I cannot install the 1Password 8 browser extension in Safari after upgrading from 7 [SOLVED]

Options
milleron
milleron
Community Member
edited October 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

I installed 1 Password 8 without uninstalling 1Password 7. I thought that doing that would simply upgrade 7 to 8. It did not. I ended up with both versions. It turned out that the Safari browser extension was from 7 although I was using 8. That required signing into both the main app and the browser app after rebooting or restarting.
I therefor uninstalled 1Password 7 and, with it, the 1Password 7 browser extension in Safari. NOW, I canNOT install the extension for 8
After using 1 Password 8 Preferences/Browser/Get 1Password for your Browser, it takes me to the App Store, and "1 Password for Safari" shows as Installed. I then click on "Open" in the App Store, but nothing happens.

• I've restarted 1Password 8
  • I've quit and restarted Safari
  • I've restarted the iMac (Monterey 12.6)
  • I've tried manually inserting the the 1P icon from "Customize Toolbar," but there's no 1Password icon to drag onto the Toolbar
  • I've used 1Password/Help/Troubleshooting/Fix Missing Safari Extension but nothing happens

I seemed to have exhausted all the things that have been suggested to get 1Password 8 to work with Safari. Any suggestions?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Cannot install Safari browser extension for 1Password 8 after upgrading from 7

Comments

• @milleron

Can you confirm you have opened 1Password in the browser (extension) once and followed the instructions? Can you double check to make sure 1Password for Safari is in your Applications folder?

You would want to install 1Password in Safari on your Mac for use with 1Password 8. Please open it at least once and follow the directions being sure to all it access to all sites. We need that permission to read (save details), write (fill details) on your behalf.

That required signing into both the main app and the browser app after rebooting or restarting.

Makes me think yes, but best to be sure.

Please consider adding your details to your posting. Not really super helpful at this given time because you did a great job on your own but mainly for future use should you need us. Which version of 1Password is in use? 1Password 8 is a new install it will not be installed over the top as you noted.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Browser:_ Not Provided

• milleron
    milleron
    Community Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

I did confirm that 1 Password for Safari is in the applications folder.
    The first time I clicked the Fix Missing Safari Extension, nothing happened, and I repeated a few of the steps just to make sure, but nada, zilch, zip.

After posting the inquiry, for some reason, I tried the Help/Fix Missing Safari Extension again, just out of desperation, I guess, and I DID then see it in Safari/Preferences/Extensions. Checking its empty box made it appear in the Safari Toolbar in the same position in which the Safari 7 extension icon had been before I uninstalled it. And it does, in fact, work

• @milleron

Ha you sound like you have some of my luck. The dood things is that you're going again. Let us know if that should happen to change.

This discussion has been closed.