UI/CLI integration request

feat_ford
feat_ford
Community Member

I'd love to see some integrations between the UI and the CLI.

1) A context menu option in the UI to generate CLI commands for vault items and fields.

My particular use-case is for Keyboard Maestro -- I have lots of macros that make use of values stored in 1password (passwords and OTPs mostly). Every time I need to make a new one, I struggle a little bit to remember how to find the item ID/field name that I need to make my op command retrieve the value I want (and make sure I'm looking in the right account etc.,) It would be GREAT to find an item in the UI, right click on a field and choose "cli - get item" and have a fully formed OP command copied to my clipboard to get that exact item.

(I just noticed that the item ID is included in sharing links, so you can get the item ID from those, but it's still a few extra steps to get the full op command to retrieve the field you want)

2) Search by item ID in UI.

Similarly, when troubleshooting said KM Macros, I sometimes want to double check that I'm using the right item ID, but don't want to go look up the syntax for op cli to retrieve it that way. It would be great to just paste the item ID into the search bar in the UI and have it pull up that item.

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.8.0, CLI 2.0.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS 12.3.1

Comments

• Hey @feat_ford !

Thank you for your suggestions. Growing the capabilities of the integration between the 1Password Application Client and the CLI is definitely on our roadmap, stay tuned for further improvements there.

Related to your second ask, I think that is already possible, can you please check and let us know if it works for you?, Looking forward to hearing from ya.

Best,
    Horia

• feat_ford
    feat_ford
    Community Member

I tried it while writing the post just to make sure it hadn't snuck in since I last tried it. I tried it in both search and find and neither worked for me. 1Password for Mac 8.8.0, 80800094, on BETA channel.

• Justin.Yoon_1P
    edited June 2022

Ah I believe there was a bit of a misunderstanding on point 2 - I think @Horia.Culea_1P meant that it is possible to lookup items, sections, and fields by ID in the CLI for commands like op read "op://vaultID/itemID/sectionID/fieldID" and such.

If you would like to request such a feature on the desktop apps, I believe you would get more direct interaction with the desktop application developers in the Mac application forums!

Edit after reading your first request:

My particular use-case is for Keyboard Maestro -- I have lots of macros that make use of values stored in 1password (passwords and OTPs mostly). Every time I need to make a new one, I struggle a little bit to remember how to find the item ID/field name that I need to make my op command retrieve the value I want (and make sure I'm looking in the right account etc.,) It would be GREAT to find an item in the UI, right click on a field and choose "cli - get item" and have a fully formed OP command copied to my clipboard to get that exact item.

Excellent ideas! We have an internal feature in the desktop application projects that tracks being able to display an item's secret reference when the CLI integration setting is enabled!

Would that fit your use case, or do you have anything else you'd like to see alongside this feature?

• appetite_j
    appetite_j
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

I'm on 8.9.6 80906011, BETA, and searching by item ID in the UI is now working.

It doesn't work in Quick Search, but I think that's fair.

• Thanks for the feedback!

This discussion has been closed.