When I login to 1Password on Ubuntu Linux, the Firefox extension does not unlock

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member

On Windows 10, when I log into the 1Password desktop app, my Chrome browser extension unlocks at the same time. However, when I login to the desktop app on Ubuntu Linux, my Firefox browser extension does not unlock... I have to login separately, which is not convenient. Suggestions for me?

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: 2.3.8
OS Version: Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS
Browser:_ Firefox 105.0.3

Comments

• Hey @Peter_Wang, thanks for reaching out.

Is the Firefox app installed on your Linux machine the one that's installed by default with Ubuntu 22.04? The reason I ask is that such default installations are packaged using Snap, which sandboxes Firefox and would prevent any browser extensions (like ours) from communicating out to a desktop app like 1Password for Linux. If you're using the default Firefox installation, I think that's the most likely cause for this issue.

Let me know if that's the case!

Ali

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

That's probably right. How do I reinstall Firefox without the barriers to extension communications?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
  • Hey @Peter_Wang, you can follow the steps listed here: Install Firefox on Linux from Mozilla builds

Be sure to remove the Snap install of Firefox on your system as well! Let me know how that goes or if you have any questions.

Ali

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

@AliH1P The install went fine, but when I used the old toolbar icon for Firefox, it kept on launching the Snap install, then I realized I had to abandon that old icon. Everything was fresh, so I put in 1Password extension, reimport my bookmarks, logged into all accounts, and we'll see how it behaves. If you don't hear anything more, it worked. If it fails, to work like Microsoft Windows 10, I'll come back.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@AliH1P well, unlocking the Linux app does not unlock the Firefox extension, and Firefox application binary is in /opt/firefox/firefox-bin. I could just set the extension to never autolock... is that a good idea? What is a security best practice?

• Hey @Peter_Wang, thanks for getting back to us. I'm sorry to hear you're still encountering issues with the browser and app integration. While you can certainly adjust your auto lock settings, from a security perspective you will just need to be cautious of anyone that may have physical access to your device.

With that said, we'll be happy to investigate this issue further. I'd like to ask you for some logs from your device:

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+linux@1password.com.

With your email please include:

Looking forward to hearing from you!

• jfbilletts
    jfbilletts
    Community Member

Hi all. Not to hijack the thread but I'm having the exact same issue here even after following the steps to remove the Snap version of Firefox and installing the version discussed in the "Install Firefox on Linux from Mozilla builds" site. Anything else that can be done?

• Hey @jfbilletts, thanks for reaching out. We can certainly look into this further for you. As a next step, we'll need to see some logs to determine what's causing the issue. I'll ask you to follow the same steps from above to send us the logs from your device:

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+linux@1password.com.

Ali

• Yukigamine
    Yukigamine
    Community Member

Were solutions to these issues ever found? I am encountering the same issue. Using the version of Firefox that came default with KDE Neon, which is NOT Snap or Flatpak. Installed 1Password from the Ubuntu/Focal repo.

• Hey @Yukigamine,

I'd be glad to look into this issue for you. We'll need to see some logs to determine what's causing the issue. I'll ask you to follow the same steps from above to send us the logs from your device:

Franky

• RogueScholar
    RogueScholar
    Community Member

@Peter_Wang, have you added the location of your Mozilla build of Firefox to /etc/1password/custom_allowed_browsers? I had to create that directory and file manually from the terminal with sudo mkdir -v /etc/1password; sudoedit /etc/1password/custom_allowed_browsers and place the path to the binary executable for Vivaldi Snapshot on its own line in that file before the browser extension was able to communicate with the 1Password app. At the time I thought to understand that doing so would be necessary for all non-default browser installations which is why I mention it here, though it's possible I misunderstood. Hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck, from one Peter to another. 😎

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

I followed these steps and it worked:

Thanks for your patience. I can see that Firefox is currently owned by your user instead of by root.

We require that owner of those files to be root. This is so another process can't alter them and gain access to your data. By default this is how Firefox is installed.

You can change the ownership of the files by running the following command in terminal:
    sudo chown -R root:root /opt/firefox

Before running that command it is suggested to completely quit 1Password and Firefox.

Let me know how that goes for you or if you get stuck at any step along the way.

Kind regards,

Ali Hazime
    Customer Support @ 1Password
    https://support.1password.com/

• Hi @Peter_Wang,

Thank you for passing along this information. I'm glad to hear you were able to resolve the issue with those steps!

Franky

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited June 2023

Hello, I am seeing the issue come up again... I have to enter my master password in the 1Password application and the Firefox extension separately. This is Ubuntu Linux. sudo chown -R root:root /opt/firefox is not resolving it. I closed Firefox 114.0 and 1Password 8.10.7 before running chown. Any ideas?

• Hi @Peter_Wang,

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue again.

Can I have you confirm if you're using the Snap version of Firefox? We've had reports where other users had to revert back to the Deb version after Firefox auto updated.

Franky

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Ah yes, I noticed it was auto-updating, so it must be snap. How to I get back to and stay back on the debian version? Thanks.

• Hi @Peter_Wang! You can check if you're on the Snap version by running snap list in a terminal and seeing whether Firefox is listed. If it does turn out to be the Snap version, you may find the below guide helpful here:

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions, let us know!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Thanks that fixed it!

• Hi @Peter_Wang,

I'm glad to hear the solution worked for you!

If you have any further questions feel free to contact us anytime!

Franky

• autostatic
    autostatic
    Community Member
    edited July 2023

Having the same issue, even after installing Firefox from the Mozilla Team PPA. What would be the best way forward in debugging this?

• autostatic
    autostatic
    Community Member

Fixed this by adding the following lines to /etc/apparmor.d/usr.bin.firefox:

# Native Messaging
    owner @{HOME}/.mozilla/**/native-messaging-hosts/** ixr,

# 1Password extension
    /opt/1Password/1Password-BrowserSupport ixr,
    /run/user/1000/1Password-BrowserSupport.sock ixr,
    /run/user/1000/1Password-BrowserSupport.sock wr,

Then I restarted AppArmor with systemctl restart apparmor and now the 1Password Firefox extension unlocks when I unlock the desktop app and vice versa. Solution inspired by https://github.com/keepassxreboot/keepassxc-browser/wiki/Troubleshooting-guide#6-apparmor-with-ubuntu

• Hey @autostatic, I'm glad to hear you were able to resolve the issue. Thanks for sharing what worked for you!

Ali

This discussion has been closed.