1password 8 information overload

alphi
alphi
Community Member
edited September 2022 in iOS

About a month or so ago my macOS version of 1password let me know that version 8 was available. I duly upgraded from v7 and since then have been swamped with all the passwords, logins & tags (with slight uppercase/lowercase variations being a separate tag) etc that every member of my family has. I have version 8.9.4, which in itself I find strange since I thought v8 was only recently released. Or am I missing something? Anyway, my family has 6 members, each with their own vault. I've worked out how to restrict the 1Password Extension to showing just one vault, but the main desktop app has got me flummoxed.

How can I restrict the desktop app to just show my passwords, rather than those of the other 5 family members as well? If I click on my vault in the sidebar, it does just show mine, and I can select a specific category from the dropdown at the top, but how do I select a tag from my vault alone, or how can I search in my vault alone. Both these show results from all the vaults combined. It makes it very difficult and confusing to manage.

The browser extensions allow you to deselect particular vaults in the family account, why is this capability not present in the main app? Or, is it?
Thanks.

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: 2.3.7
OS Version: macOS 12.2.1
Browser:_ Safari & Chrome

Comments

• alphi
    alphi
    Community Member

Similar issues with the iOS app. Search searches every vault. Favourites show favourites from every vault. Tags are shown from every vault. I assume the other vault owners (wife & children) won't have the same issues because they only have access permissions to their own vaults, but I've told them all to hold off from upgrading until I have a clearer idea of what is going on.

• Hi @alphi

You shouldn't be able to see the contents of anyone else's Private vault. If you can see other family members' items, that would tell me that they're in a shared vault of some kind, either the default Shared vault that's there when you start using your 1Password Families account, or one that was created later. If any of your family have "overshared" their items, they should move them back into their own Private vaults.

If those items are supposed to be in shared vaults, and you want to exclude them from your view when in the main 1Password app, you can make a Collection containing only the vaults you want to see: Use collections to create custom groups of vaults.

The tags and categories you see are based on the context from the account or collection chooser in the top-left corner, or whichever vault you've chosen in the sidebar – whichever is more restrictive. If you create a collection to limit your "scope", then only those items will be filtered by category or tag.

I hope that helps, but I do know that 1Password 8 does look quite a bit different, so if you have any questions, please do let me know. :)

— Grey

• alphi
    alphi
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

Collections! That works perfectly :) Thanks Grey!
    No, I can't see the contents of anyone's Private vault, but the default vault for family members seems to have always been the non-private one ... i.e. shared with me, being the family organiser, but no other family member.

• Glad to hear that collections helped! Honestly, they're one of my favourite new things in 1Password lately. It also sounds like all of your family's items are right where they should be. If you get stuck in the future, or if you have a burning question, please do ask. We'll be here to help out.

• alphi
    alphi
    Community Member

On iOS I've got my collection in the main app, but how do I restrict the iOS safari extension to the same collection?

• @alphi

1Password in Safari on iOS has to operate within the framework for Safari extensions on iOS, so it only has access to limited system resources. Right now, that means it can't limit its suggestions to particular vaults or collections. We are working on improving 1Password in Safari as much as we can to bring it as close to the desktop experience as practical, within the boundaries that are set. At last count, we had about 80 MB of RAM to play with, so we've had to squeeze as much functionality as possible into that space.

You can, however, limit your Password AutoFill (the "🔑 Passwords" button on the keyboard) settings to one collection, by changing "Show autofill suggestions from:" in 1Password's Settings > AutoFill. That might help do what you're looking for, so let me know.

• alphi
    alphi
    Community Member

Hi Grey - I think that will work for now. I didn't even know you could specify 1password in the iOS Settings.app password options. Thanks. :) Still a bit awkward with things like credit card numbers etc, but it's not too much of a hassle to select the correct vault each time.

• @alphi Great! Password AutoFill on iOS will only ever ask 1Password for usernames and passwords and doesn't (unfortunately) ever ask us for credit cards, so we can't autofill those. Luckily, if you're autofilling a credit card, it's probably on a website, so you can still use 1Password in Safari for that. As you said, checking that the right vault is selected shouldn't be something you have to do very much. If you bump your head on something and need help, do let me know.

This discussion has been closed.