Considering other PW mgrs - would like a reply promptly

Options
katrina1p
katrina1p
Community Member

I've been a subscriber to 1P for years but have to say at this point I am strongly considering trying other PW mgrs.

1) The 'upgrade' to 1P8 is a major step backwards: We now have 1P taking up memory on MacBook. This slows down performance and makes it that when we 'clean up' the junk with an app like CleanMyMac, 1P closes completely and then reopens. It wastes time and is aggravating. That didn't happen before. I understand wanting to make your app 'family friendly' but you're hurting every other user in the process! Surely there is a way to make this a setting that can be turned on/off by parents, and let the rest of us not have the app drag down our computers.

2) The "Quick Access" is inadequate: Before we could tap and quickly have access to Favorites. This was a great feature! Especially for the fact that you often use the same email for multiple accounts. In my case, I run a very small nonprofit & we have multiple logins and accounts under the same name. Before, I had the most common ones saved to Favorites. Now though accessing them takes much longer. If I use the "Quick Access" I have to search for a login. And if I search by the user name, I end up with a list, not a direct answer. The Favorites access needs brought back badly.

3) Same for the Apple Watch: this was a step ahead. Now it seems to have gone backwards. We need it back.

As of now I have 1P8 installed but I'm still using 1P7. I'd like to know specifically what is being worked on for future updates on 1P8 and if we will see these issues addressed or not. I'm due to renew my membership in the next week and have been considering/evaluating other pw mgrs. Slowing down the app, making it that the app closes with keeping our Macs running efficiently, and taking away features... I need some convincing here guys.

1Password Version: 7.9.6, 8.9.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 12.6
Browser:_ Firefox, Safari, Chrome

Comments

• Hello @katrina1p! 👋

I'm sorry to hear that you're running into a few issues with 1Password 8 on your Mac. I'll respond to each of your points below:

We now have 1P taking up memory on MacBook. This slows down performance and makes it that when we 'clean up' the junk with an app like CleanMyMac, 1P closes completely and then reopens.

Can you tell me a little more about the performance issues that you're seeing? Where is 1Password slowing down performance on your Mac? When you're logging into your Mac? Or when you're using a specific app on your Mac?

In general, I don't recommend that you use an app cleaner on 1Password's files since that can cause issues. 1Password 8 doesn't have any "junk" that an app cleaner needs to clean and I suggest adding 1Password to your app cleaner's exclusion or ignore list. Can you tell me what specific files your app cleaner is identifying as "junk" and removing?

In my case, I run a very small nonprofit & we have multiple logins and accounts under the same name. Before, I had the most common ones saved to Favorites. Now though accessing them takes much longer. If I use the "Quick Access" I have to search for a login. And if I search by the user name, I end up with a list, not a direct answer. The Favorites access needs brought back badly.

Are you using these logins in a Mac app or when logging into a website in your browser? If it's with a website then would using 1Password in the browser's inline suggestions be a better option:

You can read more here: Fill logins and other items

If I misunderstood then please let me know.

3) Same for the Apple Watch: this was a step ahead. Now it seems to have gone backwards. We need it back.

Can you clarify a little further? 1Password 8 for Mac does indeed support Apple Watch unlock and it works the same way that it did in 1Password 7 for Mac: Use your Apple Watch to unlock 1Password on your Mac

I look forward to hearing from you. 🙂

• katrina1p
    katrina1p
    Community Member
    edited September 2022
    Options

Thank you for your reply @Dave_1P

I use Clean My Mac for keeping cache clean, checking for malware, etc. Since the update to 1P8 it now lists 1Password in the apps to close each time I run a scan as you can see from the screenshot I included previously. I get messages more often now about memory being almost full and needing to free up RAM. When looking at the details of what is being cleaned up - it's primarily cache & log files. I was just surprised to suddenly see 1P included when I have used 1P for years as well as CMM and this had never been here before, so it would only be logical then to believe that this was potentially adding to slow down in performance. Are you saying 1) that it isn't and 2) that it is fine to ignore these files when cleaning things up? Why is it that these files show up here now and is there potentially a setting that could be added to nullify this?

In regard to the logins, I use them in both apps and websites. Most commonly I have the same email address used throughout them, similar to what you showed.

