When will 1Password 8 for Mac be available on the Mac App Store?

Options
MichaelCorleone
MichaelCorleone
Community Member

Hi 1P,

I have always used 1P 7 from the Mac App Store. It was easy up update when updates were available. Currently 1P 8 is only available via website so no clear way of knowing when updates are available. When will 1P 8 for Mac be available on Mac App Store?

1Password Version: 1p8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: current

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @MichaelCorleone! 👋

1Password 8 for Mac isn't currently available in the Mac App Store. Instead, you can download the app directly through our website:

If your subscription is through Apple, you can still download the app directly from our website, and your subscription will carry over. There's no need to change your billing information. Our new built-in updater will keep you running the latest version of 1Password silently and automatically.

Please let me know if you run into any issues with installing 1Password 8 from our website and I'll be happy to help further. 😊

• wavesound
    wavesound
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P You didn't answer @MichaelCorleone 's question...

Will 1P8 be available on the App Store?

• Ben
    Options

@wavesound

We don't know for sure. We're not saying "no," but it also isn't something we are actively planning. We'll push out any updates on this subject to this mailing list: https://1password.com/mac-app-store-subscribe/

Ben

• MichaelCorleone
    MichaelCorleone
    Community Member
    Options

Riteo,

Dave could have just said that rather than the non answer given. Thanks wavesound for following up.

So what is the best way of keeping track of when there are updates for 1P8 now?

• Ben
    Options

Dave could have just said that rather than the non answer given. Thanks wavesound for following up.

Please don't pick on Dave. He's a nice guy, who gave the best answer he had. 🙂

So what is the best way of keeping track of when there are updates for 1P8 now?

The app automatically updates and will prompt you with a small banner at the bottom of the main window when the app needs to restart to finish the process.

Ben

• rodfleischer
    rodfleischer
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

Guys,
    The problem with this is that my wife, my kids, my parents, eg everyone other than myself in my family that uses it, won't update. When it's through the mac app store the updates are applied to their computers automatically, but if they have to click on a banner, forget it. I've seen my wife completely ignore the update/restart button on chrome for upwards of a week.
    So this "will prompt you with a small banner [...] to finish the process" solution isn't helpful. Completely automatic updates through the mac app store are.

Clearly the fact that you have a mailing list on this topic indicates there's user interest.

• Benno42
    Benno42
    Community Member
    Options

I've found with new version like this, you still need to login to the Mac App Store and download the new version. But once that is done, then all the updates are really easy. I do prefer using the Mac App Store when available.

• Terry Garthwait
    Terry Garthwait
    Community Member
    Options

Perhaps my security concerns are out of date, but I would rather download new and future versions from the apple App Store.

I have had 1password for a long time and remember having to buy multiple versions of the stand alone app both from 1password and the apple store due to either apple's requirements or to get it to work with iCloud etc.

I have the subscription service, it would be great with if we could update/upgrade the same way either through the apple App Store or the app itself.

• wavesound
    wavesound
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, the App Store is the way on Mac. They took away our native app...and now they want to take it out of the App Store??

Please bring it back to the App Store!

• demaffias
    demaffias
    Community Member
    Options

Please add this to the Mac app store, I seriously don't want to go back to installing all software manually.

• rotlex
    rotlex
    Community Member
    Options

Came here with the same question regarding 1Password 8 and the Mac Appstore. Would really like to see it there as I much prefer 1oneplace for purchase, download and updates. That is how I purchased and own 7. Not sure why you would not be using it for version 8.

• wavesound
    wavesound
    Community Member
    Options

Me too!

• DaveyDave
    DaveyDave
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

deleted

• MichaelCorleone
    MichaelCorleone
    Community Member
    Options

It seems strange that V7 was on the Mac app store but 8 is not. It would have been good to communicate this to users in some way to avoid people like me coming to the forums. I assume that there is a reason for this. Clearly there is interest in accessing the app this way so please pass this on to whoever needs to hear it at 1P.

• georgebh
    georgebh
    Community Member
    Options

Agree totally. Want it through the App Store.

• bonbon
    bonbon
    Community Member
    edited June 2022
    Options

lately there are many Password manager app. but I always stay loyal with 1Password no matter that the other app might be better than 1Password.

One thing I really love from 1 Password is The support in 1Password Community. You are always open to communicate everything with us. except now with the 1Password 8 for mac. Just say it to us that at the moment for a certain time there won't be app store version. BASTA! if you don't like it, go look for alternative or you might give a try with installer from your website. I think that would be every gentlemen do. Some Users may move to the other app, but you should be confident that your app is good. if they move, you feel sorry but there is nothing you can do.

what you told us instead: you don't say no and yes. maybe there will be but maybe not... what the hell happened with you guys?

• bonbon
    bonbon
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben & @Dave_1P : still no gentlemen's statement about 1P in App Store?
    since 1P is a normal company like other with business planning, are you serious that you don't have this answer? I don't believe it.

• MacAppStore
    MacAppStore
    Community Member
    Options

Months later and still no response. That is all the response I need.
    So I canceled my family subscription to move to an alternative that is cheaper and has a native Apple Silicon app.

• MacAppStore
    MacAppStore
    Community Member
    Options

And I completely expect they will delete my messages again also

• arievanboxel
    arievanboxel
    Community Member
    Options

What is the reason 1Password 8 is not allowed in the Mac App Store? There must be something Apple doesn't like. There is always the fear it has something to do with security.
    AgileBits if you want us to continue using 1Password, tell us why.

• Pez
    Pez
    Community Member
    Options

Will the Mac App Store version be retired or become incompatible?

I’m happy to install the website version on my machine, but I don’t intend to move 4 family members off the Mac App Store version. It’s just easier for me to manage and support their machines.

Thank you.

• winterfell
    winterfell
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

Can I use 1PW8 on my iPhone and 1PW7 on my Mac? I updated to 8 on my iPhone before I found out 8 is not available on the Mac App Store. Would prefer to use one source (Apple Stores) for keeping up to date, but if I can run 8 from their website on my Mac and 8 on my iPhone from the App Store, then all good.

• casastorta
    casastorta
    Community Member
    Options

What is the reason 1Password 8 is not allowed in the Mac App Store?

I came here just to bump up this question. As paying users, we should know what the heck is going on.

• appgan99
    appgan99
    Community Member
    Options

Agree. Need to have it on App Store or I will not upgrade

• casastorta
    casastorta
    Community Member
    Options

It's not even that I will not, although for sure - I will not. I simply can't, on work laptop at least. But I also find this whole ordeal suspicious, so I am not going to upgrade on my private machine either.

I am not going to ask our internal corporate security team to examine 1P8 for allow-list, if it's too fishy for App Store to host it. They are typically allowing non-App Store stuff to be installed only if it's crucial for business. And 1Password is not, for me to be able to use it on corp machine it needs to come from App Store.

• robbcorrell
    robbcorrell
    Community Member
    Options

Downloaded the app to my phone - as suggested in 1P 7 when I opened it today. Was surprised that the sign-in did not go smoothly, as in previous upgrades, which led me to this site, the conversation upon which makes me very wary to upgrade. Loss of trust due to lack of transparency could (and should) be disastrous for a company all about security. Will not upgrade for the moment. Will start looking at alternatives.

This discussion has been closed.