Password History not updating

mmacdonell
mmacdonell
Community Member

Since upgrading to v8, I'm finding that old passwords are NOT being saved to the history when changed. Is this controlled by a setting of some sort? Note, the new password was not generated through the Password Generator but manually entered on an Identities entry in the password field. I can see the history, which does contain older passwords for the identity, just nothing recent (since 8).

1Password Version: 8.8.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @mmacdonell,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. The password history is currently available in 1Password 8 apps for login and password items. As mentioned, I can also see where the history is appearing in other item types when previously changed in past versions of 1Password. I've added these details a +1 on your behalf to a feature request we're currently tracking.

As an additional note, you can see password history for any item on 1Password.com (or .ca.eu): View and restore previous versions of items

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

ref: IDEA-I-288

• mmacdonell
    mmacdonell
    Community Member

Thanks Mike! I did find that capability of viewing previous versions of items; that was the only saving grace. :)

• ag_mike_d
    edited August 2022

Hello again @mmacdonell! You're most welcome and I'm glad to hear you found that capability and it helped. 👍

• BobMey
    BobMey
    Community Member

I'd also like to see it available in the app like previously. I don't want to have to login to a website to view previous passwords (like when I have to update and forgot to put on my clipboard before changing a sites password).

• Hi @BobMey - I've added your voice to this feature request. Thanks!

ref: IDEA-I-288

• httperr418
    httperr418
    Community Member

Yes this has just bitten me badly, having to reinstall a host because of this issue. Not only did it not save the generated password in any password history, although it allowed me to generate the password within the New Item dialog, that generated password did not save into the item's password field in my vault when I saved the item, which is arguably worse.

• TaylorD1P
    TaylorD1P
    1Password Alumni

Hi @httperr418

I am sorry to hear that. I have added your +1 vote to the feature request.

Thank you for your patience.

• hardybird
    hardybird
    Community Member

Today, I changed my password on Apple.com and it did not successfully update in 1Password (even though I clicked 'Update' on the 1Password dialogue box). Immediately following clicking that, 1Password installed and auto-update to a newer version. I assume that is what caused the problem. When I went to view the password history for Apple.com (checking both the 1Password app and website), there was no history available. I then changed the Apple password again manually, and now properly see one history item (which was the password before the failed attempt). Just wanted you to know this issue occurred.

• Hello @hardybird,

Thanks for your message and I'm happy to hear you were able to recover and are properly seeing the password history now.

As mentioned, it sounds like the update interrupted this process while updating the password through 1Password 8 for Windows. I appreciate you reporting this issue. If you run into any troubles again in the future, but can't associate it with other interruptions such as this, please let us know.

Have you tried the following guide to, Change your password in your browser instead of the app? Let us what you think about this process or if you have any further questions. Thanks again!

This discussion has been closed.