Community Site Dark Mode

Options
AMonitorDarkly
AMonitorDarkly
Community Member
edited September 2022 in Lounge

Can we please get an automated dark mode for this community site? Anytime I come here after dark I blow out my retinas.

I see that this exists on the desktop version of the site but not on the mobile version for some odd reason.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member
    Options

I agree with you but I’m usually here on my iPad Pro and dark mode is active. On my phone as you noted it is not but I use an app on both - Noir - that can add a dark mode to most sites if they don’t have a native one. I use it all the time and have been extremely pleased, its activation can be customized quite a bit so that it triggers when and where you want it to.

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member
    Options

It’s funny I was reading your post on my iPad Pro which is displaying the site in dark mode but I couldn’t find a setting on the site itself for this. I looked everywhere I could but couldn’t find it.

The Noir app is not active on the 1Password site so on my phone the site is displayed as is. I’m leaving it that way on my phone, on my big iPad Pro screen the site would be blinding if a dark mode wasn’t active. But I still can’t find where that setting is located.

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks!

I did some digging. It doesn't appear we can customize the styling of the mobile theme for the forum. 😐️ We did add our own custom styling for desktop which automatically displays a darker theme if you've got your browser/operating system set to prefer that. There isn't a manual setting. Ultimately we'll likely need to move to the new theming engine from our forum provider, which may give us more flexibility in this regard, but that isn't currently on the radar. Maybe next year. 🤞

Ben

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben Thanks for mentioning this. I couldn’t figure out why the site is in dark mode on my iPad but not on my phone. But the iPad requests the desktop version. I went searching for some manual setting for this and couldn’t find anything.

• @pappjo – You can tap the ᴀA button at the left-hand end of the address bar in Safari and choose "Request Mobile Website".

In Chrome (on iPhone, at least), you can tap the ••• button and choose "Request mobile website" there. It may

It may be in similar places in other browsers. Hope that helps!

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks but I prefer the dark mode, not essential on my phone but on my big iPad Pro the site would be blinding without it. So I’m good.

• @pappjo

The same thing will also work in reverse on your phone. If you prefer the desktop site (although it's admittedly easier to use in landscape), you can Request Desktop Site through the ᴀA button in Safari or a similar menu in other browsers.

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks but it’s ok on my phone. But when I’m using the big 12.9 iPad Pro it can be very glaring. I just hadn’t been aware why it was different on the 2. But now I realize I have the iPad set to always request desktop site which I don’t on my phone. I kept looking for some manual setting I had inadvertently enabled on the iPad but couldn’t find one. Didn’t know about desktop site versus mobile version.

• @pappjo – Ah, I see. I'm with you now. :)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

It's not as good as native support by a website itself, but an App like Noir (or one of its competitors) might help?

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/noir-dark-mode-for-safari/id1581140954

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member
    Options

I use Noir all the time. It’s very effective and much appreciated. It will cause certain display issues on some sites. Nothing critical that I’ve seen but noticeable. But you’re correct if the site offers such a setting it is preferable.

• ag_tommy
    edited October 2022
    Options

I forgot about Noir. Thanks @XIII for reminding me of it.

and brand new feature in iOS 16: Focus Filters.

Seems interesting. I'm getting more and more into focus.

This discussion has been closed.