Default vault with 1Password 8 for Mac

This discussion was created from comments split from: Defaults back to all vaults.
ยซ1

Comments

• srsabella
    srsabella
    Community Member

I use a iMac and just loaded Mac ver 8.7.3. The program no longer appears to give me the option to set a default vault. Can you suggest how I can set my default vault (I use several vaults)

• Hello @srsabella! ๐Ÿ‘‹

Thank you for the question! I've split your comment into a separate thread since it's starting a new topic.

It's not yet possible to set a default vault in 1Password 8 for Mac however this is something that our team is looking into. I've forwarded your request to our product team so that they're aware that you'd like to see this feature in 1Password 8.

Thank you for the suggestion. ๐Ÿ˜Š

ref: IDEA-I-292

• techmedic
    techmedic
    Community Member

this is a real problem, especially when trying to setup a pair of low-skilled users to save to a common vault between them.

• @techmedic

Thank you for providing your use case, I've passed along your comment to our developers so that they're aware of how this feature would help you and your team. ๐Ÿ™‚

• mickael
    mickael
    Community Member

wow, I just discovered this regression.

I was wondering why my new personal credentials were not visible on my phone.

On my desktop I have 2 accounts: 1 for my company and 1 personal, on my phone I have only my personal account.

Now my new credentials are saved directly in the private folder of my company account instead of my personal account.

It would be great to have the choice over the default vault back.

• ag_tommy
    edited July 2022

@mickael

Is this while saving in the browser? With 1Password in the browser you can specify a saving vault. Right-click on the toolbar icon and select settings. From there change the save vault to your liking. I'll be happy to advocate for you and let the team know you'd like to see a default vault setting within the main app. That said, please try setting the option above. I know it has helped me with where my items go.

• mickael
    mickael
    Community Member
    edited July 2022

Yeah indeed, that was my main usage. Thanks for the tip !

Note that it seems there is a bug with the dropdown selection of the default vault. We have lots of vaults (higher than the height of the screen) and select a not displayed vault was difficult because the drop down closes automatically.

I successfully selected the correct vault by using the keyboard navigation.

• ag_tommy
    edited July 2022

Thanks. I'll get that issue reported to the team. It seems fairly straightforward as far as the report goes. If we need additional details would you mind us reaching out to you?

ref: dev/core/core#16617

• mickael
    mickael
    Community Member

@ag_tommy Feel free to ask. If I can help this is with pleasure, I always had very good support here. If I can help, this is with pleasure !

• afoxman
    afoxman
    Community Member

Feeling the pain on this one, too. My wife and I share all our passwords, and seem to be regularly adding new entries. They keep showing up in personal vaults and its a small firedrill to find "missing" login info. Most of our usage is in the desktop and phone apps where there doesn't seem to be an option to choose a default.

• Thanks. I have made note of your comments. I appreciate you sharing them with us.

• dgreenbhm
    dgreenbhm
    Community Member

Same usage (my wife and I) and the same loss of feature issue.

• I've added a proxy vote on your behalf, @dgreenbhm! Thanks for sharing your feedback. ๐Ÿ™‚

• mburnett
    mburnett
    Community Member

+1 on โ€œ this is a real problem, especially when trying to setup a pair of low-skilled users to save to a common vault between them.โ€

• nca1pass
    nca1pass
    Community Member
    edited August 2022

I hope that allowing one to set a default vault to save to comes back very soon. As another user noted on a similar thread, removing features on new versions without explanation generally doesn't go over well with faithful long-term users. For many of us with family accounts, the non-private vaults are our main vaults to save to, and constantly reminding less tech-savvy family members to move their newly created logins to a shared vault makes it harder to convince them that 1password is worth using.

• SirGlub
    SirGlub
    Community Member

PLEASE allow setting of a default vault again! This is really screwing things up in our family account, where my low-tech wife and younger daughter are saving what should be shared passwords to their new "private" vaults. I had it in the past so each of them had a default and anything they saved would be stored in that default shared vault. This seems like a real regression in capabilities for a shared family account and I have no idea why that preference would have been removed. Please bring that feature back.

• cimorelli
    cimorelli
    Community Member

I just found this thread while searching for how to set the default vault for new entries in 1Password 8 on Mac. I'm sad to see there's no option, but at least there's talk about adding it. Is there a task/feature/issue of some sort that I can upvote?

• You just did that @cimorelli ๐Ÿ˜Š Happy to help.

• lobsta
    lobsta
    Community Member

I just spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how to set the default vault on android app and mac OS app. I guess the best I can do at this point is ask to add my vote to the task to restore this feature in 1Password 8. Thanks!

• ag_tommy
    edited August 2022

I've got you added lobsta.

• siplhium
    siplhium
    Community Member

+1 to restore this feature. Very disappointing to have all the energy go into a new appearance and all that, and a key feature is removed. Someone really dropped the ball. It's the first thing I saw when I upgraded to 1P8 and it's a real pain now. It's far too easy to get passwords saved in the wrong vault if you're not careful.

• BillD
    BillD
    Community Member

+1. The lack of a choice of default vault in the app has already caused some issues in our family.

• CH007
    CH007
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

I'm not sure if my issue is related to everyone else, but my gripe is that I have a company account which has an extensive "shared vault". I do not want to see the shared credentials when I'm using 1P to enter my individual saved credentials, I only want to use what's in my Private vault.

• legume
    legume
    Community Member

"......something that our team is looking into." ?????

This is infuriating; it's akin to leaving out light switches when building a new house.

• BecomeUseful
    BecomeUseful
    Community Member

I hate to say it, but I regret upgrading to 1Password 8. My wife and I shared a shared vault, it's the only place where we want to store our passwords, but the program defaults to Private. This issue destroys the setup we had with 1Password 7. I think you are about to lose a customer.

• LimeyHoya
    LimeyHoya
    Community Member

This has been driving me loopy too. I've gone through the (frankly painful) process of getting my family to actually use 1P and now they're creating passwords that they forget where they are and I'm struggling to do IT support for them all. Oh, and my work vault is now jammed with personal ones that I didn't pick up on either....

So, all in all, please put a giant +1 on ref: IDEA-I-292 from me, please.

• adamcadamc
    adamcadamc
    Community Member

+1 on this feature request, I love 1Password and have deployed it at my business. Seems strange that this is no longer supported and a poor decision on 1PW's part. It's little features like this that make life easier and improve usability. Don't drive away customers by removing simple features - I'm all for simplicity, but this is merely a user preference, should've never been removed and is really annoying that it was.

• VT1P
    VT1P
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

I am a longtime licensed version user. I am getting close to switching to 1P8. I would like to set up a family account so my spouse and I can each have our own separate passwords that will open our respective vaults, with the ability to include logins and credit cards we both use in each of our vaults. Can we do this?

Reading this thread, I am worried we cannot set up a family account this way.

The alternative would be to pay for two individual accounts, but then I am not sure we would be able to easily include logins and credit cards we both use in each of our separate account vaults.

This discussion has been closed.