It's Sep 2022 ... can we delete a personal vault from a family account yet?

Options
jimandbeth
jimandbeth
Community Member

Howdy! Very longtime 1Password for Families user. We really really don't want personal vaults for any of us.

We've already set our default add vaults to vaults in our 1P4F account. Once in a while that setting gets lost (maybe during app upgrades? We don't know). Suddenly someones passwords are local and private, and when they need help we have to figure that out, move stuff, and re-set the default vault.

What are the odds there's a way to do it now, or that there ever will be?

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: 2.3.7
OS Version: macOS 12.5.1
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• Hello @jimandbeth! πŸ‘‹

At the moment, it's not possible to delete a user's Personal/Private vault since it's the default vault that comes with all accounts and is the only vault that cannot be shared with another family member. That being said, I can see how it would be useful to disable the Personal/Private vault in situations like yours and I've added your request to our internal tracker so that our developers can consider it for a future version of 1Password. Thank you for the suggestion!

We've already set our default add vaults to vaults in our 1P4F account. Once in a while that setting gets lost (maybe during app upgrades? We don't know).

That doesn't sound right. Is the setting reverting by itself in the 1Password app or in 1Password in the browser? If it's the latter then which browser are you using?

I look forward to hearing from you. πŸ™‚

ref: IDEA-I-360

• jimandbeth
    jimandbeth
    Community Member
    edited September 2022
    Options

Hi, @Dave_1P. Thanks for filing the request; judging from the posts from years past, I expect this is filed in /dev/null and is working as the software designers intend. We won't hold our breath.

Regarding that disappearing setting, unfortunately, I can't give you a conclusive answer as we don't notice it until it's been reset sometime in the past; when we discover it, one of us stored a credential a day/week/month ago, tells the other, "It's in 1Password!" and gets the response, "No, it's not ..." At that point there's no memory of an app update, nor of where the new credential was added.

What's likely is it's either the MacOS app or the iOS app, as those are what we lean on most. Beyond that, πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ

If the personal vault can't be removed, could we hope for a "read only" toggle on it so that trying to save to the vault would immediately call our attention to it? Anything would be an improvement.

Either way, still love the product ... thanks for keeping it going and keeping us safe!

• @jimandbeth

Thank you for the reply. If you do manage to narrow down where and when (for example, in the browser after an update) the default vault is being changed then please let us know and we can investigate further. Any clues that you can provide in the future would help us dig deeper on this issue.

If the personal vault can't be removed, could we hope for a "read only" toggle on it so that trying to save to the vault would immediately call our attention to it? Anything would be an improvement.

That's an interesting idea and I've forwarded it to our product team so that they can look into it.

Either way, still love the product ... thanks for keeping it going and keeping us safe!

Thank you for the kind words and for being part of 1Password! 😊

ref: IDEA-I-1946

This discussion has been closed.