Face ID Not Working [Fixed. Please see the approved answer for details.]

Comments

• yuleihit
    yuleihit
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

I am on iPadOS 15.7 latest. Same thing. AFTER I reset all setting, faceid stop working. It showed faceid animation and then showed that did not work. Exactly the same behavior as described in previous comments.

• Dfects
    Dfects
    Community Member

Same here too... new iPhone 14, so all setup fresh and constantly seeing the flash of face id to be told "that didn't work, type your incredibly annoyingly long secure password in for the 902384984 time" or words to that effect. I've tried logging out, turning setting on and off, removing rebooting and reinstalling and still it persists. Its infuriating.

• xyzulu
    xyzulu
    Community Member

@Dave_1P and @ag_tommy this issue is months old.. reported here: https://1password.community/discussion/132575/face-id-not-working#latest

(also reported by many users).

Why are so many 1Password staff not yet aware of this? I've contacted support via email a few times as well.. and the initial response is always "surprise" at this issue.. not acknowledgement.

• Dave_1P
    edited September 2022

@xyzulu

Our developers are indeed investigating an issue with Face ID / Touch ID. A diagnostics report allows us to verify that the user is affected by the known issue rather than by a different issue that would need to be investigated further which is why support may have asked you for a diagnostics report before confirming that you're affected.

Our developers are aware that this issue is affecting a number of users and they're treating this as a priority. I'm sorry for the inconvenience that the issue is causing. If you're interested, my colleague Jack has a posted a workaround however it should only be attempted by technically savvy users who are comfortable with factory resetting their iPhone and restoring from an iCloud backup (since data loss is possible): https://1password.community/discussion/comment/657234/#Comment_657234

-Dave

• iamaydo
    iamaydo
    Community Member

Erasing then restoring device fixes it. I restored my iPhone from a backup last night.

• OscarBA
    OscarBA
    Community Member

I’m having the same exact issue and it’s so freaking annoying to type my password when using safari/apps every single time!
    The issue appears when I have reset all my iPhone settings.
    Just like this one below
    I'm another one having the same issue. Reset All Settings on my iPhone running ios16. Before that 1Password 8 was working fine with Face ID. Now, like with others, it acts like it is working and gives the tick but then it makes me put in the password. Deleting and reinstalling the app doesn't fix.

• Eluder99
    Eluder99
    Community Member

Same issue here. Had to reset all settings on my iPhone 14 Pro on iOS 16.0.2 and now Face ID fails to log me in. It scans, shows it was successful, but 1Password says that didn’t work. It worked before the reset, but now doesn’t. Tried reinstalling the app and that was a no go.

• kyswisher
    kyswisher
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

Any progress on the iPhone Face ID issue? (whereby you cannot open 1Password using Face ID)

• work242
    work242
    Community Member

I had the same problem. Touch ID works on Big Sur, Face ID works on the iPad with iOS15, iPhone 11 Pro with iOS16 did not work.

• rlamber3
    rlamber3
    Community Member

Same problem since getting my iPhone 14 pro last week. help!

• MASTERNC
    MASTERNC
    Community Member

I'm having the same problem as well. I just sent a diagnostic file. Face ID works fine for all my other apps.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

The following is directly from the download section of 1Password: "Due to the latest operating system update, BIOMETRICS HAVE BEEN TEMPORARILY DISABLED IN SAFARI". I just stumbled across this when I was looking at the 1Pass 8 reviews and the What's New section, and it was just posted one week ago. I hope this problem is solved sooner rather than later. I happen to like using biometrics to log in to 1Pass. They still work on my iPad and iPhone apps just not in Safari.

• kyswisher
    kyswisher
    Community Member

That’s interesting, though, even when I try to open 1Password directly, independent of Safari, biometrics on my iPhone won’t work.

• ag_tommy
    edited September 2022

@MASTERNC

I'll be replying to your email soon. Thanks for sending in that report.

ref: HVZ-58133-928

• xyzulu
    xyzulu
    Community Member

This is a known issue.. for some reason 1Password staff are not all aware of it. Either that, or there is a lack of transparency around this issue.
    There is a workaround here: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/657234/#Comment_657234 but it's not very user friendly at all.. and a little bit of a risk (to your phone data).

