Passkeys

LarryMcJ
LarryMcJ
Community Member

Will we ever be able to store passkeys in 1Password? Apple Keychain password manager allows this now. Thanks.

Comments

• Hi @LarryMcJ

In short: yes! I made a reply to a post about this here: Passkey for iPhone — 1Password Support Community which you might find interesting. I'll be happy to answer any questions you have either here or on that thread. :)

— Grey

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

Thanks @GreyM1P – My only question would be one you probably can't answer yet. When? Obviously, Apple already has it wrapped into the Keychain Password Manager in iOS 16 and the Ventura beta, but at least one of your primary competitors has it live already, so the APIs must be available.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

+1 for the “When?”

(I noticed yesterday that Cloudflare already supports Passkeys, which was my first encounter in a production environment)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Since you already support YubiKey as 2FA (though it does currently not work for me), you probably already support WebAuthn?

If so, can you please add support for passkeys as well?

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/iphone/iphf538ea8d0/ios

1Password Version: Web
    Extension Version: n/a
    OS Version: macOS Montery 12.6
    Browser:_ Safari 16.0

• GreyM1P
    edited October 2022

@LarryMcJ We don't have any specific dates to talk about right now, but Passkey support is one of our main priorities right now and it's coming in the very near future.

Luckily for everyone involved, passkeys aren't in very wide use across the web right now and are still somewhat in the early stages of their rollout. Like I said in the linked post above, I don't expect that there will be a sea change in how most websites do their sign-ins overnight; it'll be a multiple-year process at the very least, I would say. Considering how two-factor authentication isn't in use on every website already (which has been around for years now), it's safe to say that this rollout across the web will be a slow-ish one, and we'll be ready in plenty of time. :)

We hope to have something exciting to talk about in this regard very soon, so do stay tuned. The best place to find out about new things from 1Password is our Blog or by signing up for our Newsletter (which goes out about once a month or so).

@XIII I'll pass on your suggestion to support passkeys when signing in to your 1Password account for the product team to consider. Thanks for the idea!

ref: IDEA-I-1982

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

So far I have only been able to use passkeys with Cloudflare and GitHub (I keep track using a tag in 1Password 😉).

Unfortunately in both instances as 2FA (replacing TOTP) only; not to entirely replace username/password (which should be possible?).

• @XIII – I expect there will be some time before passkeys are widespread as a replacement for username/password specifically, but perhaps using it only as a 2FA token for now is a way for websites to kinda-sorta beta test them without risking people locking themselves out completely.

You're quite right – it should be possible to use passkeys in that way right now, but I suspect (and this is only a suspicion) this is a lower-risk way of checking to see what trouble they might run into with live customers. 2FA is, typically, only used on the first sign-in on a new device so if there's a problem, then the user is still signed in on their other devices and can probably turn 2FA off from there.

This discussion has been closed.