Password History

vvt
vvt
Community Member
edited May 2022 in Windows

Hi
I upgraded my 1password to version 8. I can't find any option to view the previous password. How can I see the previous password? I can not see the view Item History option

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: windows

Comments

• Hello @vvt, thanks for this question! I'm happy to assist.

You can find password history for a given item like this:

1. Select your item of interest from the list
    2. Select the downward-pointing arrow from the item's password field
    3. Select view password history

Here, you'll find a list of passwords previously assigned to this item, and you can choose reveal to see any one of them.

I should note as well that this view password history option will only be present if there actually are previous passwords for an item. If an item has ever only had one password, the option won't appear as there's no history to show.

I hope this is helpful - let me know if you're able to locate the info you need using these steps!

• SFO
    SFO
    Community Member

I'm having an issue where I updated a password, but then the web app had an error, so the 1Password saved password got updated with the new password, but I need access to the old password as there was an error in the webpage. However, when I click view password history for that item, it only shows the newest generated password, it is not showing the old password.

• Hello @SFO,

Thanks for your message. I'm sorry to hear of the troubles you've been encountering with the password history.

You've mentioned using the web app. Can you let us know if you were referring to 1Password.com or the 1Password 8 app itself? If you are referring to the 1Password 8 app, you would only see one historical item - that of the original password. If you are seeing one or more entries in the password history, the oldest should be the original password.

You can also sign in at 1Password.com (or .ca.eu) to view and restore previous versions of items.

Please let us know if this helps or if you have any further questions.

• Edi
    Edi
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

can one see the history of all generated passwords/PINs? i generated a new PIN and forgot to save...
    this is in the 1Password 8 windows app

• Hello @Edi,

Thanks for your message about seeing the password/PIN history. If you did not save the generated PIN to the item in the this will not show up in the history:
    Check the password history

When using the password generator in 1Password in the browser, a copied or filled password/PIN will appear in the Password Generator history there:
    If you used the password generator and can't find the password to sign in

Please let us know if you have any further questions. We'll be happy to help!

• Edi
    Edi
    Community Member

why is the Password Generator history only for the browser extension?

• Hi @Edi,

The 1Password 8 app functionality for generating new passwords for items differs from 1Password in the browser, where it stores the older passwords in the history when a new password/PIN is saved.

I've included your thoughts in a feature request we're tracking about the implementation of an in-app, password generator.

Thanks for your feedback here, but do let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

ref: IDEA-I-298

This discussion has been closed.