1Password 8, Mac app, takes forever to actually fill UN/PW fields

AL13
AL13
Community Member

Hi. I have always only used 1Password Mac app (without the extension as it seemed redundant). Could do everything I wanted, including creating logins and complex passwords on the fly.

I'm now running 1Password 8 (have been for a few months). Love the new interface. It's awesome. That said, some things have gotten progressively worse for me.

1. I have always clicked Cmd-\ to get the pop-over and half the time it doesn't show up any more as of the past month. Reverting to Cmd-Shift-Space seems to get it to work. Not the biggest issue, but very hit or miss and annoying.
  2. The biggest problem I have is that when I finally select a credential, it will literally take 10-15 seconds on average to fill it. I sit. I wait. Sometimes it never actually finishes, but when it does it's ALWAYS greater than 5 seconds. This has been going on for at least a month now.
  3. Not being able to generate a new login and password out of the Mac app is absurd. How is that still not a feature? I've been told by support to go to a password generator website for this. Come on. Then manually create a login every time? Total reversion of functionality.

To re-iterate, I really care the most about #2 right now.

I'm running MacOS Monterey, 1Password 8, and Chrome (all of which are the latest versions as of the time of this post). I'm almost always quickly up to date.

THANK YOU for any help.
Cheers,
Al

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS Monterey 12.6
Browser:_ Chrome 106.0.5249.103

Comments

• Hi @AL13 πŸ‘‹πŸ»

Thanks for your kind words about 1Password 8! I'm sorry to hear some parts of the experience aren't behaving as expected though, I'm happy to help. Regarding keyboard shortcuts, command + \ by default triggers autofill. If 1Password doesn't detect an app or website to fill, it'll open Quick Access. So you're spot on that if you want to reliably use Quick Access, the default command + shift + space shortcut is the better bet. Alternatively, you can edit these shortcuts in 1Password's preferences:

The performance issue you describe certainly doesn't sound like what we envision. The next time it happens, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can connect the two conversations. Hopefully that'll give us the information we need to figure out what's happening!

Lastly, I understand your point about the password generator. While one can be found in the latest 1Password browser extensions, this poses a problem for users who don't use those. We have an open feature request to bring a password generator to the app itself and so I've added a vote on your behalf. πŸ‘πŸ»

Let me know if you have any questions, I'm looking forward to investigating further with you. πŸ™‚

ref: IDEA-I-298

• nujwoo
    nujwoo
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

Having the same issue here. Autofill (cmd-'\') takes 5-10 seconds to get the pop-up and more than 5 seconds to fill in after the selection.

• AL13
    AL13
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

@andrew.l_1P I've submitted.

Support ID: [#DIM-52421-566]

THANK YOU!

• Thanks for the confirmation @AL13, I've sent a reply your way so look out for that. πŸ™‚

Hi @nujwoo, sorry to hear you're experiencing something similar. Could I confirm if this happening with apps or in your browser? Are you using any of the 1Password browser extensions? Let me know and we can investigate further!

ref: DIM-52421-566

• coltonidle
    coltonidle
    Community Member

Came here to report the same issue + ask for a feature request.

While 1password is "thinking" can we add some sort of spinner or something so I know something is going on?

A common scenario since it hangs for like 10 seconds sometimes is that I think the autofill failed, then I switch tabs, and then it starts autofilling/asking me to update the autofill info for the wrong website.

Really annoying!

• Hi @coltonidle πŸ‘‹πŸ»

Thanks for sharing your idea, I can definitely see how it would be useful, especially in the face of this behaviour. To confirm you're experiencing the same bug affecting other users, could I ask if you're seeing this delay when filling apps or in a browser? If the latter, could you tell me which browser and if you're noticing it across different websites? If you're able to test multiple browsers, it would also help to know if you notice the same behaviour across them.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience this has caused and look forward to hearing more about what you're seeing so we can track it properly on our end. πŸ‘πŸ»

ref: dev/core/core#17385

• nujwoo
    nujwoo
    Community Member

@andrew.l_1P It happends in the browser (Chrome) and yes I'm using the browser extension for Chrome.

• coltonidle
    coltonidle
    Community Member

I'm on an m1 mac. Using latest stable 1password 8. Issues of delayed autofill affects me in chrome stable. I am not using any browser ext for 1pass.

