1Password auto-lock issues

This discussion was created from comments split from: 1Password 8: Please do better!.

Comments

• kfr3
    kfr3
    Community Member

The version I am using is 8.9.4. Mac OS 12.6. This is close to being terrible. Before 8, I could put my password in once on the desktop and have the browser extension run. Now I need to enter the password. If I close the browser, you need to do it again. On both the desktop and browser version, I have turned off the automatic locking, but it still locks. For me, this is totally unnecessary. I live alone and have no or very few visitors. I am using Firefox mostly but occasionally Safari.

When I look at the 1password preferences for the Firefox browser, I see the message "We weren't able to connect to the 1password extension . . ." Did not help. I did the diagnostic thing, but I could not reveal!

You've got problems with a capital P. Next time I won't update for three months!

• @kfr3

Which browser extension do you have installed. It sounds like you may have the desktop app extension. You'll need Get to know 1Password in your browser

Did you submit the report to us? The report will be located in your Downloads folder. Please email us using support+forum@1password.com. Be sure to use the email address tied to the account in question.

• kfr3
    kfr3
    Community Member

I installed the right extension, but the browser extension still locks up even though the desktop program in open and unlocked. When I look at add-ons, Both desktop app and browser are shown and on. Do I turn the desktop one off?

• kfr3
    kfr3
    Community Member

Hello! Anyone home?

• Hey @kfr3,

Apologies for the delay.

If you paste about:addons into your browser toolbar followed by the Enter key can you make sure '1Password - Password Manager' is enabled and if you see '1Password (desktop app required)' disable this.

Next, follow the below steps to see if we can re establish a connection between 1Password in your browser and your desktop app:

1. Right click the little 1Password icon on the top menu bar of your Mac (where the clock is) and select "Quit".
    2. Quit Firefox by right clicking its icon in the Dock and selecting "Quit".
    3. Open and unlock 1Password.
    4. Open Firefox and test if it is also unlocked.

Let us know if this improves things.

• kfr3
    kfr3
    Community Member

It did not work until I deleted all the 1password items in the extensions window. I was able to install and start the 1password browser extension. It is working now. The key, I think, was to delete the 1password extension so that 'fresh one' could be installed.

• Thank you for getting back to us @kfr3.

I'm sorry for the trouble, let us know if there is anything else we can help with.

• mikebol
    mikebol
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

I'm running the latest browser extension (2.6) and the extension is repeatedly locking in the browser for me. I've been using 1Password for over a year now and have it setup to stay unlocked when the desktop app is unlocked. The browser extension continually locks between browser sessions, does not unlock as the windows app is already unlocked.

Is this a known issue, @steph.giles ?

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @mikebol, sorry about the issues you're seeing with 1Password in the browser. It sounds like the extension is having a hard time connecting with the 1Password app. Could you try the following to reset that connection and see if it helps?

Turn on 'Keep 1Password in the menu bar' in the 1Password app settings
    1. Open the 1Password app.
    2. Click 1Password in the top left corner and select Settings.
    3. Under the General section ensure "Keep 1Password in the menu bar" is checked.

Reset the connection between the app and extension
    1. Right-click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose Settings.
    2. Under General, disable "Integrate with 1Password app".
    3. Fully quit 1Password app and browser.
    4. Restart the 1Password app and then open browser.
    5. Right-click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose Settings.
    6. Under General, re-enable "Integrate with 1Password app".
    7. Test things out with the extension.

If the problems continue, then we'd like to ask the following:

• What version of the app do you have?
    • What browser are you using?
    • Do you have any other extensions installed in the browser?
    • Do you have anti-virus or anti-malware software on your computer?
    • Do you use a proxy or VPN?

Let us know how everything goes.

This discussion has been closed.