Chrome keeps locking 1PW extension

Options

Today I noticed a new misbehavior — the 1PW icon in an entry field in Chrome shows as unlocked (and the extension is in fact unlocked) but as soon as I try to select login credentials from the list of matches, it turns the icon into lock state, and nothing happens. It's noteworthy that Cmd-backslash works fine and fills the credentials as expected.

1Password Version: 8.9.6
Extension Version: 2.4.6
OS Version: Mac OS 12.6
Browser:_ Chrome 106.0.5249.91

Comments

• fuchsr
    fuchsr
    Community Member
    Options

Quick update: I just updated to 8.9.7 and restarted my Mac. Same behavior.

Here's the login screen from nytimes.com. I click on the (unlocked) 1PW icon, the dropdown shows me my (two) saved logins:

When I select either one of them, the icon turns into Locked, otherwise nothing happens:

BTW, the 1PW icon on the menu bar also changes status. Interestingly, when I click on the (now) locked icon, it turns into unlock, and shows me the saved logins again, and the cycle begins again.

Also, bringing up the quick fill dialog — even if the 1PW icon is Locked — shows me the correct saved logins and I can work with them.

• r3volution11
    r3volution11
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also experiencing the same issue in Chrome and Vivaldi using 1Password 8.9.7 on Mac. The extension version is 2.4.6.

• fuchsr
    fuchsr
    Community Member
    Options

Another observation:

Seems to work okay with Safari, so I suspect it's an issue with the Chrome extension.

• fuchsr
    fuchsr
    Community Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

1PW provided me with the fix. Basically, uninstall, then re-install the 1PW extension:

1. Clear Chrome's cache by following the instructions posted here: Clear Cache & Cookies
    2. Right-click on the 1Password icon on Chrome's toolbar and then select Remove from Chrome.
    3. Install a fresh copy of 1Password from here: Get started with 1Password in your browser
    4. Close and then open Chrome again, wait a few seconds, and then try to use 1Password to fill a login from the inline menu.

EDIT: No need to clear the cache. Just uninstalling and reinstalling did the job for me.

• Thanks fuchsr

Hopefully, the steps will help someone else. I'm glad you're up and going again.

• whitlabs
    whitlabs
    Community Member
    Options

re-installing Chrome extension fixed for me too

• Thanks whitlabs for that confirmation.

• whitlabs
    whitlabs
    Community Member
    Options

spoke too soon

randomly logged out extension when desktop app is still logged in

• ptmc518
    ptmc518
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the steps to fix, this was really annoying but uninstalling and reinstalling the extension fixed it for me too!

• julesmorgan
    julesmorgan
    Community Member
    Options

It seemed like this fixed it....until I turned off the 'Automatically Lock 1Password', at which point it started happening again. I suspect for a lot of people the reinstall is just returning that setting to its default which is why it seems like it's working.

This discussion has been closed.