login there and then copy and paste newly created the user name and than, again, the newly created password.

Wouldn't it be much easier, if I quickly could generate a password for this app while 1password 'remembers' this password (new login entry or save in clipboard). Then I register with the new user name and the newly created password. Then I switch to 1password and create / finalize the new login entry.

Am I missing something there, too?

• @TilRoquette

You can create a Login just before you're about to use it for the first time (either at sign-up in an app or if it wasn't in 1Password before). Here's what to do:

1. Tap the "🔑 Passwords" icon near the top of the keyboard or at the bottom of the screen to bring up the autofill pop-up, even though you know you don't have a suitable item there just yet.
    2. Tap the + button, then enter a username.
    3. Tap the password field and enter your password. To generate a password, tap "Create a New Password" and adjust the settings, then tap Use.
    4. Tap Save & Fill when you’re finished.

The item will be saved and then immediately autofilled into the app you're using. As a rule of thumb, you can always tap the "🔑 Passwords" button on the keyboard whether or not you know if you have a suitable item already saved in 1Password. If you don't have one, you can make it from there without leaving the app in question.

Hope that helps!

• TilRoquette
    TilRoquette
    Community Member

This works in the browser and some apps, but not in Apps requiring a log-in, but not recognizing password manager / autofill.

• andrew.l_1P
    edited September 2022

Glad to hear it, @SegeiCMeerkat and @SimmonsMD! Thanks for sharing your updates, if you have any questions in the future, you know where to find us. 😊

• JRDN
    JRDN
    Community Member

I couldn't believe this feature was removed.. it was a game changer for creating passwords on the fly! Especially if it was for a website that I needed to quickly sign-up for. It takes a lot longer to accomplish this now. Please definitely bring it back!

• @JRDN

Thank you for the feedback. Out of curiosity, if you're generating a password for a website then is there a reason why you're not letting 1Password in the browser suggest, and automatically save, a password right on the website itself?

Using 1Password in the browser's password suggestion would be much faster than using a password generator, copying and pasting the password into the website, and then also manually creating a new Login item for that website in 1Password to save the password for future use.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts. 🙂

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member

@Dave_1P - to answer your question:

if you're generating a password for a website then is there a reason why you're not letting 1Password in the browser suggest, and automatically save, a password right on the website itself?

I (previously) used 1Password to generate transient passwords that I would then send (by SMS or other means) to other folks, often to allow them access to downloads or one-time secrets that expire. There's no reason to save the password - it's used and disposed of, and therefore I don't want it to be saved in 1Password.

With 1P8 missing this feature, I've revered to my previous pattern of using diceware on the command line, or just mashing the keyboard "randomly".

In some mythical, idealized world, I could have 1Password generate the password with a shortcut key, fill it in on the form, and copy that (transient) password to the clipboard, all in one go.

• @esquared

Thank you for the detailed reply! Your use case and use of diceware sound very familiar, have we discussed this before? I couldn't find a previous conversation between us after a quick scan of my message history but I might have missed something. I did want to mention that SMS and many other mediums are not secure communication channels and I would recommend using 1Password's new secure share links to send the generated passwords to other people, even if they're not using 1Password themselves:

Secure share links allow you to send passwords and other items to another person while still having them be end-to-end encrypted. And by sending a secure share link, rather than the password itself over SMS or other method, that password won't stick around in that message app's history to be potentially leaked or stolen if that communications medium is compromised in the future.

That being said, I definitely understand how it would be useful to have a standalone password generator with your current workflow and I'll share your specific use case with our product team so that they're aware. 🙂

-Dave

• wvwalton
    wvwalton
    Community Member

+1. Used it all the time in 7. Needed in 8 please...

• JRDN
    JRDN
    Community Member

@Dave_1P

I have a system and pattern that I use in combination with 1Password's random algorithm. Plus, as @esquared pointed out, sometimes you just need a quick password to send to someone without having to save it in 1Password.

Hope that helps you see why the 1Password Mini interface was a tool beyond its time. It was awesome having a light-weight, easy to access and easy to use password manager that didn't take up a ton of retail space on my screen. Please definitely see if it can make a return!

• craig_francis
    craig_francis
    Community Member

+1 for me as well.

