Date format is incorrect in 1Password for Mac

doof
doof
Community Member
edited March 22 in Mac

Hi, greetings from the UK.

I noticed that the date / time format for created / modified uses North American format (ie. back to front for us Brits).
Could this be changed to use the locale of the user please?

Many thanks.

1Password Version: 8.7.1
Extension Version: 2.3.5
OS Version: macOS 12.4
Browser:_ Firefox 101.0

Comments

• Hi @doof:

Great question! This is something we're continuing to investigate and hopefully we can sort out in the future. Thanks for reaching out, and feel free to get in touch if there's anything else we can help you with in the future.

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#8747

• planetf1
    planetf1
    Community Member

I just noticed this same issue when looking at an entry. The bad date format completely confused me as I didn't realise the entry marked
    8/11/2002 meant 11 August!

1password must respect the local date format on the system, or allow overriding. this is basic for all applications

• Mycenius
    Mycenius
    Community Member

Agree - it's a major failure to not understand the rest of the entire world does not use archaic US formats for time/date, distances/weights, etc...

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member

+1 please fix this; US format is non-sensical for people in Europe and confusing, e.g.

and fix the time, please as well, so it can be shown in 24h format

• NormanNorwich
    NormanNorwich
    Community Member

+1 to this - please make date & time match local system format!

• doml
    doml
    Community Member

Is there no update on this? The idea that simple localisation needs to be 'investigated' and 'hopefully sorted out in the future' is baffling to me. You're a company that has been developing software for an extended period of time. Not being able to take into account the locale is such a basic thing.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

+1 for this as it should have been fixed months ago.

• Sorrel
    Sorrel
    Community Member

It is very annoying - I came here tonight to see if there was a way to get this changed!

• menz
    menz
    Community Member

Yet another +1 post.

1Password says it's using my system defaults:

These are my system settings:

Yet, here's some dates in 1Password:

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member

I would prefer the date in format (date) (month) (year) for eg. 15 August 2022. The month to always be alphabets and not numbers. The representation does better and there’s no confusion for any reason.

• Hey folks,

Thanks for bringing this back up. While I can't share any specifics, this is something we're aware of, and hopefully we can have the created/modified dates follow system-wide date format settings soon.

Jack

• wilruns
    wilruns
    Community Member

+1, this inevitably leads to a rant of how stupid the US date format is.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

+1 this lack of care for your non US users is more than annoying.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Please don’t blame the kind Canadians for the stupid mistakes we make in the US.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

Sadly the kind Canadians who designed and build the brilliant 1PW 1-7 seem to have left the company and were replaced by people who don't care about details or usability.

• Mycenius
    Mycenius
    Community Member

I've resorted to leaving a "1-Star" review in the iOS App Store out of frustration over this (and the removal of the PIN code security option) not being addressed. They are both basic functions and the date should follow your locale/system settings and likewise the PIN code shouldn't have been removed. Its about 2 months now I think and no remedy? Will repeat in the Windows and MacOS app stores as well if needed (as I use all 3 device types).

At this stage I'm starting to reluctantly plan to ditch 1Password in a couple of months and look for an alternative solution as this and the date format issue (both 5-minute fixes I expect) look like they won't be addressed in immediate future - extremely frustrating. Pity as I liked 1Password and thought some of the other aspects of v8 update looked quite good. :-(

P.S. As a comparison I use Proton Mail as one of my mail apps/accounts - I asked them to increase their PIN option from 4 digits to 6 when I very first signed up and had first got the app (sometime ago) and they had changed it, and went further to a variable 4-8 digits to match iOS system options; AND all within less than 3 days!

• cewright
    cewright
    Community Member

Hi - The date format for 1Password (modified:, created:, etc) is set to the US format of month:day:year. How can I change this format to the one the rest of the world uses - day:month:year? I cannot find any way via preferences or menu options in 1Password.
    Thank you.

1Password Version: 8.9.4
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: macOS 12.6
    Browser:_ Chrome
    Referrer: forum-search:How do I change the date format to day:month:year for my records?

