Delete 1Password 7 after downloading 1Password 8?

daveonbass
daveonbass
Community Member

Since 1Password 8 isn’t just an upgrade to 1Password 7, I now have two apps. Should I delete 1Password 7 on mobile products after downloading 1Password 8? Don’t think this affects desktop versions at all. But, no need for two apps, right?

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1Password 8 app

Comments

• quantumcosmic
    quantumcosmic
    Community Member

I recommend keeping 7 and waiting for 8 to flesh out better. Tons of annoying issues in 8 I am restoring from a backup to get 7 back hopefully.

• mrZeld
    mrZeld
    Community Member

Don’t delete 7 yet. You will probably need to open it occasionally to do something simple that 8 doesn’t do.

• CMYKirk
    CMYKirk
    Community Member

No kidding "Don't delete 7 yet"! Initially, I don't care for 8 at all. Mainly because of the workaround ability to "find" keywords inside notes that I often used in v7, but I also don't care for the sorting by "Frequently Used", "Recently Created", etc.

Find functionality MUST be in any version of 1Password! Good grief, why would it be remove!d?! I can't believe the radical change... to make it worse!

• Hello @daveonbass! 👋

Thank you for updating to 1Password 8 for iOS! Once you've confirmed that you can see all of your items in 1Password 8 you can indeed remove the old 1Password 7 app: Delete apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

If you would like to ever install 1Password 7 in the future then you can do so from the Purchased tab in the App Store: Re-download apps and games from Apple – Apple Support (UK)

-Dave

• daveonbass
    daveonbass
    Community Member

How do I confirm I can see all items? 1password 7 gives a total (I have 694 items). 1password 8 does not…

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

@daveonbass
    Just open "All entries" in 1Password 8 on iOS. Then click the sort button on the top right. Here you should see the count of your items.

• mbierman
    mbierman
    Community Member

I just notic3d I have both 1Password 7 and 1Password 8 on my iOS. I Elantra to delete 7 but I can’t find it in the App Library. Not sure how that is even possible. How do I resolve this?

• @mbierman

Is the device subject to limitations such as Screen Time? If so, the app may be hidden due to restrictions. You may need to get those lifted. That's the only thing that comes to mind at the moment. You may need to talk to Apple as to why the app is not showing up. Again, my best guess is some type of restrictions. I say that because I enabled Screen Time on my own device to track usage and it disabled sign out of iCloud. So restrictions would seem to fit. Sorry to ramble on.

• mbierman
    mbierman
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

@ag_tommy I am the screen time admin. I see nothing that stops me from deleting apps. To be clear, 1Password 7 was deleted, but the safari extension still shows up. That seems sloppy.

• The extension is part of both apps. Is it enabled in 1Password 8? In your earlier post you mentioned the App Library which would be the app. Can you clarify what you are looking to do?

• mbierman
    mbierman
    Community Member

@ag_tommy sorry, I was mixing up my iPad and iPhone. iPhone 1password 7 was in fact deleted. I had missed it somehow in the app library on iPad which is why I saw it under Settings > Safari > Extensions. All good now. Sorry for wasting your time.

• @mbierman

Oh, I got you. Been there done that myself. Nope, you're not wasting my time at all. I'm here to help others. I'm here to help you. It's one of the reasons I started out in the community all those years ago. We're like a very big family. I welcome talking to you at any time.

• rickwiley
    rickwiley
    Community Member

I have 1password 8 on my iPhone. When I move my cursor to insert a user name or password my autofill says it is finding the information in 1password 7. I click on the autofill and using face recogntion it fills the fields. Why is it saying 1password 7? Have I dine something wrong. I only seem to have 8 on my iPhone.

• Kakkoister2
    Kakkoister2
    Community Member

@rickwiley I would also do a spotlight search to make sure you still don't have 1PW7 installed and sign out of it and remove the app, so you only have 1PW8 installed

• CMYKirk
    CMYKirk
    Community Member

I am wondering if anyone has tried 1Password7 with the new Ventura iOS, finding any issues or problems? I have already decided NOT to implement 1Password8, since I do NOT care for it over 7.

• Kakkoister2
    Kakkoister2
    Community Member

@CMYKirk Do you mean iOS 16? I would suggest you do download 1 Password 8 and give it another try. 1 Password 7, only now receives security patches, as 1 Password 8 is the future and the best place to see everything new from the 1 Password team. I would suggest since 1 Password is a security product at its core, you make sure you're using the latest version, to keep everything you have in it protected.

• CMYKirk
    CMYKirk
    Community Member

No, I am talking about the OS for my iMac, the new OS is called Ventura. It is the desktop version, although I still have 1Password7 on my iPhone, too.

Does 1Password8 now have a SEARCH feature?

• @rickwiley

Please make sure that Password AutoFill is enabled for 1Password 8 and not 1Password 7 if you have both apps installed:

1. On the Home screen, tap Settings.
    2. Tap Passwords > Password Options.
    3. Turn on AutoFill Passwords.
    4. Select 1Password.
    5. De-select 1Password 7 (if you see it).

Then try to fill your login again using this guide: Use 1Password to fill and save on your iPhone and iPad

@CMYKirk

I have both 1Password 7 and 1Password 8 installed on my Mac running macOS Ventura and I'm not personally seeing any issues. However, with the launch of 1Password 8 for Mac, 1Password 7 for Mac is no longer supported and will only receive important security updates. We strongly encourage you to update to the latest and greatest version as soon as you have the chance.

1Password 8 does indeed have a search feature, you can learn more here: Search 1Password to find what you need

I hope that helps! 🙂

-Dave

• tsee
    tsee
    Community Member

I 've been a happy 1Password user on iOS and Macs for years. Just decided to make the switch to 8 on iOS (already switched one of my Macs). Is there a technical reason why the upgrade is not a simple upgrade button on 7 to move to 8(probably is)? Anyway, I found the download button for 8, and installed. That worked great! I click around in 1password8 on iOS and everything looks great!

Ok next surprise 1password7 is still there :) Hmm boot up the laptop, google search, and I find this outstanding thread ! awesome.
    This gives me confidence that i should just delete 7. There will be some "growing pain" as I get 8 integrated , i.e. get the right permissions back on iOS, in browsers, ...

When I booted 1password 8 for the first time there are a number of "help" type screens that come up. I didn't see on for "Hey you can/should delete 1password7 at any time" . Is there such an article? Why isn't it the first thing i see when I launched 1password 8 for the first time?

Thanks for listening!
    -Tom

This discussion has been closed.