I can't pair a login with an app on iPhone

Options
matiasfernandez
matiasfernandez
Community Member

I have loaded a login for a website. That website has an app too, which I installed on my iPhone, but 1password doesn't understand that the app already has a login and I have to log in every time to search for it and get the password.
I have an iPhone 12 with 1password 8 updated.

1Password Version: 8.9.5
Extension Version: 2.3.8
OS Version: iOS 16.0
Browser:_ Safari
Referrer: forum-search:pair password and app ios

Comments

• Hello @matiasfernandez! 👋

On the iPhone AutoFill is specifically handled by iOS through an Apple technology named iOS Password AutoFill and 1Password only provides the data for the experience. Password AutoFill will match the apps that you use to your login items in 1Password by taking the associated domain associated with an app and comparing it against the website URL in your login items. If there is a match then Password AutoFill will offer to fill your login information.

If your login item is not being suggested for a particular app then you'll need to add the app's associated domain to your login item in 1Password. When you tap on the username or password field in an app you'll see the Password AutoFill prompt appear (above your keyboard), tap on the prompt and you'll see the 1Password app open. On this screen you'll see one of the following messages:

1. "Suggestions for [website.com]"
    2. "Suggested items"

If you see the first message then the website URL listed is the associated domain for the app and you'll need to add that website to the existing login item for your login in 1Password:

1. Open and unlock the main 1Password app.
    2. Find the login item that you would like to associate with the app and tap Edit.
    3. Scroll down and tap on **add another website*.
    4. Add the app's associated domain.
    5. Tap Save.

If you see the second message then it means that the developer of that app hasn't added an associated domain and there is nothing for Password AutoFill to use to match the app to a Login item in 1Password which means that you'll need to search for the correct Login item. You can also contact the developer of an app to have them add a specific URL as an associated domain for their app so that you don't need to manually add another URL to your login items. Here is Apple's developer page regarding associated domains: Supporting Associated Domains | Apple Developer Documentation

I hope that helps! 🙂

• matiasfernandez
    matiasfernandez
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Dave for your reply, I guess I'll need to contact the app support.

• I'm glad Dave could be of assistance. Have a great morning!

This discussion has been closed.