"Type in window" feature gone in 1password 8 [Planned for a future update]

Options
cascer1
cascer1
Community Member
edited July 2022 in Windows

Hi!

I recently upgraded to 1password 8 and noticed that the "type in window" feature is gone. Is there some way to enable this again?

This was very useful for me in some situations where the application doesn't allow pasting passwords. (Yeah I know, why would they forbid that?)

Thanks

1Password Version: 8.7.3
Extension Version: 2.3.7
OS Version: Windows 11 build 22621
Browser:_ Firefox

Comments

• AliH1P
    Options

Hey @cascer1, thanks for reaching out. Type in Window or Auto-type for 1Password 8 is something we're actively looking into and hope to have more information soon. While I can't make any promises, I have added your comments to the feature request we have tracking this internally.

In the meantime, have you tried to use drag and drop to fill passwords? For example, if you select the field in the application first, and then drag and drop, does that fill it out for you? Let me know how that goes!

Ali

ref: IDEA-I-193

• Nesswork
    Nesswork
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @AliH1P
    Just adding to the existing request. I have found and used the drag and drop will work however it makes the experience more difficult when you are dealing with a multi-screen system. I now have to drag passwords across screens to get them to where I need them instead of using the hand dropdown and selecting where to type.
    Hoping to see the feature returned in an update.

• Hello @Nesswork,

I can understand the difficulties you are facing when it comes to using multiple displays. I've added your +1 to our internal feature request.

Thanks for your feedback!

• comtide
    comtide
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,
    this feature is the most important one for us. We're an IT company, and we used this to get access to computers by remote. Copy and paste is not allowed on the login screen. So with the update to version 8 the software is now unusable for us :( We downgraded for now, but it would make me sad if we have to look for another password manager. So please give it another upvote from us as well.
    Lars

• MikeT
    edited July 2022
    Options

Hi @comtide,

Thanks for letting us know. I've added your votes as well.

We are planning to bring this to 1Password 8 but we don't yet have a timeframe on when that might happen.

Just to clarify, you are not able to drag and drop the field into your remote desktop app either, right?

• comtide
    comtide
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT,
    glad to hear that. For the moment we're fine with the old version. To answer your question, not the drag and drop is not working.

• MikeT
    Options

Great, thanks for letting us know. We'll try to get this out as soon as possible.

• stevesimons
    stevesimons
    Community Member
    Options

It’s really distressing to ‘upgrade’ to less features - that are useful at least. On Windows the ‘fill in window…’ function is quite critical when working with multiple Remote Desktop connections. Copy/paste doesn’t work, and the idea drag and dropping when screen real estate is tight is a ridiculous workaround and didn’t work. Literally only workaround is ‘reveal large type’ and manually type in a remote window, sucks for 20-24 character passwords, useless for ssh keys. Only real solution is reverting to 1P 7.x version.
    Add the toy/kid appearance, the confusing search function, 1P 8.0 is an extremely disappointing upgrade.

• Jimmy2087
    Jimmy2087
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I am facing the same issue, any idea when this will be implemented? Why did you remove this feature in the first place?

• chintanraval
    chintanraval
    Community Member
    Options

affected by the same issue as some bank sites add crazy overlays which require us to type and not auto-fill/copy-paste passwords.. this is where the Type-in-window feature comes handy. just adding more weight to this reported issue while I consider uninstalling 1Password 8 and move back to 1Password7 (unfortunately)

• Hey @stevesimons / @Jimmy2087 / @chintanraval / @cascer1 / @Nesswork / @comtide

We greatly appreciate your feedback. I have some positive news to share regarding the Type in Window feature - it is now available in our latest Nightly release!

This feature will make it's way to our Production (stable) release in a future update, but if you'd like to try it now you can switch to the Nightly release channel:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Click your account or collection at the top of the sidebar and choose Settings.
    3. Click Advanced, then set “Release channel” to Nightly.
    4. Click About > Check for Updates

You should now be able to type in window by selecting ˅ > Type in window:

Let me know how that goes or if you have any questions!

Ali

• chintanraval
    chintanraval
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @AliH1P .. thanks fo much.. pretty exciting indeed. i switched to nightly and upgraded to 1Password for Windows 8.9.6 (80906016 on nightly channel).. the 'Type in window' does show up in 1Password now, but two things happened..
    1. it didn't show any Chrome windows.. but did show Edge windows/tabs if I tried the same site in Edge..
    2. the 'Type in window' did not auto-fill as before though (https://netbanking.hdfcbank.com/netbanking/) but maybe it's a website restriction so I'll try again later after a few releases..

thanks again for letting us know that its made its way to nightly..

• Hey @chintanraval, thanks for your sharing your experience with the type-in-window feature. I was unable to reproduce the issues you mentioned. To get a better idea about your setup, could you let me know whether you're running Windows 10 or Windows 11?

1. You mentioned that Chrome windows didn't appear, was Chrome minimized and did you have multiple other windows opened when you tested this? Could you try with just Chrome opened and let me know whether it appears?

2. Although I don't have an account on this website to test extensively, I was able to use the type-in-window feature on the initial login page to fill in a Customer ID/User ID. Are you encountering issues on this page as well?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

• BillStiles77
    BillStiles77
    Community Member
    Options

I have been cursing various websites and applications (like Zoom) that refuse to easily let me use 1Password. Then yesterday I stumbled upon ""Type in window" and did the Snoopy happy dance! So needed - thank you developers! No more "Show in Large Type" and then try to carefully type manually in a dialog box or window that won't let you see what you have typed!! Good on you, team!

• Hello @BillStiles,

Thanks so much for your message! On behalf of 1Password, you're most welcome. We're so glad to get this highly sought after feature in to customer hands!

This discussion has been closed.