• xyzulu
    xyzulu
    Community Member

Many 1Password staff appear to be just avoiding this issue..
    In any case, the only "progress" I've seen from 1Password support on this issue is this post: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/657234/#Comment_657234 (though not an acceptable solution by any means)

• xyzulu
    xyzulu
    Community Member

Dave, please can you update us on the status of this issue. It's been months since it was first reported to you guys.

• Is this acknowledged as an issue anywhere in public? (apart from these forums)
    • What is the issue?
    • Does 1Password have all the diagnostic information needed to resolve it?
    • When is an actual fix coming?

(private emails with 1Password support are even more vague on this issue than your post)

• dgold105
    dgold105
    Community Member

Same here. Doesn't work in the app or Safari. Any update on when a fix is coming? The app is terrible to use without it.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

I’m still using 1Pass 7. Maybe that’s why biometrics are working to open the app but not in Safari. I’m not going to upgrade until it’s fixed.

• @zacharye

I'm happy to help. 🙂

• reubenj
    reubenj
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

Having the same issue, that is when I log into my 1Password8 app using biometric ID it seemingly authenticates and then 1Password8 gives me the message ‘You need to enter your account password before you can use Face ID.’. Started right after I reset my iPhone settings under “Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Reset > Reset All Settings”. Restarting my phone, resetting Face ID and reinstalling the app do not seem to fix it.

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member

I’m reading similar comments in a lot of these posts, that people have reset their phone settings, which I’ve never done and would only do if there were some serious issue with the device. So I’m wondering if Face ID is an issue with those who have not reset their settings. I have also seen in other threads that changing the duration to 1 week instead of 2 has seemed to resolve the issue, at least for a time. I’m wondering if that holds true.

We’re still using 1P7 at this point since there are no issues that I’m aware of and it offers everything that 8 does for our purposes. But I do like to use the latest versions of of critical apps that are regularly used so I may migrate us to 8 at some point. So I’m holding off for now but if the Face ID issue is caused by users resetting their phone settings then I don’t see that as an issue that would give me any concern. If it’s caused by selecting a duration - 2 weeks - then that is an issue that needs to be addressed before I would migrate to 8.

• kyswisher
    kyswisher
    Community Member

I experienced this issue without resetting my phone, just updating to 1Password 8. Support responded when I contacted them by letting me know they were aware of the issue and suggested downgrading to 1Password 7 as a temporary fix.

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member

Thanks then I guess my solution is to remain on 7, which I was inclined to do anyway.

• reubenj
    reubenj
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

The only options under the “Require password” drop-down within 1Password8 are never, every 2 weeks or every 30 days. Changing to any of these options unfortunately do not seem to fix the issue.

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member

Thanks, there is a thread, but it may specifically be about the Safari extension, that mentions changing the interval to one week. I guess that’s not possible with the main app.
    https://1password.community/discussion/comment/658354#Comment_658354

• haroldinho
    haroldinho
    Community Member

Same issue here. Since upgrading to the iPhone 14 pro max with ios 16.0.2, using 1password 8 with version 8.9.5. Each time I open the app, the iphone tries using Faceid and then the app says: "that didn't work", check your password and try again. Also when trying to send diagnostics, it doesn't work because I don't use the native apple email app.

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member

Ditto here. Had to reset my phone and now 1p 8.9.5 face ID not working. Using iOS 16.0.2

• kyswisher
    kyswisher
    Community Member

On my iPhone 12 Pro (iOS 16.0.2), I went into the App Store, searched under purchased, found 1Password 7 (from 2018) and re- uploaded. Opened, logged in and it’s working w/ Face ID. I’ll monitor progress on v. 8 from there.

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member

I’ve heard of this solution as well — thanks for confirming!

The silence of the folks at 1P about this is really inexplicable!

This discussion has been closed.