• @nujwoo & @coltonidle,

Thanks so much for the additional details. I suspect you're both experiencing the same bug @AL13 surfaced. While I don't have a fix to share at the moment, we are actively investigating and looking for a solution. I've added you both to our internal tracker and, while I recognize it may not be plausible for everyone, one option is to use a different browser in the meantime as this behaviour only seems to affect Chrome.

I hope to have good news to share in the future, do let me know if you notice anything similar in other browsers!

• coltonidle
    coltonidle
    Community Member

Let me know if there's some easy way to collect logs or something. its pretty easy to reproduce for me. pretty much like every time.

• coltonidle
    coltonidle
    Community Member

For what its worth, i tried to be helpful and updated to beta to see if there was a diff in speed. nope.
    then i updated to nightly. also nope.
    πŸ˜„

• Really appreciate the initiative, @coltonidle! If you're open to sharing your console logs and diagnostic report after reproducing the issue, we're always happy to have more information to work with. Both can be sent to support+forum@1password.com:

In your email, please also include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here, this will help us link the conversations.

Thanks for taking the time to help out, I'll do my best to update this thread once we have something to share! πŸ™‚

• davidweb
    davidweb
    Community Member

Hi! I just updated to 1password 8 and I also have this issue. It seems to be a performance/optimization problem. I've been using 1password for years and never had that problem, but having used it for years also means I have a lot of data and passwords stored. Seems to happen on Chrome with the extension installed, sometimes the browser tab freezes altogether so maybe it's a problem with the extension more than the app itself? πŸ€”

• nandastone
    nandastone
    Community Member

+1 on this issue.

• VwChris
    VwChris
    Community Member

I too am on an M1 mac and am experiencing this issue. It actually locks chrome up completely for me while this happens, sometimes for 10+ seconds before it finally all unlocks. I'll grab a diagnostic log and upload it as well.

• Hi @davidweb, @nandastone, and @VwChris πŸ‘‹πŸ»

Appreciate the info here, I'll add you folks as impacted users. Our understanding so far is that this is exclusive to Chrome, but if you're noticing the same behaviour in another browser please let us know.

Any diagnostic reports + console logs you're open to sharing are welcomed at support+forum@1password.com along with a link to this thread and your forum username:

Ideally generated right after you notice the bug. I'll post an update here once we have something to share. πŸ™‚

• sliver489
    sliver489
    Community Member

I'm having the same issue. I've noticed that it gets worse over time. The longer 1password is open or maybe chrome, the worse the performance is

• @sliver489

I'm sorry to hear that you're affected by the issue, I've added your report to the internal work item so that our developers are aware. If you're willing to do so, we would appreciate any diagnostics reports or console logs that you can send in via email to help with our investigation. Please see my colleague's post above for instructions on how to send in the reports/logs: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/661875/#Comment_661875

-Dave

• drewe20001
    drewe20001
    Community Member

Same here. I even just updated to 1PW 8.9.8, have the latest Chrome (107.0.5304.87), and the latest MacOS (Ventura 13.0), on an M1 MacBook.
    95+% of the time when I try to fill in a field in Chrome using 1Password 8, it hangs and hangs and hangs. Often for well over 10-30 seconds, sometimes a lot longer (over 1 minute). I can't even click to another tab or window most of the time, and even if I do then eventually 1Password sometimes starts typing the data on the wrong webpage. I can't go to another app. My entire computer locks up until 1Password deems it available for my use with the spinning beachball, which I haven't seen in what feel like years.

1Password 7 was clean, lightning fast, reliable, and extremely good at what it did. 1Password 8... is NONE of those things. And it's been in testing for a year or so?!

Sometimes it locks up just the tab, sometimes the whole browser, and usually the whole computer. If I'm patient, and go physically to do something else or look out the window, it eventually does work. Sometimes. Other times I wait it out and nothing was accomplished. It's hard to replicate, but it happens often enough that it's extremely irritating considering how much I need to use 1Password. (I've been using it since it first came out and this is the first time I remember something like this being so frustrating about 1Password. It really affects quality of life to have to unpredictably wait for an unpredictable amount of time just to be able to enter a password.)

Restarting the browser or the computer does not help. But that's not a reasonable answer, even if it did work. As much as I hate it, I am forced to use Chrome for my work.

