To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Can't add YubiKey 5Ci as 2FA (LegacyServerError: Invalid request parameters)

XIII
XIII
Community Member
edited October 2022 in Memberships

I want to add my YubiKey 5Ci as 2FA on https://my.1password.com/profile/2fa, but I get this error:

Failed to add security key.
LegacyServerError: Invalid request parameters.

Can you please fix this?

1Password Version: Web
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: macOS Monterey 12.6
Browser:_ Safari 16.0

Comments

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Note: I was able to add the same key on iPadOS 15 and can then use it on macOS, but I can't add it on macOS...

• Hello @XIII! 👋

Can you open a Private/Incognito window in your browser, login in to your 1Password account on 1Password.com in that window, and then try adding a Security Key again?

Let me know if you see the same error message. 🙂

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

I do (eventually) see the same error in a new Private Window in Safari:

• when trying to add the key I got a message that the key is already registered (OK)
    • after removing the key and trying to add it again I get a message that the key is already registered (Wrong)
    • after logging out and logging in again I get the same "Invalid request parameters" message as before when trying to add the key (Wrong)

When using the "I" (Lightning) instead of the "C" (USB-C) side of my YubiKey 5Ci on an iPad Pro 10,5" I can add this YubiKey without issues.

• @XIII – do you see the same behaviour in any other web browsers on your Mac? I'd be curious to know if this affects only Safari or macOS as a whole in your case.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

In Firefox (105.0.3) I get the same weird error that the key is already registered, just after removing it...

However, at a second attempt I could successfully add my YubiKey in Firefox on my Mac.

• @XIII

I'm so sorry for the delayed reply. So that our team can investigate this further can you generate a console log using your browser:

Attach the console log to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Can you please try to reproduce this locally, without me sharing logs?

• @XIII I was able to reproduce the difficulty with my Yubikey 5Ci + Safari on Mac, and will be filing an issue for development based on those findings. It would still be helpful to have your logs as an additional datapoint, but I understand if you'd rather not share. Thank you for reporting the situation.

Ben

ref: dev/b5/b5#18380

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Thanks!

• @XIII

Thank you again for reporting the issue. 😊

• TK111
    TK111
    Community Member

I just had the same error with a 5C nano key. I had no issues adding 2 other 5C NFC's right before it tried the nano.

• @TK111

I'm sorry to hear that you've run into the same issue. Do you happen to have a PIN enabled on your YubiKey? And are you able to add your Security Key using a different browser or do you run into the same issue?

-Dave

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    • Initially I had no PIN set, but currently I indeed use a PIN
    • As posted before: it works in Firefox

(I did not re-test with Safari 16.1; might try that later)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

It works correct in Safari 16.1 on macOS Monterey 12.6.1 :)

• @XIII

Thank you for the additional details, I've updated our internal work item for the issue. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.