Limit search to a certain category

Options

Hi,
maybe this is a layer8-problem but I can't seem to find a way to limit the search to a certain category, e.g. I want to search all documents and only documents for an item. How do I do that? Am I missing something?

1Password Version: 8.9.7 (80907007)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hey there @Manaburner

You can use the search filter =category: to limit your search to a particular category of items. There are other, similar, filters you can use as well, which you can find in the "Search filters" section of this article from the 1Password Support website:

Search 1Password to find what you need

Have a try of that and let me know how you find it. :)

— Grey

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @GreyM1P
    thank you for the link. I tried and it worked as expected.
    However I must say having to build search filters that way is not really a pleasant experience and not something that I'm used to when using 1P software.
    Are there improvements for this on the roadmap?

• @Manaburner

I know our Product team are always looking at ways we can improve 1Password and there are open conversations about most areas of the 1Password experience, including Search. Because 1Password 8 was a complete rewrite from scratch, it's given us the opportunity to look at the features of 1Password and ask whether or not they still have a place. We love customer feedback about this, because we don't know how customers use 1Password unless they tell us! The key objective for our Product and Development teams is to balance reintroducing features, fixing bugs, and working on the longer-term projects. It's a difficult balance to maintain, and it won't always be perfect. I'll add this discussion to the conversation about advanced searching so that our Product team can see it. I can see why reintroducing something like the advanced search functionality of 1Password 7 would be useful, so I'm submitting a vote for that on your behalf. There isn't anything to share right now about if or when that'll happen, but we do appreciate the insight that feedback like yours gives us.

Please let me know if you have any questions, or would like any further help.

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member
    Options

@GreyM1P
    Thank you :)
    Maybe some kind of search builder, like the one in Gmail, would already be helpful, so users don't have to figure out what search parameters are available.
    Or, as you said, bring back the search functionality from 1P 7.

• @Manaburner – You're very welcome. If you need anything from us, you can either post about it here on the Community, or email us directly at support@1password.com and we'll be able to assist. :)

This discussion has been closed.