• Hi @cewright

Currently, the English version of 1Password is English (US), so you'll see dates in the mm/dd/yyyy format. I've passed your request for a more "English (UK)" style of date to the development team for their consideration. I can't promise if or when that'll be included, so keep an eye on the release notes as 1Password updates to see what's new.

— Grey

• StrangeNoises
    StrangeNoises
    Community Member

+1 having bizarrely only just noticed this myself. It should follow the system localization settings, obviously. it's been months now, this shouldn't be so hard... You're not storing the dates as strings are you?

• Mycenius
    Mycenius
    Community Member

I have just reinstalled v8 on my iPhone 12 running iOS 15.6.1 and it looks like its now working correctly there. I will need to fire up my MacBook Pro to check on MacOS. Its definitely still wrong on my Windows 10 PC.

• philrob
    philrob
    Community Member

As others have said, this shouldn't take this long to fix. If a 'proper fix' to manage regional settings is too complicated/difficult to deliver in a reasonable timescale, then please implement a 'hot fix' that is unambiguous and understood by all. yyyy-mm-dd would eliminate any misunderstandings (and is also an ISO standard). - All you would need to do is to change what is probably a single line of code to replace MM/DD/YYYY with YYYY-MM-DD.

I am becoming increasingly concerned about the company post acquisition. Once upon a time 1P stood for thoroughness, reliability and trust. - Basic coding design errors like ambiguous dates in an international product that are left unfixed for a long time are destroying that reputation.

This was originally raised in June, acknowledged (again) August 15th. Another 6+ weeks has gone by and still no fix. @Jack.P_1P any chance of an update - or even better a firm promise that this fundamental failure in basic coding will get fixed before a certain date or in a specific future release - "we are aware of it" and "hopefully ...[fix it]... soon" isn't confidence inspiring.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

Reading the release notes of the last updates I get the impression that bugs a rarely fixed and they concentrate on "changing icons" and other small design issues. Agilebits' software development seems to be completly out of control.

• doml
    doml
    Community Member

It really does seem like the 1Password team are busy focusing on venture capital and really don't care.

• henrys
    henrys
    Community Member

Just noticed this as well. Bizarre that it does not respect the system region settings, and this style of US date formatting would have to be the worst default to pick (unless you live there)

• Kevin10
    Kevin10
    Community Member

I saw this thread makes multiple references to the modified/created date, but hopefully the other date fields are all being addressed, like the "Expire Date" field on the API Credential, Passport or Outdoor License templates. (Aside: it seems surprising to me that the Expiry Date field on the "Membership" template is only month/year instead of a full date. Also, I'm surprised the Software License template does not have an Expire Date field by default. Most software I purchase needs to be renewed)

• pmanuel
    pmanuel
    Community Member

I am using the 1Password app on Mac. The Created and Modified dates for items are shown in the US-centric short date format mm/dd/yyy. For any date prior to the 13th of any month this is very confusing. Can you please ensure that the date format conforms to that used by the rest of the world eg dd/mm/yyyy.

1Password Version: 8.9.8
    Extension Version: NA
    OS Version: macOS 13.0
    Browser:_ NA
    Referrer: forum-search:short date format incorrect for Australia

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

It's not limited to Australia. All non US countries are affected and the problem is known since the early acces versions of 1PW8 were released about a year ago. The only response you get from AgileBits is that this is a known problem and they are still looking into it. One might think they simply don't care...

• Thanks for all the valuable feedback here, folks. I don't have any updates to share at the moment but will be sure to post here once we do. In the meantime. everyone in this thread has been added to our internal tracker on the topic.

@Kevin10, regarding your other feedback, I agree! We have an open feature request to bring more customization to item categories and templates, so I'll add a vote on your behalf there. 🙂

ref: dev/core/core#8747
    ref: IDEA-I-374

• doml
    doml
    Community Member

Genuinely awful reply. More than 4 months and no apology, no timeline, nothing more than a simple oh we will let you know.

This is a ridiculously easy thing to fix. The fact that it hasn't been in over 4 months is just going to continue to make people think you do not care.