Way to search in current(selected or focused) vault

bleachwind
bleachwind
Community Member

Hi team,

I recently upgraded my 1Password Windows client to v8. The UI is much better with a lot of usability improvements. The search function and how the items present are the only things buggering me.

The previous version allows me to select a vault and only see content for this vault in the whole UI while doing a search. Now I am not able to focus on a single vault and everything showing at the same time. It's not a big problem but when it comes to searching for an item, there is no way(as far as I can tell) to search within a vault. I guess for the personal user(I use 1Password for my family) it's not a big deal since personal users do not tend to have many vaults. But for business users, there are multiple vaults and thousands of entries. Searching for an item without any advanced search is very painful...

Questions:
Did I miss something for the search setting that can limit the search to a vault?
Does the team have any plan to implement an advanced search? e.g. search by system field or custom field

Cheers

1Password Version: 8.9.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• sflick
    sflick
    Community Member

Yes, please allow to search in a specific vault and also specific categories only.
    One use case:
    You have your mail account in the category "E-Mails" and want to use it to setup a new mail client. But if you search for your mail adress, 1Password will also show you all your accounts where you have used your mail. This is especially bad if you have lots of other mail accounts in your vault because you can't find it quickly just by clicking on the category.

• ag_mike_d
    edited October 2022

Hello @bleachwind and @sflick,

Thanks for your messages and feedback about searching within 1Password 8. We've been working on making improvements to the search functionality and you can currently select a vault, category or tag from the left sidebar and use (Ctrl + F) to narrow your search. The use of the (Ctrl + Enter) to Show all matching items can also be used to populate the results in the item list below the search bar.

Edit: You can also use Find (Ctrl + Alt + F) - Search 1Password to find what you need

@sflick, if you haven't already, you can add Categories to the sidebar through Settings (Ctrl + Comma) > Appearance > Always Show in Sidebar and select Categories and/or Tags.

Let us know if this information helps!

• sflick
    sflick
    Community Member

@ag_mike_d Thanks for the tip! That's very useful. I wish it would be discoverable through looking at the UI. It's also unavailable in the quick access or browser extension.

• @sflick, you're most welcome and thanks for the additional feedback!

Our guide about searching 1Password to find what you need maybe helpful. I've edited my last post to include the Find option (Ctrl + Alt + F) - apologies for not including this previously. You may also find some useful keyboard shortcuts here: 1Password keyboard shortcuts

While this option is not available in 1Password in the browser, by selecting the 1Password icon to the left of the search bar, you designate a specific vault to search, which should help to narrow your search.

With regard to Quick Access, this feature is not available, but I'll pass these details along to the team! If you're not familiar with Collections, you can use this feature to create custom groups of vaults. Switching to a collection in the app or quick access, you’ll only see items from vaults added to your collection.

Please let us know if you have any further concerns!

• bleachwind
    bleachwind
    Community Member

@ag_mike_d Thanks for your swift response. Great to learn how to perform such searching capability. Now I will ask for more....🤑

• Is there any plan to make the search parameters can be combined? e.g. =tag:id & =vault:API
    • Is there any plan to have some sort of auto-completion? e.g. when I type =tag: it will list out all the tags available. It saves a few clicks and makes the search bar more central-focused.

Thanks again!

• Hello @bleachwind,

Thanks for your reply and further suggestions here. We're currently tracking the first item mentioned and I've created a new feature request for the second. While I can't make any promises about when or if such features will be implemented, I included your thoughts in each suggestion for the team's consideration. We appreciate your feedback!

ref: IDEA-I-1480
    ref: IDEA-I-1995

• bleachwind
    bleachwind
    Community Member

@ag_mike_d
    No problem. I understand software development. Great work team and look forward to see more cool features!

• Thanks for your kind reply, @bleachwind - have a great day!

• tdbbs
    tdbbs
    Community Member

please bring back the feature that allowed you to select vaults to be searched under the normal search. i have some vaults full of old information that i don't want searched when i do a find. if i need to find something in those vaults i can go directly to that vault and do a local search. But by default i want them ignored. this is particularly useful in the web browser to cut down on the number of false positives when it pulls up a page's passwords. so when. you bring this very. useful feature back please make sure it works in the browsers too. thanks.

• ag_mike_d
    edited November 2022

Hi @tdbbs,

Thanks for your message. It sounds like you are referring to the option from 1Password 7 for Windows where you could select which vault(s) appear when searching under All Vaults.

In 1Password 8 we've introduced Collections where you can create a custom group of vaults from any of your accounts. When creating a collection you can include only the vaults that you want to see results from. Then, selecting this collection in the sidebar or in Quick Access, a search will only produce results from those vaults. Give this a try and let us know how this works for you: Use collections to create custom groups of vaults

While collections are not currently available in 1Password in the browser, we do have any open feature request with the Product team, in which I've cast a vote on your behalf.

Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

ref: IDEA-I-1097

• tdbbs
    tdbbs
    Community Member

I setup a collection. i'll give it a try for a while. I do vote for this function in web browsers. When i go to google and try to log in, literally i get 30+ options. As IT director i have a lot of past employee's information and such in a vault i don't want in play.

• Thanks, @tdbbs!

Do let us know how you get along with the collection you created.

Given your case, I can understand the issue with seeing several options appearing in certain vaults. I don't have any additional information to share with regards to the implementation of this functionality in 1Password in the browser, but I've cast that vote for you previously! 👍

Have a great day!

• joaoguerrasantos
    joaoguerrasantos
    Community Member

+1 for having Quick Search performed on a pre-selected list of Vaults.

• jamie_murphy
    jamie_murphy
    Community Member

+1 on making it easier / quicker to do this without keyboard shortcuts for accessibility usecases. Not everyone can easily Ctrl + F if they have typing difficulties.

• Hello @joaoguerrasantos and @jamie_murphy,

Thanks for your messages and feedback in this thread.

@joaoguerrasantos, it sounds like Collections might work for you, Use collections to create custom groups of vaults. Once a created, you can select this collection from the left sidebar and search results will only be pulled from the pre-selected list of vaults that you've added to that collection. Let us know how you get along with this feature.

@jamie_murphy - we can certainly understand where customers may have difficulties with keyboard shortcuts and would be happy to pass along any suggestions to the product team. Could you let us know how you resolve this currently, or what improvements we could make this easier and quicker for you? Thanks!

• joaoguerrasantos
    joaoguerrasantos
    Community Member

I can't believe I missed this @ag_mike_d. Basically the feature from before is still there, you just made it more flexible and self adjustable.
    Great stuff! Thanks for the support - spot on!

• Hello again @joaoguerrasantos - You're most welcome. I'm glad to be of assistance! 😀

This discussion has been closed.