[Image removed by 1Password staff.]

Having access to 'Favorites' made it easier to have quick access to the ones I use most often, particularly for logging into the foundation's hosting, website, and financial. 'Favorites' is really missed as something that was quick to access and often used.

Did I miss an update? or are you referring to one that is 'in progress'? because last I checked 1P8 still did not have Watch working with it. And I was hoping to see you build upon the capabilities of the Watch app (ex. having access to our logins even if not in reach of iPhone or Mac) rather than taking this feature away.

Thank you for your prompt reply and I look forward to hearing more about where things are headed as 1P8 continues to be developed. I have looked at Passwarden and Keeper in the meantime.

• @katrina1p

Thank you for the reply. I've removed the screenshot from your comment since it contained your email address. I wasn't sure if you wanted to share that on a public forum.

I'm afraid that I've personally never used CleanMyMac or any other app cleaner on any of my Macs so I wouldn't be able to answer your specific questions about that. I can confirm that 1Password 8 for Mac doesn't have any junk files that need to be cleaned or removed to increase performance of either 1Password itself or your Mac. For more help with the specific app cleaner that you're using I suggest reaching out to their support team since they'll be in the best position to tell you why their app is showing the message that it is.

Having access to 'Favorites' made it easier to have quick access to the ones I use most often, particularly for logging into the foundation's hosting, website, and financial. 'Favorites' is really missed as something that was quick to access and often used.

Quick Access should automatically suggest the correct login for the website or app that you're using. If it's not doing that then can you make sure that 1Password in the browser is installed: Get started with 1Password in your browser

If that still doesn't work then can you tell me the address of one of the websites where your login isn't being automatically suggested in Quick Access along with the browser that you're using? (Don't post any usernames or passwords, just the website address.)

Did I miss an update? or are you referring to one that is 'in progress'? because last I checked 1P8 still did not have Watch working with it. And I was hoping to see you build upon the capabilities of the Watch app (ex. having access to our logins even if not in reach of iPhone or Mac) rather than taking this feature away.

My apologies, I thought that you were referring to the ability to unlock the 1Password 8 for Mac app using your Apple Watch and not to the 1Password Apple Watch app. We’re actively working on an Apple Watch app and we’re very excited about it. We weren’t able to get it in the initial launch but it is coming soon. 🤗 Until then you can run 1Password 7 alongside v8 to use the Watch app in that version.

If you do choose to temporarily use 1Password 7 alongside 1Password 8 on your iPhone/iPad then make sure that Password AutoFill is only enabled for 1Password 8 so that you don't end up with any duplicates when saving logins in other apps:

1. On the Home screen, tap Settings.
    2. Tap Passwords > AutoFill Passwords.
    3. Turn on AutoFill Passwords.
    4. Select "1Password" and de-select "1Password 7".

Please let me know if you have any questions. 🙂

• katrina1p
    katrina1p
    Community Member
    Options

Very simply @Dave_1P "Quick Access" is FAR from quick with what I need. If you looked at the screenshot (which you deleted and didn't need to because its an email already overwhelmed with junk) then you would have seen that I have numerous accounts and logins associated with the term Enduring Epilepsy. It's the name of the foundation. And as I stated before, being able to have access to the ones I use most frequently in 'Favorites' was very helpful. This seems like we're having a decision made for us and being told we have to adapt to it, when I know from looking at reviews on App Store & the forums here that there have been many others who have said about missing access to Favorites as well.

Frankly, it seems that 1P didn't do its due diligence in preparing this update before releasing it. With features like the Apple Watch missing, finding things like the app now using memory on my Mac, and pretty much being told to just 'deal with it' in regard to "Quick Access" being inadequate for my needs, you can see why I'm considering other password managers.

Now, I asked where things were headed with 1P8 & still haven't been given a clear answer. Other software/sites I use for the foundation have roadmaps available as to what they are working on, their upcoming releases, etc. Is there anything like this from AgileBits? Can anyone tell me if we will have easy access to Favorites again? When can we expect the Apple Watch app back? I'm due to renew next week and as of right now... I'm hesitant to do so without thoroughly considering other password managers.

This discussion has been closed.