I often create one off passwords that aren't being used on a website (and often don't need to be stored)... in v7 I could do this fairly easily; and later, when I remembered, go into 1P and do a mass delete of them all (because it did the sensible thing of remembering them, just incase they were important)... yesterday, I had to create 50 passwords, and found the easiest (still slow) approach of creating was via a new "`Login", focusing on the password field and pressing "Create a New Password" (down arrow, not tab), press the "Use" button (because you cannot select the password value from here), then select and copy the password from that field, go to the relevant app to use it, return, and press the down arrow again (or click off the field, then focus it again) to get back to the "Create a New Password" button... and eventually, when all that is done, delete the Login item... interestingly, bit of a tangent, even with saving, I don't seem to be able to find a history of old passwords.

• forumusername
    forumusername
    Community Member

Please return the password generator feature in the main application.

• IsThisNameTaken
    IsThisNameTaken
    Community Member

+1

And one other request. When I generate a new password in 1P8, I can no longer modify it before saving it. I use memorable passwords and then replace some of the letters with their leetspeak equivalents. Now I have to save the password as suggested, modify it, then copy and paste it manually. Can you revive the 1P7 process?

• hanskuijpers
    hanskuijpers
    Community Member

Hi @Dave_1P,
    I also miss the password generator, not only in the Quick Access screen, but also in the pull down menus when using the right mouse click. I see the first message about this in May 2022.
    When do you expect this to be back in 1Password?
    Thank you!

• pinecone
    pinecone
    Community Member

+1 Can we at least get an update on IF this lost functionality will be returned? If I'm following this correctly, all we have so far is a promise to make the case to the "Product Team".

• shemphill
    shemphill
    Community Member

Yes, please bring this back! It was one of the most useful features!

• Hi @Hightime - thanks for your feedback, I've added your vote to the feature request!

• bak1
    bak1
    Community Member

I would love this feature to be brought back too. @Dave_1P if you want a use case, I used to use it to generate passwords (i) outside of the browser (e.g. Terminal); (ii) on websites or other situations where the 'please provide a password' interface doesn't work nicely with 1Password (e.g. maybe you're typing with an onscreen keyboard rather than inputting text into a field); or (iii) where the password is subject to length, character etc requirements (I used to use the sliders in the password generator, but it is also especially useful where a 'special character' is required but there's a limited list of special characters -- far easier to generate a long password, modify a couple of special characters to be acceptable ones, submit it to the website and then have 1Password prompt me to save/update it). Maybe there is a slightly faster way to do what I need to do, but this works fine for me, so just give me the option. I'm not asking that everyone be forced to do it my way.

• Thank you! I've passed everyone's feedback and use cases along to the product team and added your votes to the feature request. 🙂

-Dave

• TilRoquette
    TilRoquette
    Community Member

Hey @SegeiCMeerkat

to your post from September 15th: Yes, with the feature „Password Generator“ of the browser plugin hidden in its „hamburger menue“ it is possible to generate a new password. Unfortunately, 1password does not save this with a new log in, so you have so save it in 1password manually. Strange …

• Hi @TilRoquette,

To save generated passwords, I recommend using the in line options that appear while registering for new accounts:

Clicking that suggestion (which itself can be edited in the password generator found in the hamburger menu) will open a window in which you can edit the item details before saving it.

Let me know how this goes or if you have any questions. 🙂

• TilRoquette
    TilRoquette
    Community Member

Hi @andrew.l_1P thanks for your tipp. However, what we are looking for a feature present in former versions: Creating a new password **within **the web form for registering as a new user:

Type in the user name
    Since there is no password to be found in 1password, one passwords suggests a new password right in the web form (no switch to the 1password app required).

• Hi @TilRoquette,

To clarify, the option in that screenshot is within the browser itself. Clicking the suggested password will open a window in which you can edit the item before saving it:

None of this necessitates opening the 1Password 8 app. Let me know if this is what you're describing!

• TilRoquette
    TilRoquette
    Community Member

Hi @andrew.l_1P This is true in Webseites - not in Apps

• Thanks for clarifying, @TilRoquette. I can certainly understand the utility in having a password generator within Quick Access and will add your notes here to the feature request mentioned earlier in this thread. 🙂

This discussion has been closed.