To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

1P v8 generating wrong TOPT

aloksharma
aloksharma
Community Member
edited September 2022 in Memberships

Hi,

I believe after 2nd or 3rd last update, 1P v8 is generating wrong TOPT. I figured this out because I save TOTP's in Authy also. Authy is generating the correct TOPT. The problem occurred when a website won't accept the TOTP and I had to get the TOTP from Authy.

Surprisingly, 1P v8.9.3 Android is generating correct TOTP, but there is a difference of -1-2 seconds as compared to Authy.

The date/time of my laptop is set to auto and is in sync with my mobile phone date/time.

Please have a look at the screenshots:

1Password Version: 8.9.5
Extension Version: 2.3.7
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser:_ Firefox

Comments

• JOeMTC
    JOeMTC
    Community Member

Hello. I also noticed this issue with 1P version 8 on Windows. I don't have another authentication app to compare, but I do use both Windows 1P (version 8.9.5, production channel) and on iOS (version 8). Windows 1P will show the wrong OTP whereas 1P on iOS will show the correct one.

Windows will show an an previous (expired) OTP and iOS will show the current valid OTP. The OTP on Windows was behind by 12 seconds.

As I was prepping to get a photo of the issue (it took me a few attempts to get it nicely on camera), Windows and iOS were showing the same OTP (Photo 1), then when it came time to change OTP, Windows showed an invalid OTP (Photo 2). The previous valid OTP will then show on Windows and iOS will have the current valid OTP (Photo 3). I hope the photos make it clear.

Thank you very much for a great product and even greater customer support.

• JOeMTC
    JOeMTC
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

I was able to fix my issue. My system clock was all out of whack and off by more than 40 seconds. I used https://time.gov/?t=24 to compare my computer with their servers. After syncing, my OTP issue went away.

But OP mentioned his workstation system clock is in sync.

• Hi @aloksharma

Could you try visiting https://time.is/ on all your devices to make sure that they're in sync? I can't speak for Authy and how it works, but I want to make sure your system clock is accurate. 1Password will always use the system's clock to generate codes so it must be within 0.5 second of the real time to be accurate. If Authy is, for example, using a remote time server to generate its codes, that might lead to the discrepancy. I look forward to hearing how you get on with that check.

Also, your codes should refresh at :00 and :30 seconds past the minute. I notice you said that Authy's codes were off by about 12 seconds, so check to see which app is providing new codes at the :00- and :30-second marks and let me know. :)

— Grey

• @JOeMTC – I'm glad to hear that you've got it sorted! Almost all the issues we ever see with TOTP are time-based, just like the one-time passwords themselves! 😅

• aloksharma
    aloksharma
    Community Member

Hi @GreyM1P

There is something strange happening on my laptop and regardless of what I do, the time is never accurate. Either it is a few seconds ahead or few seconds behind. I even changed the time-server to time.nist.gov, but it didn't help. May be something is wrong with Windows 10 or my laptop.

Before synchronizing the time:

After synchronizing the time:

• aloksharma
    aloksharma
    Community Member

So as I continued to research for this problem, I found more people having this issue – https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-force-windows-10-time-to-synch-with-a-time/20f3b546-af38-42fb-a2d0-d4df13cc8f43?page=3

I found the 2nd last reply from the bottom to be very useful:

If your system is still losing time after shutdown, and you are not syncing to a standard, then the CMOS battery is probably the culprit. Though, I believe, many portable devices use their regular battery to keep the clock running when shut down. Most Laptops still have CMOS batteries, requiring judicious disassembly to replace.

I have ordered CR2032 battery and should receive it in 2 days. I hope replacing the CMOS battery should solve the issue.

• @aloksharma – thanks for the update! I'll be keen to hear what happens with that new clock battery, so do let me know. :)

This discussion has been closed.