1Password 8 Beta: Alphabetical scroll when scrolling through items

SmallsOnline
SmallsOnline
Community Member

Been trying out the beta for 1Password 8 on my iPhone and noticed that the alphabetical scroll isn’t there and it’s instead the traditional iOS scroll bar. Are there any plans to add that back as an option in the future?

This is what it looks like on 1Password 7:

I do know that the alphabetical scroll bar can be pretty confusing and/or problematic for getting to a specific item, but I got used to it and it was very helpful to get to all of the different letters in my items. It is by no means a deal breaker at all. Lol It could be that I’ll get used to using the traditional iOS scroll bar in 1Password 8 as time goes on, but I figured I’d bring it up just in case anyone else was wondering about it as well. I couldn’t find another post about it.

Comments

• Hi @SmallsOnline

Yes, we are tracking this one it didn't make the beta cut but we are working on it!

ref: dev/core/core#14632

• SmallsOnline
    SmallsOnline
    Community Member

Awesome! Thanks for the update! :D

• bpjones
    bpjones
    Community Member

Is this feature still on the radar to be added? With search being broken (ok, impaired because it requires a workaround) it’s a bit difficult to navigate to items at the bottom of the list.

• @bpjones

The issue remains open. I'm afraid I do not know have any knowledge on where the development team is at with it. I'm happy to hear you found the workaround. Hopefully, we can get this resolved within the next update.

• Beavis97
    Beavis97
    Community Member
    edited August 2022

Will this ever be added? I'm disappointed it was not in the final release. I literally use it every single time I use the app. I also like the built in browser in 1P 7

• bpjones
    bpjones
    Community Member

Surprised you shipped GA without this common sense feature. Compared to v7, it’s regressive and for folks that have 1000 items in the list like me, it’s just a real pain. This feature is table stakes and shouldn’t be an enhancement request. I don’t mean to be ugly, but I keep seeing polish applied to the animation on watchtower and just doesn’t make sense why that would gain more developer attention than this feature. Please, please don’t shift focus only towards the shiny stuff and abandon the basics.

• trh98
    trh98
    Community Member

Same. I believe I'm going to revert back to v7. As this was brought to their attention in April and it's now September. It's obviously not a priority at all. There are so many design changes to v8 that seem to just be changed for the sake of change. Not to make the experience any better. I have the family version and we have, for the first time, talked about switching to another password manager.

Why make the large reveal fill up the entire screen? I thought the large version on v7 was perfect. What could possibly be the reason that the developers removed the alphabet on the right side of the logins? I could easily just click an area of the alphabet and be near what I'm looking for. Now, I have to scroll the list first just to get the standard Apple bar to show, then quickly click and hold it to move it. How do I know where I'm at in the alphabet? I don't. I just keep scrolling until I get lucky. It's actually easier to search for a password which I hate (I just hate having to type out something I need when a simple single push of a letter did the same).

I also hate to sound upset. I'm happy 1Password is at least attempting to make things better. I just really don't even understand what possible decisions/arguments could be made to make some of these changes. In my case, it's actually causing me to have discussions with family about moving to a different password manager. This was never, ever, a discussion we would've thought of in v7. I even have family members who have removed their 1password because of the removal of "Never" as an option to never have to put in the master password if the biometrics continue to work correctly. This isn't as huge of a deal to me but it has cost me family members who were using it and have now uninstalled. I understand the thought process behind it, to make sure someone keeps remembering their master password, but are biometrics not secure enough?

• bpjones
    bpjones
    Community Member

I’m happy to see that they added back this feature in the latest iOS beta 8.9.6!!

• nateb20
    nateb20
    Community Member

I can't believe this didn't make the cut in 1Password 8. It's the feature I used the most to scroll through my passwords. I see the comment about it being added back in iOS beta 8.9.6.

Anyone confirm this and know when the update to the app will be released to the public?

• I can confirm that it is in beta and it won't be long before it is out. 😀👍🏻

Ben

This discussion has been closed.