I am a huge 1Password advocate - everyone I can tell about it has heard about it, and I subscribed to it for my company and employees. I'm suddenly feeling like the rug got pulled out from under me. I'm afraid that I'm forced to downgrade to version 7 (unsupported, no more updates.... a big deal for such a critical security tool), and will have to downgrade everyone else too. If this does not get better, I will have to find another solution, which makes me very sad since I have been a 1Password advocate since it was first released.

(Irony of ironies, 1Password locked Chrome up so badly that the Recaptcha had expired by the time the registration was submitted to join this forum, so I had to start over and enter and save my information by hand, then store it later in 1Password. And this is because my original login, all stored in 1Password, was refused. I've never had that much trouble joining a website before... unbelievable!)

• Hi @drewe20001 ,

Thanks for reporting this, I'm sorry to hear it's been disruptive to your workflow. I appreciate your long standing confidence in what we do and would be happy to help troubleshoot any unexpected behaviour you're experiencing with 1Password 8.

Regarding this issue specifically, there aren't any updates to share at this time. Since using another browser is off the table, we have had some reports of this bug being remedied by using Chrome's nightly build, Chrome Canary. Non-production releases do undergo less testing than their counterparts though so there is an increased risk of other issues occurring.

I'll share any other updates as they become available, thanks for your patience!

• eljt1
    eljt1
    Community Member

@andrew.l_1P I'm having similar issues but on Safari. The toolbar icon flat out only works maybe 25% of the time. Clicking on it often does nothing, or brings up the outline of the helper app and is blank inside. If I wait 5-10 seconds, it sometimes will unlock and load. When it does manage to load, it'll often say "No suggestions found" for the website I"m on for a solid 5+ seconds and then finally suggest the password for that site.

• Hi @eljt1,

Thanks for reporting this, apologies for any interruption it's caused to your workflow. Our understanding of the bug so far is that it's related to something specific to Chrome, so as a preliminary step I'd like to ask you to remove and then reinstall 1Password for Safari:

If the issue persists afterwards, please go ahead and send a console log over to us at support+forum@1password.com along with a link to this thread and your username:

Save a console log for 1Password in your browser

This will help us investigate the issue further. Thanks, let me know how things go! πŸ™‚

• drewe20001
    drewe20001
    Community Member

I'll just chime in here that I'm having very similar frustration no matter what browser I use. This may be partly related to Chrome, but my experience (and based on the posts all over these forums) makes me think it's also (if not only) something inside of 1Password 8.
    I can't get it to work in Safari. I can't get it to work in any useful way in Chrome. I have the same problem in Brave.

1Password 8 the APP works ok, but what's the point of having to manually copy and paste from inside 1Password every time? (when it does "release" my browser so that I can start pasting in login information, at least). I haven't updated to 1Password 8 on my iDevices, and at this rate I plan to delay that for as long as possible.

• coltonidle
    coltonidle
    Community Member

Does no one at the 1password exec team use a mac and chrome? This seems like a p0 to me.

I will try chrome canary for now, but like was mentioned before. I dont think this is exclusive to chrome. but ill give it a shot.

• rhrpdx
    rhrpdx
    Community Member

I'm having the same problem with Safari. Help!

• rhrpdx
    rhrpdx
    Community Member

I tried the fix you sugested to eljt1. It did not help.

• @drewe20001, @coltonidle, and @rhrpdx,

Sorry to hear unexpected behaviour is persisting. The existing issue we're tracking is specific to Chrome (@coltonidle, did you see any better results with Chrome Canary?) so if you're noticing something similar with other browsers, I encourage you to send over a diagnostic report and console log so we can dig deeper:

These can be attached to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com. Please include your forum usernames and a link to this thread in that email so we can link the conversations.

I'll also share our general troubleshooting guide for the 1Password browser extension in the meantime, in case there are any steps there you haven't tried already:

Thanks for your patience, looking forward to getting to the bottom of this with you all. πŸ‘πŸ»

• coltonidle
    coltonidle
    Community Member

I don't know if anything updated, but hanging has gone down from like 20 seconds to like 3.

• @coltonidle

I'm happy to hear that things seem to have improved on your end, are you using Chrome Canary or the regular version of Google Chrome?

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.