TouchID does not work when browser update available

Options
mrmachine
mrmachine
Community Member
edited October 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

This issue is extremely annoying.

All the web browsers I use (Chrome/Edge) seem to have updates to install almost daily. Whenever the browser determines that an update is available, the 1Password integration no longer allows me to unlock with TouchID, forcing me to type my long master password over and over again all day long OR restart the browser to update.

The problem is, I am always in the middle of doing something. I have a lot of browser windows and tabs open. Even when the browser successfully re-opens all windows and tabs after installing an update, which it doesn't always manage, it is still extremely inconvenient because many pages lose some context on reload, and it takes time while I sit and wait.

And then, it just happens again the next day, and the next day, and the next day. It's a constant cycle of restarting my browser and waiting/hoping my tabs and windows will come back, just so I can continue to use Touch ID with 1Password, which is my most frequent and favourite use for Touch ID, period.

I don't remember this being the case in previous versions. Maybe 1Password 7 mini didn't behave this way? Maybe browser didn't release updates so frequently in the past? Maybe browsers are to blame by blocking access to Touch ID when they have an update? Maybe browsers don't have updates daily, and it just feels that way to me because I often avoid restarting the browser and just cave in and type my master password so I can get some work done.

I don't care. I just want to unlock 1Password with Touch ID. Please do whatever you can to make this feature actually work without such frequent interruptions again.

1Password Version: 8.9.6 (80906030)
Extension Version: 2.4.5
OS Version: macOS 12.6
Browser:_ Chrome/Edge

Comments

• mrmachine
    mrmachine
    Community Member
    Options

Seriously, this is so annoying. I am having to revert to disable the 1Password browser integration entirely and rely on the browser to remember passwords, and manually save new logins to 1Password and use the 1Password app directly to get the password if the browser hasn't yet remembered it or it has been updated.

No response from 1Password on this issue?

This discussion has been closed.