Can't install safari browser extension

tommy
tommy
Community Member
edited October 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

Can't install Safari Extension. Followed instructions from "install extension" on.
No luck

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: ??
OS Version: macOS 12.6
Browser:_ Safari
Referrer: forum-search:Mac Safari Browser extension

Comments

• Hi @tommy

You can download 1Password for Safari from the Mac App Store at the following link:

https://apps.apple.com/app/1password-for-safari/id1569813296?mt=12

After it's installed, open it and follow the onscreen instructions, which will look like this:

Then, after you've completed those steps, you can quit 1Password for Safari. It doesn't need to be actively running to allow you to autofill in Safari – it just needs to be in the Applications folder.

Give that a try and let me know how you get on. I'll be here if you need further help. :)

— Grey

• tommy
    tommy
    Community Member

That is all fine and dandy and didn't work. The link said "open" but there was no 1pw extension to activate.
    The solution is to go to the help menu in 1pw and chose trioubleshoot >> 1pw extension.
    I found those instructions and now I have the extension in Safari

• @tommy

I'm happy to hear that you were able to resolve the issue. 😊

• boberonicus
    boberonicus
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

Had the same problem. Fixed it using Tommy's instructions. More explicitly:

• Open the 1password app on the Menu Bar (top right)
    • From the top left 1Password menu, select Help,
    • then select "Fix Missing Safari Extension"
    • 1Password appears on the Safari toolbar, with an exclamation point.
    • Click on the just-installed extension
    • Select "Always Allow on any web site."
  • @boberonicus

I'm glad that you were able to resolve the issue as well, thank you for sharing the resolution steps. 🙂

-Dave

• swift
    swift
    Community Member

OMG!!! This was driving me nuts!!!
    Why is that not called out in a banner headline or something?

The fact that there is a "fix" in the Help menu, means someone is well aware of this problem. And it must be a documented problem.
    The fix should have been advertised.

• @swift

This is a problem we've only encountered with macOS Monterey – it looks like the underlying problem is solved in macOS Ventura, which will be released in a few days' time. Unfortunately, it's not a bug that we're able to solve as it comes from outside 1Password. Customers who upgrade to macOS Ventura won't need to worry about that bug any more.

For anyone who needs them, the steps in question are shown here:

If 1Password is missing from the Safari Extensions preferences list, you can use the 1Password app to restore it.

1. Open 1Password for Mac.
    2. Choose Help > Troubleshooting > Fix Missing Safari Extension from the menu bar.

— from the "If you don’t see 1Password in Safari preferences" section of the article If you don't see the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar from the 1Password Support website.

• Wagnercg80
    Wagnercg80
    Community Member

Wow! Thank you!! After trying several things including uninstalling other Safari extensions and anti-malware....this worked:

If 1Password is missing from the Safari Extensions preferences list, you can use the 1Password app to restore it.

Open 1Password for Mac.
        Choose Help > Troubleshooting > Fix Missing Safari Extension from the menu bar.

• paul.m_1p
    paul.m_1p
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Wagnercg80 - Thanks for checking in here and letting us know that solution worked in your case 🙂

We appreciate your continued support of 1Password - Cheers!

• desdrury
    desdrury
    Community Member

Hi,

I'm also missing the Safari extension and using the troubleshooting menu is not restoring it. I've just upgraded to 1Password 8 and am using Ventura 13.2.1. Any ideas?

Thanks.

• Hey @desdrury,

Can you let me know if you have installed 1Password for Safari from here: 1Password for Safari on the Mac App Store.

If yes, can you start by opening your Applications folder on your Mac and let me know if you see it here?

• desdrury
    desdrury
    Community Member

@steph.giles I hadn't realised that I needed to install the extension as a seperate install with version 8 of 1Password. All done now and working great thanks 🙏🏼

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@desdrury glad that things are working well now!

This discussion has been closed.